DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

We are not pilots

Well my friend, we are just going to have to agree to disagree. It isn't about sounding impressive at all. There is a lot of work, money and responsibility that goes into being a commercial drone pilot, and even a recreational pilot for that matter. It is way more than just flipping a few switches and moving some sticks. No a drone doesn't have the same flight characteristics as a fixed wing aircraft, and no we don't have 1 5 or 400 passengers behind us that we have to be responsible for. But, there is a lot of responsibility in flying a drone. There is a lot of property and sometimes people on the ground around you that you have to be accountable for. You are flying in airspace that does have manned aircraft around you. You have to do a lot of pre flight planning, some that has to be done days, weeks and sometimes in the case of certain waivers, months before flights. If you are doing things the right way, you are doing just about as much or more pre flight planning as the average recreational pilot that is making a short hop around their home airfield. (and yes I can say that with personal knowledge, I have flown before, I have been through flight training) You have to know how to read and understand air charts. You need to know what the airspace is you are flying in and near and know when you need to obtain permission to fly in that airspace. You need to be able to check NOTAMS and understand what you are reading when you are in certain types of airspace. You need to understand weather and how different types of wind, humidity, air density and temperature affect the flight characteristics of your aircraft. (yes all of that affects your little drone) Even though you say it just goes up and comes down, that isn't actually the case unless you think landing in trees, on top of people's houses, in the middle of a freeway or flying away to God knows where is an acceptable way to come back down. The FAA says that if you are over .55 lbs then you are flying an aircraft. AND, last time I looked my Part 107 Airman's Certificate says Remote PILOT, not remote operator or toy quad flyer. (yep just looked again, hasn't changed a bit). So you call yourself whatever you want to call yourself, and I will call myself what the FAA states I am on my Airman's Certificate. It isn't about a title or sounding impressive.

Excellent reply. I am a retired Airline Captain and Life Flight Helicopter pilot with many 1000s of hours in 83 countries. That being said, "only being a drone pilot does not relieve you of one smitten of responsibility when it comes to safety of flight issues, protection of property and persons, etc". Be proud of your flying achievements (drone or otherwise), do it right and protect your privileges.

All I can say is PIC means PILOT IN COMMAND!! Isn’t that clear evidence of that? And it’s in the Part 107 certification test as exactly that nomenclature.

Reactions: Slim.slamma
How smart do I look now in my new suit, ordered from amazon, I’m the one on the left;)View attachment 57647 wife on the right, she’s my spotter, yeah ok she does look like a bloke but it the short hair;)
Wow, I was impressed before when you called yourself "Pilot", but now... well all that blue just blows me away! May I lick your boots please?

How smart do I look now in my new suit, ordered from amazon, I’m the one on the left;)View attachment 57647 wife on the right, she’s my spotter, yeah ok she does look like a bloke but it the short hair;)
And you're still flying with the gimbal protect bubble on! Those two look like they are having loads of fun!!

And you're still flying with the gimbal protect bubble on! Those two look like they are having loads of fun!!
Yeah I kept it on cos my gimbal got damaged, I was hoping no one would have noticed. Yep I crashed it :p

Edit, just looked at the photo again,lol bet there the life and sole at a party.;) I could’ve picked a better photo;)

Last edited:
this thread is nothing more than a lot of name calling . parts of it are good fun though

I'm Irish and an Celtic WarriOr. A Celtic Warrier would mean you are Celtic and and a member of a Hindu Caste. Interesting mix for sure.

Well,,,,,,,,,, that is certainly one way of looking at it..

btw: If history serves me well, wasn't it the Celts or Druids who
eventually defeated the Romans and finally ousted them from
the British Isles ??? That bein' the case, you would have to call
them Warriors of some sort.

btw again: thank you for the spelling lesson. I guess an old man
can't make a simple gramatical error w/o being chastised.
What's this world coming to??? Not much fun anymore, but it
sure is efficient...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird