DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Word for sideways motion?

We used to do it all the time when ridge-soaring our paragliders. Flying along the ridge, but facing out and away from the ridge, when the wind was towards the upper limits. And we always referred to it as "crabbing".

Reactions: JoostGT3
We used to do it all the time when ridge-soaring our paragliders. Flying along the ridge, but facing out and away from the ridge, when the wind was towards the upper limits. And we always referred to it as "crabbing".
Oh, the good old times! Used to do that over the dunes in the Netherlands and the Austrian Alps... until a "bit of a mishap" cost me a fractured vertebrae... boy do I miss the feeling of weigth-steering during ridge soaring! :'-(

For anyone old enough to remember a real war (I remember WW II), the word "strafe" has a very negative connotation.

I'm sure the term drone has very negative connotations for many people as well but that doesn't stop it being in common usage for this type of aircraft, if I talk about strafing my with Mavic I seriously doubt there would be any confusion about whether I'm talking about hosing down an enemy with machine gun fire and missiles or moving sideways.

John

Reactions: Lt Shanks
I've been using the terms as defined by UAV Coach's "How to fly a quadcopter" article:
Roll = sideways lean (aircraft tilts sideways even if the camera doesn't)
Pitch = lean forward/backward
Yaw = rotate clockwise/counterclockwise

Reactions: Big Fil
I'm sure the term drone has very negative connotations for many people as well but that doesn't stop it being in common usage for this type of aircraft, if I talk about strafing my with Mavic I seriously doubt there would be any confusion about whether I'm talking about hosing down an enemy with machine gun fire and missiles or moving sideways.

John
Well said John I agree - "crabbing" is catching crabs at the ocean with a cage - lol

Reactions: Johnmcl7
As a TV camera operator I would term lateral moves as crabs.

Crab left or crab right.

It's a single syllable and we all know what crabs do, at least apocryphally.

Reactions: Dw911
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661