DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When to let go of your mavic..

I always do "RC switch off test" to ensure RTH works well before flying away or flying out of sight my bird. Better check and make sure.

It's so small even at just a 1/4 mile out in open area it's hard to see. Thinking of doing a yellow with black straps (bumble bee) wrap so I can see it better. I love It, and as weather get better here (rain for the last week!) I'll fly it more and get used to its true capabilities.

8cfda3ea9b673cc4f249c9c25e8aa8db.jpg

Plastidipped mine, helps a bit, still think I will install some bright white flashing LED's

Last edited:
I have flown UAV units for a number of years now so I it took me about 6.flights to get the feel for the bird before I just let loose and went for a few long runs. I'm not a fan of going so far out I can't see it. Rule is, if you can't see it , then don't risk flying it. Only exception is if I know the area it's flying in real well.

I laughed out loud when I read the part about going blind.

Yes, I do fly a lot. I fly almost every day. Being that I'm in Arizona, weather never enters into the decision - it's always clear and sunny (although summer should be interesting). I've traded in my DJI diapers for some DJI big boy pants!

I will admit that just because I have flown a lot in a short amount of time, it has not prevented me from making mistakes. I hit a tree when shooting the video below. It was the ONLY tree within 100 yards of where I was flying. In staying with the title of this thread, I guess I let my Mavic go...out of site and into a tree. Maybe this is like golf - right about the time you think you finally understand it, it reaches out and bites you!

-Scott

Thats a pretty nice video production Scott.
You lucky devil, you can fly everyday. I wish I could get out twice on a weekend! Oh well I guess your young and don't have the family burdens yet. Enjoy it while it lasts, I remember those days of getting up and doing what I wanted to do.
Anyway you certainly are in the DJI big boy pants now with 140 flights. I think the record holder on the forum is probably at near 400, so at the rate you are going you will pass him in 5 months.

Rob

Thats a pretty nice video production Scott.
You lucky devil, you can fly everyday. I wish I could get out twice on a weekend! Oh well I guess your young and don't have the family burdens yet. Enjoy it while it lasts, I remember those days of getting up and doing what I wanted to do.
Anyway you certainly are in the DJI big boy pants now with 140 flights. I think the record holder on the forum is probably at near 400, so at the rate you are going you will pass him in 5 months.

Rob
Ha! Age is nothing but a number. My number just happens to be 49, but I've really never felt older than 20. That being said, I have 3 kids - two living on campus at ASU and one just out of college and on his own. My wife and I are empty-nesters for the first time, so having some spare time is pretty new to us - but we will get through it :)

I own a software development company, and truth be told, I've played hooky more days since I bought my Mavic than I have in my entire career.

I'm glad you liked the video. It's my second editing attempt and I'm starting to like the editing process almost as much as flying - almost.

-Scott

How long did you go before you got over the fear of losing or crashing your mavic? The first time it flew out of sight or over water. Wondering if it would come back or fall out of the sky. Scary stuff. Owned mine for 2 weeks. About 4 flights, still afraid to let it go and do its thing.
I've now flown about 130 miles to date. The best advice I can give to newer pilots is learn as much as you can by reading the manual (multiple times), and follow this forum so you can learn from others. The other advice would be "altitude is your friend". Make sure you go straight up above any obstacles before you move away from your location. Also, learn how to use the telemetry. This can be helpful if you loose sight of the AC, and things go wrong. How many drones would have not been lost had the pilot not only depended on the RTH button? Think about the "what if situations", and how best to handle these situations before they happen. Be aware of your surroundings and weather conditions. If breezy, always fly into the wind first....a breeze on the ground can be a full gale at 300 feet.

I've always been fearful of it going down in the woods and not being able to find it. A Trackimo or MP helps with that concern. A Getterback helps if it goes down over the water, at least if you have DJI Refresh.

After you learn everything you can, and take all precautions, just go fly and enjoy it! A little bit of fear is always good, and hopefully will never fully go away. My kids named the Mavic Icarus, as a reminder of what can happen.

Last edited:
I laughed out loud when I read the part about going blind.

Yes, I do fly a lot. I fly almost every day. Being that I'm in Arizona, weather never enters into the decision - it's always clear and sunny (although summer should be interesting). I've traded in my DJI diapers for some DJI big boy pants!

I will admit that just because I have flown a lot in a short amount of time, it has not prevented me from making mistakes. I hit a tree when shooting the video below. It was the ONLY tree within 100 yards of where I was flying. In staying with the title of this thread, I guess I let my Mavic go...out of site and into a tree. Maybe this is like golf - right about the time you think you finally understand it, it reaches out and bites you!

-Scott

Remember that dog track ;)

Had some fun flyin around that tall 140' ish flag pole in Vicksburg off 10 also some snaps of the CO river under the 10

SkyPixel - Connecting Creativity

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pilot74sparki