DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK SSSI blanket drone ban - ridiculous!

Gobuchul

Reactions
I've only had my Mavic Pro a few days and have really been enjoying it.

I have completed the flyer test and registered it.

I live on the Northumberland Coast and thought I had been following all the rules and guidelines from the drone code. However, today I discovered that there is a complete ban on flying a drone from or over a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI). This means the majority of the UK coast, which isn't a "built-up" area is out of bounds. Basically all of the NE coast is a SSSI.

So you can water ski, jet ski, fish, dive, sail, kite surf, land yacht, ride a horse and paraglide but you can't fly a drone.

Absolutely ridiculous.

I will continue to fly and follow the drone code but will be ignoring the SSSI ban.

First off WELCOME to the forum.

By "ignoring" the BAN you are potentially causing future problems for you and your fellow UAS operators in the UK.

Is it really worth that? Really?

It's completely unjustified.

Also, I doubt many people are fully aware of how much of the UK is designated as a SSSI.

It covers the vast areas of the UK countryside.

In the UK we are not allowed to fly in built up areas, a built up area includes villages, as well as towns and cities. So we need to fly in rural areas, a very large percentage of these are designated SSSI.

A SSSI designation is there to protect the environment, as there are particular species of plants and animals that are considered important. So why can I launch and operate my 5.5m 100hp RIB in the same place where I am not allowed to fly a small drone? What harm could the drone do to the environment?

"there is a complete ban on flying a drone from or over a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI). This means the majority of the UK coast, which isn't a "built-up" area is out of bounds. Basically all of the NE coast is a SSSI
I will continue to fly and follow the drone code but will be ignoring the SSSI ban."

Launching, operating or landing (except in case of emergency) any hang glider,
micro-light aircraft, hot-air balloon, paraglider, model aircraft, sky lantern, unmanned
aerial vehicle (‘drone’) or similar airborne contrivance at a height or location that
may disturb the features of special scientific interest [specify features] .
++++
Drones or model aircraft should not be flown on, or over Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) or Special Protection Areas (SPAs) without consent from Natural England.
++++
As a Site of Special Scientific Interest, use of a drone over the reserve that disturbs the features for which the site has been designated could be construed as third party damage to the SSSI, which would be a criminal offence. Use of a drone over a SSSI could require consent from NE.

BY definition "may" "should not be" etc. are not mandatory classifications but mean more awareness/common sense regarding what the SSSI or SPAs is about.
e.g breeding season for birds animals etc. or disturbance/damage etc.
I always check online for information regarding the area I intend to visit/fly for any local laws restrictions.Otherwise follow the drone code and be considerate of others.

Reactions: Gobuchul and bumper
What DHAirbus posted is correct. It just requires some common sense. If the reason for being an SSSI is because of some geological formation then you are generally going to be good to go as long as you don't crash into it, although ideally you should (note that it does not say "must" or "shall" which would be imperatives) get that consent from NE.

If, however it's a nesting ground for some rare birds or similar, then it'll almost certainly be time of year dependant. In that instance checking with NE and getting their explicit permission first is definitely going to be a good idea. If you are seen to be disturbing the creatures in question and subsequently identified then you may be indeed be looking at criminal offence; this is something that people *have* been succesfully prosecuted for this in the past. Any form of property damage, etc. goes without saying I would hope.

Unlike the NT or EH, they *are* a little more flexible on this, and also actively use drones in their work so are well aware of what flights are going to entail. I've asked for, and got, permission to fly at SSSIs on several occassions now - sometimes even just by ringing up their number on the spur the moment because there was a good photo op. That said, I've also been declined a few times too, although always with good reason like nesting birds (for me at least, it's *always* been related to fauna, never flora or geology).

FYI, NE's general number is 0300 060 3900, and is available from 8:30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday excluding public holidays. If you have a bit more time, then you can also email them at [email protected]

Thanks for all the information, that makes a lot more sense.

This started when I saw a notice posted on the village green at Bamburgh by Bamburgh Castle Estates, stating that the area was a SSSI and it was illegal to operate a drone from or over it. The SSSI relates to the dunes, plants and insects. Certainly not nesting birds or other wildlife.

When I googled it, the information seemed to say this was correct.

@DHAirbus do you have a link to the original document where you took your extract from?

Just to be clear, I follow the drone code when I fly and would never be stupid enough to be flying near nesting birds.

......link to the original document where extract from....
[/QUOTE
Attached is the template that most SSSIs may use and each site has it's own specified law. Some sites will specify dates/times of ban or specific area etc. The National Trust is probably the organisation that is the worst for ant-drone by-laws. "We therefore do not allow drone flying from or over National Trust land." The "over" could be possibly be challenged as the CAA is the authority on airspace.

Sect 2.Use of Vehicles
2.28 covers "drones"
Sect 2. Use of certain equipment
2.30 camera (is this a joke :rolleyes:)
2.31 could be interpreted as mobile phone (cell-phone for our friends across the pond).
The template seems to allow breathing but not much else unless specified.
In the USA (as in most countries) there are city/state statutes in place to be seen in many posts on the forum.

So Google each area for local laws before flight (other search engines are available ;)).
Use common sense and Follow the Drone Code.

Attachments

• Annex 2 Draft Model SSSI byelaws for Formal Consultation.pdf
    109.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Is there a map of SSSIs along the coasts?
I am not aware of map of SSSIs. it's mainly common sense and drone code. Google area/district/location " Drone UAV operation 'xxxxxxx'
For UAV operators awarenesss of local laws regarding flight is a global issue not just UK

So, no towns, villages, built up areas. No English Hertitage or National Trust. No sssi's.
You've got a few beaches you're allowed to fly at though.

I get the whole "you're ignoring the ban you're ruining it for everyone" but I'd guess that most people will find that lots of the places they've flown are actually off limits through one rule or another.

Reactions: Derlisz
I get the whole "you're ignoring the ban you're ruining it for everyone" but I'd guess that most people will find that lots of the places they've flown are actually off limits through one rule or another.

Almost certainly, especially given that you need to actively seek out relevant data and outside NFZs where it's a criminal offense to fly there isn't a single App or map that encapsulates all the relevant data with 100% accuracy (at least not so far as I have found, although a few do come close for the datasets they cover).

In practice, I'd say it's very much like driving - lots of people don't adhere to the highway code (speeding, lane discipline, etc., etc.) but, as long as there are no mishaps and you are not seen as pushing things too far by the authorities, everyone tends to get away with it. That, of course, then reinforces the belief that it's OK to do so on subsequent occasions. None of which makes it right, or even acceptable, and obviously when things do go wrong those involved can find themselves in a world of hurt.

if you get challenged by someone in authority while flying in an SSSI or whatever, then as long as you are following the Drone Code, can demonstrate that you've tried to ensure a safe and legal flight (e.g. checking for NFZs), and it looks like an honest mistake, then the most likely outcome is going to be fairly painless. Being calm, polite and apologetic is obviously going to go a long way as well. Handle it well, and in most cases where you're in breach of an SSSI or whatever, you'll be expected to land and cease operations immediately, then get informed as to why the area is off-limits to drones, then free to go pretty quickly.

Reactions: DHAirbus
I'm fairly sure I read that if you breach the national trust's bylaws the maximum they can fine you is £20 anyway which seems a fair price even though they can't enforce it.

The authorities everywhere are making it difficult to enjoy our hobby. India now requires (from 31st Jan) all drones including "nano"'s" to be registered. This preliminary before all drones are required to have the capability of broadcasting their identity on being quizzed.

I've only had my Mavic Pro a few days and have really been enjoying it.

I have completed the flyer test and registered it.

I live on the Northumberland Coast and thought I had been following all the rules and guidelines from the drone code. However, today I discovered that there is a complete ban on flying a drone from or over a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI). This means the majority of the UK coast, which isn't a "built-up" area is out of bounds. Basically all of the NE coast is a SSSI.

So you can water ski, jet ski, fish, dive, sail, kite surf, land yacht, ride a horse and paraglide but you can't fly a drone.

Absolutely ridiculous.

I will continue to fly and follow the drone code but will be ignoring the SSSI ban.
dont worry its happening in Canada 1000 dollar fine if caught , good thing my camera can see them coming , way to many rules thanks to some irresponsible pilots

You've got a few beaches you're allowed to fly at though.
Not in Northumberland, as the whole coast is a SSSI.

I am not aware of map of SSSIs.
MAGIC This has the whole of the UK and you can choose different layers. SSSI, AONB, etc. When you how much of the coast is a SSSI, it basically means you would need permission to fly at any coastal site. Apart from the built up ones but that's also out.

Not in Northumberland, as the whole coast is a SSSI.
Not all SSSIs prohibit UAVS each SSSI has a specific control regarding UAV operation.
"Crown Land" Crown Estate UAV Operation
Drone flying / Unmanned Aerial Devices (UAD) PDF Link
We grant permission for UAD flights over Crown Estate foreshore (defined as the land between mean high water and mean low water).
This permission is subject to all operators complying with the applicable laws, statutes, regulations and codes, as well as the requirements of The Civil Aviation Authority, and obtaining any other necessary consents for the operation of UADs.
On occasions, third parties such as Government agencies or local authorities may restrict the flying of UAD's on Crown Estate land. We therefore recommend checking with the appropriate authority to ensure that no such restrictions are in place.
To find out which areas of foreshore we own, please use our Foreshore and Estuary Ownership Map. Link to Map
The purple areas indicate Crown Estate foreshore (zoom in for detail)

Follow the Drone Code

This permission is subject to all operators complying with the applicable laws, statutes, regulations and codes, as well as the requirements of The Civil Aviation Authority, and obtaining any other necessary consents for the operation of UADs.
As the whole of the Coast from Blyth upwards is the "Northumberland Shore SSSI" then Natural England would have to give permission as one of the "necessary consents".

This is an image from the Magic website. The green shows the areas of SSSI.

Is there a map of SSSIs along the coasts?

You can use the UK's MAGIC (Multi-Agency Geographical Information for the Countryside) map - see example here of the North Norfolk coastline:

I would imagine Natural England are likely to find it easier to implement an all-round ban rather than face the administrative burden of dealing with nuanced areas, times of year etc.

How luck we are here in Western Australia. So long as we stay away from built up areas and comply with CASA regulations we can fly just about anywhere (and WA is nearly half of Australia) Terrain from beach to mountain, forest to desert. Even National Parks lifted their restrictions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661