DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Upcoming Update - Clarification

Exactly my point and concern. It was in another thread so I'll just paste it here.

I got the email as well but haven't yet read it thoroughly. The first thing that comes to mind though is, don't we have some rights considering we purchased this item? I own my mavic, I did not lease it, I do not rent it. I am not obligated to return it when I am done with it. I own this item outright. Before I bought it, it was advertised to do X. If the company forces me to update my product and puts restrictions on it after the fact which changes the capabilities for the worse, effectively changing it's suitability for my needs, shouldn't that be a legal matter? What's the precedent here?

I think it can get a bit wonky if the updates aren't forced - but there is the argument that if you didn't apply other updates the product was faulty if there were fixes included in the update and not just new features.

If the update is forced, then yeah, it's removing functionality (in Aus at least) would likely count as making the product not fit for the purpose it was sold for and you'd be able to get your money back. I don't know what the time limit on that is (Mavic would have at least a 2 year statutory warranty against defect here)

Exactly my point and concern. It was in another thread so I'll just paste it here.

I got the email as well but haven't yet read it thoroughly. The first thing that comes to mind though is, don't we have some rights considering we purchased this item? I own my mavic, I did not lease it, I do not rent it. I am not obligated to return it when I am done with it. I own this item outright. Before I bought it, it was advertised to do X. If the company forces me to update my product and puts restrictions on it after the fact which changes the capabilities for the worse, effectively changing it's suitability for my needs, shouldn't that be a legal matter? What's the precedent here? Something is vaguely stuck in my head about court cases involving people who have purchased books and then want to resell them vs copyright holders that demanded either the items couldn't be resold or if they were they were due the proceeds. I don't recall that working out too well for them. Isn't this along the same lines?
I do agree with you and I do believe there is a legal issue at hand for those that do not upgrade -- this is why there is no more comments being made on DJI's part -- There New T+C more then likely will contain in small print that there previous upgrade to render your Mavic
with less functions you allowed and now to give them a right to include whatever they want to put into an upgrade without disclosure to you the owner -- There are things coming out about how DJI did this, Less rendering function it had to get into the software prior to this new update and was never disclosed ---This is where the Law will look along with your point, I bought it because it was advertised to do X
time will tell -- I'm in no rush to update as DJI hopes I will

Wow you guy's seem to hate DJI? Is it at all possible that this new software / firmware and re register could have a positive effect?
Nobody has said 1 thing that this new release is or is not going to do except make you register again, and you all have your shotguns out ready to open fire.
Thanks to the bad mouthing of DJI i'm kind of sorry I even bought this drone.
Perhaps you who are all so miserable should throw them up on Craigs list, cut your losses, buy a better one and never buy DJI again. I hear yuneec is pretty good I bet they have no problems what-so-ever.

I am just trying to understand, I planned on waiting till I heard that a update was released that worked and didn't have 8 out of the 10 that did update have issues with it.. My question is will I "HAVE" to update or just simply register again?

If you don't upgrade the firmware or go4 app, you will not be affected. It clearly states this in the email.

If you upgrade either one and don't agree to new t&c your functionality will be limited.

Have a good day, I have just successfully ended this conversation.

This is Cusel, out.

If you don't upgrade the firmware or go4 app, you will not be affected. It clearly states this in the email.

If you upgrade either one and don't agree to new t&c your functionality will be limited.

Have a good day, I have just successfully ended this conversation.

This is Cusel, out.

I hope you're right.

