DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When to let go of your mavic..

ceirsik

Reactions
How long did you go before you got over the fear of losing or crashing your mavic? The first time it flew out of sight or over water. Wondering if it would come back or fall out of the sky. Scary stuff. Owned mine for 2 weeks. About 4 flights, still afraid to let it go and do its thing.

Reactions: Kiowa and AirBean
I think its always there. Atleast those who cannot afford a replacement. I think having insurance helps tremendously. But I also bought mine for one big thing and that's make family memories and our family travels. So it's a chance you take but I think that feeling that something could go wrong is there most of the time.

Reactions: johnohio
How long did you go before you got over the fear of losing or crashing your mavic? The first time it flew out of sight or over water. Wondering if it would come back or fall out of the sky. Scary stuff. Owned mine for 2 weeks. About 4 flights, still afraid to let it go and do its thing.
I have had the mavic for three months and I am still fretful whenever it leaves the nest.
Regards,
-d.

It took me a couple of weeks to trust myself and make a 3500 trip out over the water. Now I fly it without hesitation. But I also have State Farm for both the P4P and the Mavic so at least I know I'm covered.

Reactions: ceirsik

After about 20 flights - and even then to distances of about 1 km, I started to relax and be confident in the MP. After that I was flying over "unrecoverable" areas and then "faggedaboutit" areas such as 2 km wide rivers.

That said, I believe it's good to fly "low risk" areas for a bunch of flights (say at least 5 full battery cycles on all the batteries) to eliminate left-bathtub-curve (infant mortality) failures.

1. Review this checklist for the least risky (IMO) RTH. Make sure it's a good fit to where you fly.
2. Always inspect your aircraft, propellers, batteries, controllers and settings before leaving the house. In minute detail. (The night before is best).
3. Ritualize your site behaviour. Do it right. Do it the same every time.

Keep in mind to follow the rules my friend and that usually means keep line of site at all times.

Even if you follow the rules it's the chance of flying over water to get that great shot sometimes that may get ya.

It's so small even at just a 1/4 mile out in open area it's hard to see. Thinking of doing a yellow with black straps (bumble bee) wrap so I can see it better. I love It, and as weather get better here (rain for the last week!) I'll fly it more and get used to its true capabilities.

Reactions: Bunny Too
It's so small even at just a 1/4 mile out in open area it's hard to see. Thinking of doing a yellow with black straps (bumble bee) wrap so I can see it better. I love It, and as weather get better here (rain for the last week!) I'll fly it more and get used to its true capabilities.

I can't see it at over 250m. I can pick out my Phantom 4 at 400+ m. coming back.

I've now skinned both orange which may help with some backgrounds (like the Mavic against the forest).

Also had my eyes checked to discover I'll be getting a -.5 correction in each eye with new glasses coming later this week.

While VLOS may be the "law" it's based on old assumptions about drones. So if you do go further than VLOS be absolutely sure you know where it is, that you can navigate by the FPV and that your RTH settings are set right. That's not to say depend on the technology and forget good airmanship - it's to say if you do get in a pickle make sure the cards are stacked in your favour.

86 flights and 16 hours so far. All of the comments posted are pertinent. Confidence comes with time. Hang in there - after all, what is the fear? Damage to yourself, another person, property or drone itself? All of those things? The worst thing to do is not fly out of fear. I still confront it myself, however, refer to the comments posted on here. I would also add the following: use apps like Hover and UAV Forecast to check flying conditions, respect people's privacy, NEVER let some one take the controls (2 of 2 crashes were handing the RC off to an amateur), try to fly where you can retrieve the MP easily, practice flying with the RC only, try to get comfortable with controls and how they work. Avoid flying modes until you are absolutely comfortable flying. Keep in mind, this is a 'camera drone', not one that flips and races. Respect the limitations that DJI has pre-programmed in the MP. In an emergency, keep calm - get comfortable with RTH and how it works. Most of all, FLY!!

Thanks for everyone's personal input.. I have just flew it with no video just to concentrate on the controls. Large area no trees or power lines... Will continue to master the controls first. Video will come in time. It will be a great summer with this drone.

I now have 140 flights under my belt (I'm an addict and not currently seeking help) and I still get sweaty palms depending on where I fly. If it goes down in the middle of the desert or on top of the mountain, no big deal - I'll start hiking. If I crash it and need to replace it, I can get past that too. However, if I were to hurt someone or damage property, that would be difficult for me and is what makes me the most nervous. Even when following the rules and having the best intentions, things can go wrong.

I think water is my biggest fear. Not being able to retrieve it possibly. As you said... Trees, Desert, Mountains.... I don't fear as much as water.

After 9/10 flights i made the longest distance, around 3,5km: i got there after other shorter flights. However, now that i tested the distance (and the fear, because during one of my last long distance i had to fight with wind and battery), i realized that i really don't need to go that far and enjoy my trips on a much shorter distance.

as others said it takes time! first days I flew in beginner mode and see the mavic at 10mt high I was like "woawww" and scared ahaha.. now after few weeks of flying and getting comfortable with the sticks is getting better.. i'm not taking it to extremes and I try slowly to make those things I'd not do earlier.. but always step by step!

Thanks for everyone's personal input.. I have just flew it with no video just to concentrate on the controls. Large area no trees or power lines... Will continue to master the controls first. Video will come in time. It will be a great summer with this drone.
Press VIDEO REC even if you do not focus on the images, especially if you have those fears of losing it. Having a video recorded on your phone/tablet in case of a crash might help you when identifying the actual crash site!

Reactions: Karl2951
For me, I think it was confidence in "my" ability to properly fly. It is a machine that you control, no different than a vehicle.

Just remember to fly safe, have a solid plan, and you'll have a huge sense of satisfaction when it come back home in one piece.

If took me several days to fly past 400 feet (away...never more than that in height)! So don't rush it! You'll know when you are comfortable with your abilities as a pilot.....

Good luck!!!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pilot74sparki