DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where can I even fly :/

nelson.meeks12

Reactions
Hello!

I'm a new Mavic pilot (based in US) and been doing a lot of research on the FAA website as well as the Airmap & Know Before You Fly. I'm a landscape/nature photographer and the more I read about drone flying restrictions, the more I regret purchasing the Mavic (especially TOTAL banning of drone in US national parks...is this really TRUE :(?). I totally understand the safety issue and to not fly around/above airports, crowded areas, skyscrapers, >400 ft, etc. However, based on the Airmap & KBYF websites, it honestly seems like I cannot fly ANYWHERE besides a dedicated "drone" grass field.

I have no intentions of breaking the law and again understand the safety reasons behind these restrictions, but I do feel that the drone community is misrepresented. What are your thoughts & how do you all fly within the guidelines and get good footage?

Thank you all! Happy flying!

-N. Meeks

Yes, National Parks are currently off-limits, although I have heard of some getting permits to fly there.

Check with your local and State parks to see if they permit flight. Near me, one county doesn't restrict it - fortunately. Many National Recreation areas are OK as well.

In short, it varies from place to place.

Reactions: jointeffort
I'm with you on the National Park thing, and in my state, state parks as well. National Forests are still ok as long as it isn't a dedicated wilderness area. As for Airmap, don't be terribly discouraged. As a recreational flyer, all you need to do is call the airport and tell them where, and when you'll be flying.

I admit is is a pain right now as things get better hashed out, but giving up is exactly what they would rather we do, than have to deal with us.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djiNonMini