w,
Wow you guy's seem to hate DJI? Is it at all possible that this new software / firmware and re register could have a positive effect?
Nobody has said 1 thing that this new release is or is not going to do except make you register again, and you all have your shotguns out ready to open fire.
Thanks to the bad mouthing of DJI i'm kind of sorry I even bought this drone.
Perhaps you who are all so miserable should throw them up on Craigs list, cut your losses, buy a better one and never buy DJI again. I hear yuneec is pretty good I bet they have no problems what-so-ever.
Jimbo, I for one don't hate DJI as I believe many don't -- I can only speak for myself here , My problem with DJI is that they do have good products however they do claim that all there updates of FW and software are for adding features and the improvement of the passed
software which more times then not is untrue , many of there updates added functionality and at the same time caused problems with a part of the system that had no problems B4 , I call it barrowing from Peter to Pay Paul now is there an excuse for this to be constantly ongoing? I for one I know for FACT that all DJI GO4 versions can run on Android ver.6.0.1 without the app Crashing , does DJI let this information be known ? No they don't , why not ? many owners crashed there Mavic because of this by panicking and thinking that they lost full control. By the way DJI's Crystal Sky monitors run on a ANDROID platform -- Fact
Does DJI come out and say that even though the app crashes you still have control of the Mavic with the Remote , No they Don't , all I see
are people within these forums giving the answers that sometimes have to be taken with a grain of salt -- There are a lot of TRUE facts
about the Mavic system good and bad that DJI does not and will not confirm or comment on and I'm lead to believe this is purposely being done on DJI's end due to the fact that the income from making more profit on repairs, it pays for them by remaining silent which leads me back to the FW / software Peter, Paul issue --- How long does it take to produce a software app that runs fault free ? How can other 3rd party software run fault free while the actual Original manufacturer is constantly unable to do ??? Are You Wondering Yet ????
There is no logical answer to this issue other then to increase profit . Now DJI wants to install new software to the Mavic system to implement live tracking and if you don't reregister and sign a new T+C your Mavic system will be rendered with less functionality I find this to be an arrogant move on DJI's end after many purchased there Mavic because of it's capabilities as advertise Pryor to this new software being forced upon people that already owned the Mavic --- DJI already has my information , the FAA has my information it just makes me think theres more behind this update then we are being tolled , The same as it has been with passed DJI updates not fully disclosing what the update consists of !!! I will wonder even more about DJI software if this is implemented and it does not cause some sort of issue like all there past software has -- This will put the final nail in the coffin for me with DJI because it will just prove to me that they are fully capable of producing software that is fault free but just continue to produce faulty operational FW software for the Mavic System !!
I don't hate DJI -- I'm just tired of the BS -- People are starting to see and relies this nonsense, DJI puts there resources into other projects B4 fixing the problems they already created but however say that these upgrades are for improvement's to the Mavic system, maybe so but who is the one really befitting from them ?

Last edited:
w,
Jimbo, I for one don't hate DJI as I believe many don't -- I can only speak for myself here , My problem with DJI is that they do have good products however they do claim that all there updates of FW and software are for adding features and the improvement of the passed
software which more times then not is untrue , many of there updates added functionality and at the same time caused problems with a part of the system that had no problems B4 , I call it barrowing from Peter to Pay Paul now is there an excuse for this to be constantly ongoing? I for one I know for FACT that all DJI GO4 versions can run on Android ver.6.0.1 without the app Crashing , does DJI let this information be known ? No they don't , why not ? many owners crashed there Mavic because of this by panicking and thinking that they lost full control. By the way DJI's Crystal Sky monitors run on a ANDROID platform -- Fact
Does DJI come out and say that even though the app crashes you still have control of the Mavic with the Remote , No they Don't , all I see
are people within these forums giving the answers that sometimes have to be taken with a grain of salt -- There are a lot of TRUE facts
about the Mavic system good and bad that DJI does not and will not confirm or comment on and I'm lead to believe this is purposely being done on DJI's end due to the fact that the income from making more profit on repairs, it pays for them by remaining silent which leads me back to the FW / software Peter, Paul issue --- How long does it take to produce a software app that runs fault free ? How can other 3rd party software run fault free while the actual Original manufacturer is constantly unable to do ??? Are You Wondering Yet ????
There is no logical answer to this issue other then to increase profit . Now DJI wants to install new software to the Mavic system to implement live tracking and if you don't reregister and sign a new T+C your Mavic system will be rendered with less functionality I find this to be an arrogant move on DJI's end after many purchased there Mavic because of it's capabilities as advertise Pryor to this new software being forced upon people that already owned the Mavic --- DJI already has my information , the FAA has my information it just makes me think theres more behind this update then we are being tolled , The same as it has been with passed DJI updates not fully disclosing what the update consists of !!! I will wonder even more about DJI software if this is implemented and it does not cause some sort of issue like all there past software has -- This will put the final nail in the coffin for me with DJI because it will just prove to me that they are fully capable of producing software that is fault free but just continue to produce faulty operational FW software for the Mavic System !!
I don't hate DJI -- I'm just tired of the BS -- People are starting to see and relies this nonsense, DJI puts there resources into other projects B4 fixing the problems they already created but however say that these upgrades are for improvement's to the Mavic system, maybe so but who is the one really befitting from them ?

Never had an issue. .700, iOS etc. Had the Mavic for quite some time. First iPhones are updated pretty quickly. Androids are a bag of mixed candy. So many hardware and configurations I'm not surprised the **** thing doesn't work that good on Android. My wifi thermostat and its geofencing feature took about two years before her galaxy s6 edge finally worked. My security camera and its geofencing etc. **** still don't work on her android. My iPhone 7 Plus and the rest of my iPhones zero issues. I had the Nexus 6p too great phone same issues lol.

Nothing works as good on the Android platform do to the mixed bag of hardware and versions and manufacturers. The iPhone is closed source. Very easy to design and much more streamlined. DJIs own ground station was built and formulated by them so I'm not surprised it works using the Android platform.

None of these phones and their build.prop etc are the same. The iPhone comes the closest for iOS due to its nature or environment.

The problems people want a fix for could be manufacturer and android dependent due to their settings or hardware used.

You won't see this on iOS.

Reactions: SkunkWerx's
I will always prefer Apple to Android - yes, it is a closed environment but that makes the device that much more trustworthy of the data I entrust to it. Also, DJI writes software to iOS and knows that there is one version (with revisions) of that O/S and that's all. No "bloatware" or carrier crap on an iOS device - which is another reason I would not consider an Android platform.

YMMV

Notice, hahah. Some people have had some issues with Apple. But 90% of the people complaining use Android.

You nailed it. 1 Version and phone setup. Easy to code. Read my above post lol.

All my smart devices were a nightmare until iPhone and then Alexa. Haha SO TRUE.

Kinda like Windows 10 is a pain in the *** to get something done. That problem was solved by my 2015 15" MacBook Pro, so was my intermittent wireless printing.

No it's definitely true. The mixed bag of configurations and settings and hardware just asks for issues. iOS is much more streamline for stuff like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: avanti1963
I could not agree with you more about the Apple / Android issues , you preferring Apple and Mac over Android is your preference.
your right Android is like a mixed bag of candy ! I don't even want to talk about Windows 10 lolllllll
My disagreements lye with DJI for with holding information so far as I know that any Android device running Android 6.0.1 will run the GO4 app this information could have been told to customers who were having issues with android from the beginning and DJI could have also said that after time and with an increase with Function to the Mavic system your device My or Will become incompatible .
Or what DJI should have said , you can only use an ISO device to operate the system .
DJI's communication is so poor it can be used as an excuse for all the BS however I think we are beyond that .
Cheer's

This for me isn't about hating DJI. Their product is second to none.

It isn't about what device I am using, or whether or not this newest software of firmware will be better or worse.

I think for many it is about giving up control of your, legally bought and paid for, Mavic.

By their approach on this, it is apparent that they intend to remain fully in control of how and where you will use your (their) product. If at some point in time they decide to render it useless, they can.

Would they ever decide to do that? I hope not. But they are making it clear, with this update that they CAN, at any time of their choosing.

I am among those, uncomfortable with that.

EDIT: And if we ever found ourselves in a dispute or conflict with China, we'd probably all have expensive paperweights soon thereafter. LOL!

Last edited:
1 question and 1 remark.
1) if I don't approve the T&C, do I get my money back?
2) I fly a lot with other apps like Autopilot and Maps Made Easy which don't need DJI GO 4..... Need to test that....
It is my understanding that the 3-rd party Apps that use the DJI SDK will bee "required" to rebuild their software with the latest from DJI, so I imagine you will see updates to those Apps just like GO4, up to each App to see if they force you to upgrade.

This for me isn't about hating DJI. Their product is second to none.

It isn't about what device I am using, or whether or not this newest software of firmware will be better or worse.

I think for many it is about giving up control of your, legally bought and paid for, Mavic.

By their approach on this, it is apparent that they intend to remain fully in control of how and where you will use your (their) product. If at some point in time they decide to render it useless, they can.

Would they ever decide to do that? I hope not. But they are making it clear, with this update that they CAN, at any time of their choosing.

I am among those, uncomfortable with that.

EDIT: And if we ever found ourselves in a dispute or conflict with China, we'd probably all have expensive paperweights soon thereafter. LOL!

I'm not taking any sides on this pro-DJI / anti-DJI issue, but while we did buy and we do own our DJI hardware, we have only "licensed" the software that is in the firmware of our Mavics as well as the software that runs our Mavics. It's much like the software on our computers as well as the music we buy on CDs (yes, I'm showing my age, here). In the case of CDs and DVDs, the only thing we are "buying" is the media that the music / movie is supplied on - the music and movie on that media is just "licensed" to us - we do not own it.

It's the same with the software in the Mavic and on the controller and the DJI software on our phones / tablets. It's the property of DJI and you have agreed to that licensing when you register / download / use it.

Reactions: Foxtrot Uniform
You're not thinking this through like the Chinese want you to. It's quite evident that the DJI people know exactly what "SUFF" is and you should to.

"STUFF" in Chinese lingo means, Scientific Totally Unnecessary Flying Firmware.

Bud

DJI is calming that this update will make sure you have the right "STUFF" this word was used by atop DJI employee
Why did he use the word STUFF instead of the proper term SOFTWARE -- As far as I know that when I registered my Drone with DJI
and the FAA my name and information is already Bonded to my AC -- Why do I need to register again ? because of NFZ information ?
to make sure I have the right STUFF -- DJI has already been installing NFZ software in there FW updates and it is causing problems
with Mavic users getting False Positive NFZ warnings making there Mavic's unable to fly now they DJI is looking to put in place a new
method of ID-ing users --- The information is already available for DJI to use
1-- This is not the first time DJI will not fully disclose what is within there updates
2-- if this update does not create some sort of problem with the Mavic system people will start to think why when it seems that all the past
updates seemed to correct one problem and create another while some updates just made existing problems worst
Some people are just tired of being Pawn's used to test DJI's ongoing faulty software (STUFF)
Now there are many more legitimate questions being asked about this STUFF and DJI is not responding to any further.
I'm not surprised by DJI doing so , this is what I've been dealing with since I purchased a DJI product
There has been Deception in there past by not disclosing what they include in the updates
One for sure now is if you do not take the update you will suffer loss of some functions of the Mavic
When was this ever mentioned in any update ?? it never was but Now DJI claims to render your Mavic not fully functional ?
The only way this can happen is if it was slipped into a Pryor update and if this is true It is Deception plain and simple
I am in no way attacking DJI I only ask why all the sneaking around tactics and continuing to
ignore some legitimate questions when you have Administrators and Moderators on your DJI
Forum website and also are refusing to give any answer to legitimate questions it is leaving people to wonder what else is going to be going on ?

Reactions: SkunkWerx's
I plan to attempt disabling the internet connection of DJI Go app and services and just stick to the firmware and software version I have. Will see if that works or not. I dont like the fact that we are required to jump through hoops for me to use this to the extent I want to. I considered opening a refund case with Paypal and return it. I didn't purchase my mavic to have it watered down if I dont want to register and update it.
I agree ,you should not be policed by the company ! I will not buy any more Dji drones if this is what they do !

Reactions: wayy510
Do we own the Mavic or are we just "allowed" to use it? What's next? Yearly lease?
Yes correct. Next you'll see on the app: "Craft cannot take off" "Please pay $299 USD immediately as your 3 month Mavic Subscription has expired. Please read newly updated TOS written in vague and ambiguous legalese for attempted clarification"

Reactions: Busaman
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661