DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's the obsession with sub-250g drones?

Firejay27

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I should specify before commenting more than I'm in the US so the sub-250g may be a bigger deal outside of the US than I'm aware of.....

Seriously though ... what's the big deal with sub-250g drones? Mavic Mini 3 Pro comes out and that seems to be the big talking point and advertising point but why?

That said... Are there really that many recreational flyers out there that want these drones simply because they don't have to register them with the FAA?

Are there that many recreational flyers that will spend $1000 just to fly for fun?

Are all these higher end features worth it for a recreational flyer? Yes a smaller drone is nice and compact for travel and such but if you're one to be traveling and taking photos then I would think that you were "flying with a purpose" and would need to be Part 107 registered and register your drone anyway. The smaller drone and more professional feature set is great for a Part 107 flyer but seems a bit much for a rec flyer and overkill.

The Mavic Mini 3 Pro advertises the new "vertical mode" shooting to better allow for posting on social media. ... Again, Part 107 requirement even if you're not monetized.

As soon as you start flying over people (even transitioning) you're most likely going to be using the prop guards... now you're over 250g and FAA registration is required.

Not knocking the smaller drones in any way at all. I'm knocking the whole marketing of them being under 250g vs just focusing on the compact form factor making it easier to take with you. Even the bigger YouTube guys out there have jumped on the bandwagon but rarely (if ever) remind people about proper registration of the drones in this category. Even DJI has a tiny footnote regarding registration requirements. There are so many stories on this forum and other places about "bad apples" flying drones that I wonder how much of that is because of the way these things are marketed now and how YouTubers have made them so popular. Seems like people are being told.. hey go out and buy this drone because the FAA doesn't have to know you have one... BUT recreational flyers are under many of the exact same rules as Part 107 flyers. Just seems like an industry disconnect now that this category seems to be growing.

-- Rant Off --

Are there that many recreational flyers that will spend $1000 just to fly for fun?
Absolutely! The Mini 1 and Mini 2 were revolutionary, and the Mini 3 just builds on those previous models.

For me the Mini 3 is just another tool in the bag. Not to mention they are a whole lot of fun to fly.

At least in Europe/EASA countries there's clear advantage:
You (/drone's owner) have to always register as drone operator when drone has camera. (or isn't below 250 gram)
But for sub 250 gram drone it's not necessary to pass A1/A3 online test. (anyway free when registering)
And more importantly rules will stay same even after transitory period is over allowing flying in A1 category without any C class drone certifying.

Reactions: SteveKB and sir_ian
I should specify before commenting more than I'm in the US so the sub-250g may be a bigger deal outside of the US than I'm aware of.....

Seriously though ... what's the big deal with sub-250g drones? Mavic Mini 3 Pro comes out and that seems to be the big talking point and advertising point but why?

That said... Are there really that many recreational flyers out there that want these drones simply because they don't have to register them with the FAA?

-- Rant Off --
If we just look at the # of Mini 2 Wet Suit Sold compared to the bigger drones , its like 5 to 1 so that right there is the reason for DJI to watch the numbers .

I am amazed at the Number of people that measure to the gram to see if there drone is over weight as
we have had to make our Wet Suit to accommodate this .

I dont know what the penalty is over seas , but People take it very seriously as we get a lot of these type of Pictures letting us know there Ok, Many of them carry a picture with them on there phone .

There must be some kind of Measure Police , yet I have never herd of a single incident of someone flying a Mini 2 with a set of lights on it.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.
2022-02-20_12h08_46.png

Did I miss this in the previous responses, but SUB 250 Grams Drone will not be required to have Remote ID...

At the end of December 2020, the FAA released the final rule on Remote ID. In this regulation the FAA says that the Remote ID requirements apply to any UAS that is required to register with the FAA. This means that recreational use of a sub 250g UAV will not be required to comply with the remote ID regulation because they are not currently required to register. However this could change at any time. The rules for operating a UAS in compliance with Remote ID will take effect in October of 2023.

And all those "un-Sub" 250 gram drones will have to be outfitted with some "after-market" remote ID transmitter. As of today, they have not been developed yet so how much will they weigh, how much will they cost, and do you really want some "wacko" chasing your drone around trying to get your ID...

From what I have read, only the FAA number and your flight characteristics will be transmitted, not your name, address, or other personal info... But there is so much bad info out there. The FAA will only release your information to "proper authorities..."

Any case, my Mini 2 is "Home Free..."

Reactions: Ted B
Yes, it’s a big world.

The Mavic Mini 3 Pro advertises the new "vertical mode" shooting to better allow for posting on social media. ... Again, Part 107 requirement even if you're not monetized.
Not correct, again at least as far as the majority of countries goes.
I have seen one or two US YouTubers trip type channels post up they were contacted by the FAA chasing them to get part 107, supposedly not monetised channels.
Seems over the top really to be going that extreme.
Certainly all the drone review / tutorial channel pilots I can understand FAA wanting the part 107.

Are all these higher end features worth it for a recreational flyer?
Yes and yes.
what's the big deal with sub-250g drones?
Its a big deal

Sub 250g is big deal in Europe. With heavier drone you basically can't fly anywhere in a city or populated area. Appeal lies in not having to worry about if friendly cop comes asking, while not having to worry about what am I overflying on my mission. And after 2023 (or 2024) I can still continue to do that, where as with any heavier drone I am banned 150m away from any uninvolved person.

All the added bells and whistles (OA, tracking [not active track]), while previously I thought are useless, are already proving themselves as amazing helpers.

I can't imagine buying anything heavier in this time period, and also as my first drone, and then I could choose Mini2, then Autel Nano+ and now Mini 3. Of those three I chose Mini 3 and so far I am one happy pilot.

It comes down to the size. A small drone does not look intimidating to non drone people.

I still reach for my spark (obviously not sub 250 but the OG little drone) from time to time because when I’m someplace cramped and what to fly nobody bats a lash because of how tiny it is.

Reactions: twickers14
From what I have read, only the FAA number and your flight characteristics will be transmitted, not your name, address, or other personal info... But there is so much bad info out there. The FAA will only release your information to "proper authorities..."
How about a page within the FAA site that will show in real-time the current flights of sUAS in the United States? It's coming... :(

Last edited:
How about a page within the FAA site that will show in real-time the current flights of sUAS in the United State? It's coming...

The process is convolute since one part leads into another part...

First off, drones that weigh 0.55 pounds or less (less than 250 grams) and are flown exclusively under the Exception for Recreational Flyers are not required to be registered.

Second, beginning September 16, 2023, all drone pilots required to register their drone must operate their aircraft in accordance with the remote ID rule for pilots. (Only 250+ gram drones and those used under Part 107 are required to be registered…)

So, the conclusion is if your drone is not required to be registered then it also is not required to transmit remote ID…

If you have a Part 107 and an under 250 grams drone, you can still fly for recreational purposes as well as under part 107. However, the rules gets "murkier" as drones registered under the Exception for Recreational Flyers cannot be flown for Part 107 operations (so you cannot "have your cake and eat it too…".

I'm glad it's not up to me to determine if you are Part 107 licensed and you registered your drone for use in your business, but you are out in your backyard just "tooling" around for fun; will your drone still be required to transmit remote ID…

Here is the requisite reference…

How to Register Your Drone

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
If you're a US Citizen who crosses the border and visits Canada, my understanding is that there's no registration or licensing required for a sub-250g drone, while a heavier drone requires both licensing of the pilot and registration of the drone, regardless of whether the flight is recreational or commercial. Drone Laws in Canada | UAV Coach (2022) .

I'm a US citizen who has only flown in the US. I have a Mavic Mini, but I got it mostly because it was relatively portable and inexpensive, not because it squeaks in under a regulatory weight limit. Mine is registered, and I have my Part 107 certificate, so its weight really doesn't matter to me.

At least not until the remote ID requirement goes into effect.

Reactions: KLRSKIR
If you're a US Citizen who crosses the border and visits Canada, my understanding is that there's no registration or licensing required for a sub-250g drone, while a heavier drone requires both licensing of the pilot and registration of the drone, regardless of whether the flight is recreational or commercial. Drone Laws in Canada | UAV Coach (2022) .

I'm a US citizen who has only flown in the US. I have a Mavic Mini, but I got it mostly because it was relatively portable and inexpensive, not because it squeaks in under a regulatory weight limit. Mine is registered, and I have my Part 107 certificate, so its weight really doesn't matter to me.

At least not until the remote ID requirement goes into effect.
That is correct. The only drone a foreigner could fly in Canada is a sub-250g drone, so the Mini 3 Pro or any of the previous minis are really the only drones a tourist, none resident, or foreign student could fly here. Apparently it is possible to fly a larger drone but you need to apply for a SFOC and the last I read was Transport Canada was not issuing them at this time.

Chris

Reactions: Rich QR and KLRSKIR
Is it true that if you use the intelligent battery in the Mini 3 Pro it takes it over 250g? So to stay under that you have to use the "regular" battery? Just checking my understanding.

Reactions: KLRSKIR
It is a much bigger deal outside the US for recreational flyers which are the biggest market for Drone manufacturers. For me personally, I like the portability and lower cost/performance. I already own a Mavic 3 which I fly professionally and the Mini3 will be my backup /travel drone because of of this. The under 249 gram weight is just a bonus.

The process is convolute since one part leads into another part...

First off, drones that weigh 0.55 pounds or less (less than 250 grams) and are flown exclusively under the Exception for Recreational Flyers are not required to be registered.

Second, beginning September 16, 2023, all drone pilots required to register their drone must operate their aircraft in accordance with the remote ID rule for pilots. (Only 250+ gram drones and those used under Part 107 are required to be registered…)

So, the conclusion is if your drone is not required to be registered then it also is not required to transmit remote ID…

If you have a Part 107 and an under 250 grams drone, you can still fly for recreational purposes as well as under part 107. However, the rules gets "murkier" as drones registered under the Exception for Recreational Flyers cannot be flown for Part 107 operations (so you cannot "have your cake and eat it too…".

I'm glad it's not up to me to determine if you are Part 107 licensed and you registered your drone for use in your business, but you are out in your backyard just "tooling" around for fun; will your drone still be required to transmit remote ID…

Here is the requisite reference…

How to Register Your Drone
It's the Federal Government, would we expect anything other than convolution? Ie., requiring a 107 pilot to apply for a "daylight" waiver for "nighttime" operations.

When in the context of the Feds, it all makes perfect sense.

Reactions: cneedelman

Are all these higher end features worth it for a recreational flyer? Yes a smaller drone is nice and compact for travel and such but if you're one to be traveling and taking photos then I would think that you were "flying with a purpose" and would need to be Part 107 registered and register your drone anyway. The smaller drone and more professional feature set is great for a Part 107 flyer but seems a bit much for a rec flyer and overkill.

As soon as you start flying over people (even transitioning) you're most likely going to be using the prop guards... now you're over 250g and FAA registration is required.

Not knocking the smaller drones in any way at all. I'm knocking the whole marketing of them being under 250g vs just focusing on the compact form factor making it easier to take with you. Even the bigger YouTube guys out there have jumped on the bandwagon but rarely (if ever) remind people about proper registration of the drones in this category. Even DJI has a tiny footnote regarding registration requirements. There are so many stories on this forum and other places about "bad apples" flying drones that I wonder how much of that is because of the way these things are marketed now and how YouTubers have made them so popular. Seems like people are being told.. hey go out and buy this drone because the FAA doesn't have to know you have one... BUT recreational flyers are under many of the exact same rules as Part 107 flyers. Just seems like an industry disconnect now that this category seems to be growing.

-- Rant Off --

The drone industry isn’t just the USA. *Many* countries outside the USA use 249g as a hard limit where stringent limitations kick in that make flying larger drones impractical for non-professionals so having a drone that is both legal AND super capable now is huge. For us in the USA it isn’t as big a deal BUT it still is a big deal for people like me who travel often and simply want a smaller / lighter travel drone (while still capable!) because frankly it makes it more likely I’ll take it and use it. I also think it helps slightly in the USA “future proof” the drone because IF the FAA wants to enact further limits on drones based on weight I think the 249g point will be a target for them since it was embraced by so many other countries for their own rules.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lastrexking
Did I miss this in the previous responses, but SUB 250 Grams Drone will not be required to have Remote ID...

At the end of December 2020, the FAA released the final rule on Remote ID. In this regulation the FAA says that the Remote ID requirements apply to any UAS that is required to register with the FAA. This means that recreational use of a sub 250g UAV will not be required to comply with the remote ID regulation because they are not currently required to register. However this could change at any time. The rules for operating a UAS in compliance with Remote ID will take effect in October of 2023.

And all those "un-Sub" 250 gram drones will have to be outfitted with some "after-market" remote ID transmitter. As of today, they have not been developed yet so how much will they weigh, how much will they cost, and do you really want some "wacko" chasing your drone around trying to get your ID...

Any case, my Mini 2 is "Home Free..."
I agree with you on several aspects, I live in Chile 🇨🇱 a South American country and whether we like it or not, many of the regulations that are established in many countries that are legislating on the piloting or flight of drones use what the US and the FAA establish as a reference. For now, drones weighing less than 250 grams are outside the regulatory framework... but that can change at any time. All this susceptibility regarding the safety of flying Drones over 250grs and that must be registered as well as the pilot who operates it seems totally understandable to me, but without being exaggerated. Although these drones weighing less than 250 grams come equipped with Pro features, they are still susceptible to strong winds or gusts, which personally does not give me the security of flying, but everyone with their tastes. This range of drones was established to stay since their prices are within the reach of many, especially for those who want to start in this addictive world such as Drones. Hopefully the regulations for this segment of "Mini" do not change so that they are not affected... because if this happens... I wonder... How attractive it will be to buy a Mini Drone, whatever it may be, if it is subject to the regulations .?…in my opinion…it will lose its attractiveness…and it will no longer be interesting to own a drone that is outside current regulations…

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661