DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Zoom Vertical ascent to 2243 meters

Better look again. Definitely an airplane. Birds do not fly in such a straight line, and....that would have had to be the largest bird in history to be that size. 'Twas an airplane, single engine, private.
No - you can watch it flap its wings if you zoom in while running the video. As for size - you realize that depends on how far away it is. Presumably you are assuming that it is near ground level. It isn't - it is much closer to the drone.

You can also calculate its speed as a function of altitude. If it is a low-flying aircraft, as you are proposing, then from just after entering the field of view on the right, it covered 980 meters in 3 seconds. That's 327 m/s (730 mph), or almost exactly Mach 1. Pretty impressive for a single-engine private aircraft.

No - you can watch it flap its wings if you zoom in while running the video. As for size - you realize that depends on how far away it is. Presumably you are assuming that it is near ground level. It isn't - it is much closer to the drone.

You can also calculate its speed as a function of altitude. If it is a low-flying aircraft, as you are proposing, then from just after entering the field of view on the right, it covered 980 meters in 3 seconds. That's 327 m/s (730 mph), or almost exactly Mach 1. Pretty impressive for a single-engine private aircraft.
The video is sped up, as is clearly evident by the cars on the ground moving much faster and taking turns much harder than cars can/do.

I mean if it's not sped up then that public transit tram down below is taking people on an incredibly wild ride through that sharp turn that it whips through in half a second.

I am curious about the clarity or lack of it. Was there haze in the air from clouds, fog, or air quality? Thanks.

Correction.. original was Popcorn by Hot Butter... sorry couldn't resist I remember playing this when I was a radio D J in the 70s
Original Popcorn song was by Gershon Kinsley in 1969. He put it on an album called "Music to Moog By." It is considered one of the earliest examples of synthesized music. However, the version by Hot Butter is the one that got the air play and is thus best remembered. Here is the original:
. I've enjoyed this song for decades . . .

Reactions: Desert Sands
Whenever a video like this is posted I hear comments that when people fly above a certain altitude or in a certain area that it will cause the rest of us to lose our drone flying privileges. I love the comments about all the people in the sky and on the highways who are going to be massacred by a 1-pound drone. My city has flocks of 10-pound geese flying all over the sky, walking across the roads and attacking children yet no one can touch them because they are treated like an endangered species. Although several planes have hit birds in my city, I've never heard of anyone losing their life.

We drone pilots need to understand that we will lose our privileges, regardless. I am a private pilot and if not for the intense lobbying of AOPA I doubt there would be general aviation in the US. And there are a number of countries that do not allow general aviation.

A flight instructor once asked me, "What makes the plane take off at the end of the runway?" I gave some technical answer like "Lift" and he said, "Money." Regardless of how we fly, the big boys are coming to your city with their fleets of $20,000 delivery drones and billion-dollar empires. We personal drone fliers will be relegated to a designated one-acre park in each city with an altitude restriction of 100 feet. That may be exciting for RC pilots, but for drones I can't think of anything more boring. On this forum I've seen people sell their drones and get out of the hobby because of the restrictions. We must stand together and make our voices heard in our government before we lose more privileges than have already disappeared.

There's a pair of objects that enter the field of view at about 4:10 and exit at about 4:20 and maintain their relative position to one another. They're moving left to right about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way up from the bottom. Here's a screen capture at about 4:22 showing one of them. The other was above and slightly left of this one, but I couldn't pick it out in the screen capture.

Anyone have any ideas? Two flocks of birds?

View attachment 133517

Here's an enlarged view.

View attachment 133518
There's a pair of objects that enter the field of view at about 4:10 and exit at about 4:20 and maintain their relative position to one another. They're moving left to right about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way up from the bottom. Here's a screen capture at about 4:22 showing one of them. The other was above and slightly left of this one, but I couldn't pick it out in the screen capture.

View attachment 133517

Here's an enlarged view.

View attachment 133518

View attachment 133517

Here's an enlarged view.

View attachment 133518
From the way it’s moving, I can’t think of anything other than a flock of ?s

Impressive yes, but put it this way, while being a curious experiment, your little venture does *nothing* whatsoever to make life any easier for we (often) despised recreational drone operators around the world. And honestly, was it really worth disregarding the laws only to show us what appears to be a disgustingly polluted city?

Last edited:
Certainly impressive!
Not that hard to check Ukrainian drone laws to find out the maximum altitude AGL for a UAV in that country is 120 metres. Drone rules and laws in Ukraine - current information and experiences
IMHO perhaps best not to advertise - shout from the rooftops - ascending to an altitude somewhat above that 120 metres, regardless of whether there might have been a permit issued (as it seems might be required in Ukraine).

Happy and safe flying ??

Last edited:
Original Popcorn song was by Gershon Kinsley in 1969. He put it on an album called "Music to Moog By." It is considered one of the earliest examples of synthesized music. However, the version by Hot Butter is the one that got the air play and is thus best remembered. Here is the original:
. I've enjoyed this song for decades . . .
Awesome Ben, thanks for sharing!

Joe

The video is sped up, as is clearly evident by the cars on the ground moving much faster and taking turns much harder than cars can/do.

I mean if it's not sped up then that public transit tram down below is taking people on an incredibly wild ride through that sharp turn that it whips through in half a second.
Good spot - the video is sped up at 3:47, which is just as the flying object comes into view. Weird. That does invalidate my speed calculation.

Reactions: thispilothere

At 3:49 or so there is a helicopter or gyrocopter of some sort

View attachment 133826
Okay - correcting for the change in video playback rate that I somehow failed to notice earlier - yes it is actually a helicopter at low altitude.

While it was an interesting video, it was reckless, and could’ve ended in a tragic event.
To call us cry babies is very immature to say the least…
Really? You don't tire of the endless 'what ifs' and 'do you have 107s' and " faa this and that"? Waking up could be a tragic event. How about just enjoying the video. Who is this 'us" you speak of? If the shoe fits wear it..

Reactions: jemcik
And the OP got exactly what he wanted. Views and attention.

We should, as a community, ignore these posts and remove the incentive to be this stupid to begin with.

Reactions: pietdv
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian