DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"Why do you hate drones?"

kona

Reactions
One of the more interesting aspects of Mavic ownership, be it one of the more uncomfortable, has been the hate I get from random pedestrians feeling an urge to announce their disapproval. I've made it a habit to greet people with an inviting smile "Hi, how are you doing?" and curiously ask them "What do you not like about it?". I try to not call it a "drone". When asking them I really try to figure out what it is that bothers them. Is it the noise (which I find more understandable if I'm not far enough from people) or is it an irrational fear of surveillance in a public spot where everybody has a cell phone with a camera anyway and, well, it's a public spot? People are really struggling responding. I'm not trying to do this to torture them but because I feel it's important to make folks question their own assumptions, also if we want to increase public acceptance in the future. My sense is that, apart from those genuinely disliking the noise, people really don't know what they're worried about. Rather there seems to be a vague notion of something they've hear about UAVs and maybe being surveyed that drives them to critique a fellow citizen's hobby (which I personally would never do unless I've thoroughly thought about what makes me angry).

I'm still learning how to make these interactions the most useful for both sides. For me, I find myself more and more avoiding locations with even a few people nearby, but don't know if this is the best response (fleeing). Also, the majority of those talking to me still express approval and are thrilled about the Mavic -- though this doesn't mean that the majority actually like it because those not liking it are probably less likely to speak up.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Main reasons.

1. Invasion of privacy. Everyone's heard about the drone peering thru the neighbor's bedroom window. I can understand if you're out for a nature walk or sightseeing adventure then who wants a drone buzzing above them?

2. Lack of knowledge about the hobby. The public doesn't really understand what drones offer in the way of a fun/harmless activity for the most part.

3. Drones are not like model airplanes or heli's. They fly a lot closer to people so you're going to have more problems with noise. I was playing golf the other day & some guy was flying his Mavic close enough that it was distracting. If I wasn't an enthusiast then I might have a negative opinion.

4. You don't notice the guy taking a picture/video with a phone but a drone is entirely different.

This will be an interesting thread to watch the discussions.. I too think people are "assuming" they are being "spied on" by us pilots. I work in Cambria Ca., a nice little town on the coast south of Big Sur with awesome coastal views. Being a new Mavic pilot, I have wanted to do the "Beach Shot" that you see from so many posted videos. I have driven to the beach on several occasions but there were too many people in the area I wanted to fly so I passed. Mainly because I didn't want THEM in the shot, I wanted to fly a low and slow because there were driftwood "structures" that people build that I was mainly interested in, and secondly I didn't want to hear anybody telling me I was invading their privacy. But a couple days ago, it was kind of a dreary morning and I was hoping the tourists were staying in their hotel rooms a little longer, and it turns out they were, so I launched.. got some ok footage, remember, NEW guy, lol, and then had a couple walking on the footpath stop and watch me..so I showed them just what I was doing by letting them watch on my phone. They thought it was pretty cool and I explained to them that it's pretty hard to "spy" with these as by the time you get close enough to make out any detail, you have been discovered by the sound of the aircraft. Then I flew it in close in front of us, the wife smiled and waved, watching herself on my phone. Hopefully these friendly interactions, ALONG with responsible piloting, will help in the perception of what the public think of us. AND then again, there are the paranoid people that you just can't do anything about.... OH, on that note I wonder if I could hook up a smoke generator so it looked like I was making "Chem Trails"? Then I would fly over a coworkers house just for fun!!!!...LOL

This will be an interesting thread to watch the discussions.. I too think people are "assuming" they are being "spied on" by us pilots. I work in Cambria Ca., a nice little town on the coast south of Big Sur with awesome coastal views. Being a new Mavic pilot, I have wanted to do the "Beach Shot" that you see from so many posted videos. I have driven to the beach on several occasions but there were too many people in the area I wanted to fly so I passed. Mainly because I didn't want THEM in the shot, I wanted to fly a low and slow because there were driftwood "structures" that people build that I was mainly interested in, and secondly I didn't want to hear anybody telling me I was invading their privacy. But a couple days ago, it was kind of a dreary morning and I was hoping the tourists were staying in their hotel rooms a little longer, and it turns out they were, so I launched.. got some ok footage, remember, NEW guy, lol, and then had a couple walking on the footpath stop and watch me..so I showed them just what I was doing by letting them watch on my phone. They thought it was pretty cool and I explained to them that it's pretty hard to "spy" with these as by the time you get close enough to make out any detail, you have been discovered by the sound of the aircraft. Then I flew it in close in front of us, the wife smiled and waved, watching herself on my phone. Hopefully these friendly interactions, ALONG with responsible piloting, will help in the perception of what the public think of us. AND then again, there are the paranoid people that you just can't do anything about.... OH, on that note I wonder if I could hook up a smoke generator so it looked like I was making "Chem Trails"? Then I would fly over a coworkers house just for fun!!!!...LOL

I just returned from a trip to your neighborhood, Morro Bay. Beautiful area and I could not agree more with your post.
I think the reaction you get from people regarding drones is all about how you engage the in the conversation. I encountered several interested people while flying near our hotel and along the beach. Each time I explained to them what I was doing and offered to let them look over my shoulder. I could have probably sold at least four Mavics on that trip if I would have had some in the car. I never got one negative response with this approach.

Drones are hated. Crazy huh. Flew yesterday in an open field. My car was parked in a legal parking spot and a passing motorcyclist drove by and gave me a look of hatred for flying my Mavic.

I typically choose areas away from public observation on launch and recovery. I wish the compass would register interference otherwise I'd just pop the sunroof open and fly from inside my car. Lol [emoji38]

Reactions: Topoceans and kona
I think the main public perception of drones is that they're only purpose is to spy on people. The uninformed public cant see any possible legitimate use for them. I think people also overestimate how interesting they are and think others give a ____ about what they're doing.

In an effort to avoid anyone speaking to me while I fly I launch in secluded areas, try to fly as high and quietly as possible and got a white skin to cover my MP and make it less noticeable.

I usually fly in field that has a walking path for people and bikes. I have been there about 15 times and never got a bad comment from anyone. Most (like this family in the pic) are very interested in the mavic. I always bring it down to show them what it can do. I hover it and show them how stable it is. I fly it towards me to show them the front voidance and then put my hand under it to show it move away from me. After a short demonstration I land it and show them some of the sunset pics I've taken with it or maybe the storm clouds from the day before. They love it. I'm wanting to take it to some car show and get some video but like most people i'm a little scared of the older generation. They seem to be split between liking it or don't understand why I have it. I'll try to get some input from other car owners before I bring it out to fly. I guess in general just be polite and tell them about what all it can do rather then just say I'm not spying on you or if you don't like it go away. As always have fun and be respectful of others.

Reactions: ReadyKilowatt
I always make a conscious effort to fly away from people. Numerous times I have waited for someone to leave an area so I could fly.
Two reasons, first I don't want to annoy them whilst they enjoy the view they came to see in peace and quiet. Second, risk mitigation.
However, there are times when waiting is not possible so I just do the best I can to not annoy anyone.
One time I was waiting for a guy to leave a viewing platform that has a cool harbour view. He seemed to be there for ages, anyway he started to head towards his car so I set up the UAV and he came over. Turns out he was waiting for me to start flying as he was into UAV's too.
I've not had any "bad" responses from passers by. I have only had two people say "is that your drone" in a "are you spying on me" tone. Not aggressive by any means though.
One was a lady paddling a kayak. I'm not sure if she was happy or not when I said it was mine.
The other was a lady with two young children. She too had that "are you spying" look on her face. I said as politely as I could that I was filming some dolphins in our harbour. Asked if she and her children wanted to have a look. They came over and they were all stunned. The mother was really cool about it and the kids loved seeing the dolphins from the air.
I think most who are concerned are apprehensive or negative due to fear of the unknown.
Of course there are just plain old crazy people who hate anything.

As of right now I have only had two actual interactions with people other than my neighbors. Once was in the nearby park and another was in the mountains. The one in the park was inquiring if I was getting it ready for a camera. Obviously he didn't know it already had one. Since I was only testing camera settings I just said yes and he moved on. The other one the guy was simply amazed that it was over a mile away from my location and waited to see it land. He thought it was pretty cool and told me have a good day and left. Nothing negative yet.

I am also a hider, try not to see any people if I can, the non flying public is a total bring down, And you talk about spying on people, any one heard of the NSA and there metadata program?

I've only had one negative experience with people and that was a couple years ago. Now, usually people just wave at the camera and tell their kids "look there's a drone!" Still, I try to keep away from people as much as possible, if my normal flying area has to many people i'll look for another place to fly.

Reactions: kd mavic
People do not hate drones . They hate the drone pilots self centered entitlement attitude that they can fly them anywhere , anytime , how low or high as they want without caring about the people around them . It's like the obnoxious person that talks loud or takes calls in the theatre .

The main reason I avoid people when flying is because they are a distraction. I've had small crowds gather while I've been flying my Mavic. 99% of them are positive and excited about the technology. I've had one guy ask me not to film him (I wasn't going to anyway). Other than that I think I have done my part in promoting the hobby in a positive way.

But mainly just I never feel comfortable flying when people are around. I can't concentrate properly and I'm scared I will make a mistake.

It's pretty weird, But I've never had a negative experience while flying my drone, with strangers. 99% of the time, the people I run into are curious. Some come up to me and ask my what kind of drone it is ("hey is that the Gopro drone ?"), most have said, "hey that's pretty cool". I usually get comments from guys my age (54) or younger, most guys think it's a cool hobby. Lots of us gadget geeks in the world, so a drone is a pretty cool gadget in the gadget hierarchy. One guy, while I was flying my drone (it was a Yuneec Q500+) wanted to pay me to film some stuff with his fiancé on building rooftops and in hills to use in a wedding video. So 99% positive, the 1% has been people just watching me fly without any questions, so I don't know how/what they were thinking.

Reactions: kona
It might in part be an age thing where folks trust people above some age more than below some age.

It's pretty weird, But I've never had a negative experience while flying my drone, with strangers. 99% of the time, the people I run into are curious. Some come up to me and ask my what kind of drone it is ("hey is that the Gopro drone ?"), most have said, "hey that's pretty cool". I usually get comments from guys my age (54) or younger, most guys think it's a cool hobby. Lots of us gadget geeks in the world, so a drone is a pretty cool gadget in the gadget hierarchy. One guy, while I was flying my drone (it was a Yuneec Q500+) wanted to pay me to film some stuff with his fiancé on building rooftops and in hills to use in a wedding video. So 99% positive, the 1% has been people just watching me fly without any questions, so I don't know how/what they were thinking.

When on a job, flying my Inspire 1, I make myself as visible as possible. I have a 5 foot landing pad, some cones, a bright safety vest and usually a media cart to serve as table. A people approached me with questions of what are you doing? After telling them, everything was fine. I even had police cars passing by without stopping. When I fly the Mavic for fun, I usually don't have the "bling" but I don't hide and try my best to stay away from people or when they snick up on me I stop the shot and aggressively move the drone away from the persons.
Flying early in the morning is probably the most "safe" time and the light is the best. In the late afternoon, there are more people outside but the light is really nice.
Most people on this board are respectful of others and by educating the public one person at a time, we will restore trust.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi