DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Very disappointed with my new Nvidia Shield

No problems here with my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7".
Concerning non-working Shield compass, have you ever calibrated it?

No problems with my Nvidia K1. I also have an Air 2 but it makes the controller to heavy. The only thing I like better about it is having a larger screen to view.

I am going to downgrade the shield back to Mashmallow with the following firmware link:

Download Center and link for "NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet K1 Recovery OS Image ". This will put it back to Marshmallow.

Reactions: frankiez
I am going to downgrade the shield back to Mashmallow with the following firmware link:

Download Center and link for "NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet K1 Recovery OS Image ". This will put it back to Marshmallow.

Cool, can you let us know how you get on as I'm tempted to do the same. Thanks..

Cool, can you let us know how you get on as I'm tempted to do the same. Thanks..

All done! Back to Marshmallow (Android 6.0).

There are some manual steps required. I used the following links:

This link is just for getting ADB binaries and fastboot drivers for windows:
Tutorial: Root Shield Tablet (Marshmallow) – NVidia Shield Zone

This link for firmware and unlocking bootloader. I used the FLASH_ALL.BAT script rather than flashing one at a time as directed in instructiions:
Download Center

Note, these steps will erase all of your data and the tablet will be as it was when you first powered it on. Well technically, you should run "FASTBOOT OEM LOCK" to relock the bootloader as the bootload is UNLOCKED until you do that. I'll leave mine unlocked in case I want to flash any customizations to the OS or root it for complete control.

Reactions: Pedro
I enabled developer mode and USB debugging and have had no issues with Nvida shield and nougat. Not the brightest tablet but I use a sun cover.
Regards,
-d.

Reactions: halley
I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab A and an Nvidia Shield and am getting a bit worried with the app crashes of late. I think I may just be joining the Apple Fan Boys soon (iPad Mini 4). I really can't afford another, but like everyone else on here, consistency in flying is more important than life.

Reactions: Bunny Too

This link for firmware and unlocking bootloader. I used the FLASH_ALL.BAT script rather than flashing one at a time as directed in instructiions:
Download Center

Note, these steps will erase all of your data and the tablet will be as it was when you first powered it on. Well technically, you should run "FASTBOOT OEM LOCK" to relock the bootloader as the bootload is UNLOCKED until you do that. I'll leave mine unlocked in case I want to flash any customizations to the OS or root it for complete control.

Thanks very much for that. :)

Will be interesting to see if that improves stability/reliability of Go4..

Well, darn it, mine K1 crashed today.. so will try it later with the USB debugging turned on.. I also deleted all the photos & videos as I did get a cache error, not too sure if it's regarding the mavic or the DJI GO 4 app.. have to check out the sd card on the Mavic..

Download Center

Hi Nate,

Have you had the opportunity to find out whether rolling her back improved reliability?

I'm waiting for my Mavic to be returned/replaced by DJI which hopefully will be by this weekend..

Hi Nate,

Have you had the opportunity to find out whether rolling her back improved reliability?

I'm waiting for my Mavic to be returned/replaced by DJI which hopefully will be by this weekend..

Yes, after rolling back to android 6.0 it is working fine. Actually used it with my vr goggles and no issues. Even the compass appears to work, which didn't after the update.

Someone was saying that if you enable usb debugging android 7.0 works as well. I didn't get a chance to try that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pedro
Cool, thanks.

I had usb debugging enabled when Go4 crashed on my last flight but I sent her back to DJI shortly after that so no flights since. I'll see how it goes when she's back.

Pedro,

I should add, the shield does work, but I much prefer the IPAD mini 4. Android is no where near as stable with DJI Go 4 as apple devices and there are bugs and missing features in Android. To give you an idea of how bad Android is, I watch a guy fly the Phantom 4 Pro+ which has the built in display with Android. The app crashed right in front of me while watching him fly. That is a device that is delivered straight from DJI with Android. If DJI can't get it right with their own delivered hardware and software, that should give you some pause about running Android. I've NEVER had a crash on my IPAD. He said it happens all the time.

Yes, after rolling back to android 6.0 it is working fine. Actually used it with my vr goggles and no issues. Even the compass appears to work, which didn't after the update.

Someone was saying that if you enable usb debugging android 7.0 works as well. I didn't get a chance to try that.

So are you using app version 4.0.2 and the most recent firmware in mavic?

Pedro,

I should add, the shield does work, but I much prefer the IPAD mini 4. Android is no where near as stable with DJI Go 4 as apple devices and there are bugs and missing features in Android. To give you an idea of how bad Android is, I watch a guy fly the Phantom 4 Pro+ which has the built in display with Android. The app crashed right in front of me while watching him fly. That is a device that is delivered straight from DJI with Android. If DJI can't get it right with their own delivered hardware and software, that should give you some pause about running Android. I've NEVER had a crash on my IPAD. He said it happens all the time.

Everyone's got their own experiences. I'm running with a lowly Sony Xperia Z3 and have not had one single problem. I reckon anyone running with 7.0 should consider downgrading to marshmallow which is rock solid.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Pedro,

Thanks Nate. :)

Similar to Wacky, :) I've been using an £80 Bush 7" tablet running 5.0 and Go4 didn't crash once but I do take your point about features, I would love to have the option of focus peaking but that disappeared from Android a while back..

Everyone's got their own experiences. I'm running with a lowly Sony Xperia Z3 and have not had one single problem. I reckon anyone running with 7.0 should consider downgrading to marshmallow which is rock solid.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

So your speed displays correctly in MPH? Not likely. It's actually feet per second in android. That 60 "MPH" in sport mode on android is really 40 MPH. Does your compass work reliably? Can you see both the radar and map on the screen at the same time? Only IOS version of the app can do that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoosiergsp