DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yes,I flew over an airport today.

bronze661

Reactions
Calm down, I grew up next door from 1966 to 1981. Its been closed for a lot of years. I never imagined I would go back 37 years later and fly over it with a flying computer/camera.

I started flying back around 1979 out of an old flying club on a grass strip that closed around 1981 when the regional airport was built. A textile mill built factory on one end of the old strip. The average person riding by today would never have known there used to be an airport there, but from the air there are still tale tell signs that it used to be a landing strip if you know what you are looking for, even 37 years later. Last year I took my Mavic over and flew the old traffic pattern for the strip. I couldn't fly it VLOS to me, but I used 3 spotters all talking to me through a three way call by cell phone. I put one spotter with me at the field, the second one picked up VLOS as it made the crosswind turn and followed it till it was mid way the down wind leg, then the third spotter was positioned to pick it up mid down wind leg and follow it through the base leg until it turned on final. It is pretty boring footage, but it was done to share with others who had flown out of that field so many years ago.

Reactions: bronze661
I started flying back around 1979 out of an old flying club on a grass strip that closed around 1981 when the regional airport was built. A textile mill built factory on one end of the old strip. The average person riding by today would never have known there used to be an airport there, but from the air there are still tale tell signs that it used to be a landing strip if you know what you are looking for, even 37 years later. Last year I took my Mavic over and flew the old traffic pattern for the strip. I couldn't fly it VLOS to me, but I used 3 spotters all talking to me through a three way call by cell phone. I put one spotter with me at the field, the second one picked up VLOS as it made the crosswind turn and followed it till it was mid way the down wind leg, then the third spotter was positioned to pick it up mid down wind leg and follow it through the base leg until it turned on final. It is pretty boring footage, but it was done to share with others who had flown out of that field so many years ago.
awesome! I love the way you did that.

What's with the guy with the paraglider. Didn't look like a powered chute.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EwaKrzyzanowska