DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What resolution do you guys usually shoot with?

DJ Kim

Reactions
4k @25fps?
or 1080 @60fps?

I would love some videographer recommendation.
Love to learn more about pros/cons, usefulness, scenario application, etc...

Thank you so much in advance.

4K all the way. This give me more control on post production and editing. I can zoom or crop without loosing the quality.

So basically every option the mavic has is the best one to use ... hmmm

I've been shooting at 4K, but I have to spool up my gaming rig to play them without stuttering. This is completely unfeasible for most.

To play a video on my Mac Air at a friends house I had to down convert it to 1080P, which took 20 minutes+.

My uncle wants a Mavic Pro, and I'm going to suggest they record at 1080P otherwise its going to be a huge pain for them on their laptops and TV.

Maybe an alternative is to record at 4K then upload immediately to YouTube and let them deal with processing, then view everything through YouTube. That way you can still have the 4K footage for any post processing in the future.

Reactions: DJ Kim
4K all the way. This give me more control on post production and editing. I can zoom or crop without loosing the quality.

What softwear are you using to edit your photos with ?

I've been shooting at 4K, but I have to spool up my gaming rig to play them without stuttering. This is completely unfeasible for most.

To play a video on my Mac Air at a friends house I had to down convert it to 1080P, which took 20 minutes+.

My uncle wants a Mavic Pro, and I'm going to suggest they record at 1080P otherwise its going to be a huge pain for them on their laptops and TV.

Maybe an alternative is to record at 4K then upload immediately to YouTube and let them deal with processing, then view everything through YouTube. That way you can still have the 4K footage for any post processing in the future.

What about 2.7k instead ?

1080p 60fps. 99% of the world don't have anything with a screen that shows 4K.
1080p 50/60 gives very poor output video on the Mavic. Don't use it unless you really absolutely need it and can do with the limitations.

As for me, always shooting 4K. You can do anything with it later even if the full 4K isn't needed, unlike the opposite. 2.7 could be a good solution if your processing suite is subpar and still allow for some straightening/cropping.

Nice.

I wonder if recording at 60fps has any other advantages, other than better slow motion capability.

Storage file size is obvious. But with a large storage being relatively inexpensive, it's not the deciding factor on $1k MP.

Does frame rate and shutter speed have any relevant relationship/correlation ?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

34% of households in America will have 4K TVs by 2019. So the number still is quite low.

I've been shooting in 2.7k to get the balance between real estate to edit with and quality.

Great question.

Mavic - North Bay, CA

I shoot at 2.7 and downres to 1080. I typically shoot 60-120fps on my action cams and do alot of slow mos but I havent had the chance to try a slowmo with 2.7k @ 30.

I shoot at 2.7 and downres to 1080. I typically shoot 60-120fps on my action cams and do alot of slow mos but I havent had the chance to try a slowmo with 2.7k @ 30.

So that's what I was wondering as well.
1080 is the highest resolution capable of above 30fps. But...

Typically, I find video shots from drones moving too slow. If anything, I end up speeding things up during edit and couldn't think of any drone shot scene calling for slow mo.
Any idea?

I'm constantly trying to come up with "what else would be cool to shoot from drone?" ideas. :)

4K so I have the room to crop etc. It sucks that it is locked to only 60mbps but what can we do at this point. 2.7K is probably more ideal for that bitrate

Reactions: halley and DJ Kim
1080p 50/60 gives very poor output video on the Mavic. Don't use it unless you really absolutely need it and can do with the limitations.

Is this a Mavic specific comment, or just that 1080P is poor in general? I'm curious, is the Mavic's compression particularly poor processing/compressing on the fly RAW -> 1080P versus to 4K?

For someone who doesn't want to convert their video to 1080P to play it on their laptop from 2010, is 1080P capture really a bad suggestion?

Is this a Mavic specific comment, or just that 1080P is poor in general? I'm curious, is the Mavic's compression particularly poor processing/compressing on the fly RAW -> 1080P versus to 4K?

For someone who doesn't want to convert their video to 1080P to play it on their laptop from 2010, is 1080P capture really a bad suggestion?

Good question.

So that's what I was wondering as well.
1080 is the highest resolution capable of above 30fps. But...

Typically, I find video shots from drones moving too slow. If anything, I end up speeding things up during edit and couldn't think of any drone shot scene calling for slow mo.
Any idea?

I'm constantly trying to come up with "what else would be cool to shoot from drone?" ideas. :)

Yeah that is where the line is drawn. I do most of my slow mos with my GoPros but I can think of a few scenes where slow mo would be great on the Mavic. Racing/drifting events, surfers and beach scenes to name a few. Theres a certain niche for shots that slow mo would be utilized, it is not a technique that can be used on any or every shot and should be used sparingly. That being said, I have sped up more of my shots than slowed them down.

You can still slow down 30fps - OK you'll get some visible jumping between frames but even 1/3 speed at 10fps is not terrible for a short stretch say you recorded a racetrack incident.

There are other threads about how 60fps at 1080p on the mavic (specifically) is not a good option.
It's not unusable but does not look good for default use.
If recording something you know you want to slow down then try it just for that?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078