DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

“CAN’T OPERATE UAS ON ST AUGUSTINE BEACH FLORIDA” = DEBUNKED

MORTON

Reactions
I wanted to make sure I was being lawful before attempting to operate my MA2 over the beach to get those awesome dune shots as well as some long exposure shots of the waves.

I’ve been told several times by many people that under no circumstance can you fly a drone over the beaches here but I could never find anything actually stating that.

I researched online until my eyes bled so I decided to reach out to local law enforcement.

So, after emailing the St Augustine Beach Police Department (SABPD) The Police Chief took the time to email me back promptly.

I won’t attach the email traffic here for PII reasons but if you’d like a copy you may PM me if you’re looking to fly in the area and would like the printout.

The response:

“St. Augustine Beach falls under the St. Johns County Beach Code. Per the county beach code, it is unlawful to launch or land a drone on a county beach. It doesn't specify about flying over the beach though after launching and landing from another location.

Hope this helps.”

So, as you can see, it IS legal to fly over the beach here in St Augustine as long as you’re not launching or landing on the beach itself.

I wanted to make sure I was being lawful before attempting to operate my MA2 over the beach to get those awesome dune shots as well as some long exposure shots of the waves.

I’ve been told several times by many people that under no circumstance can you fly a drone over the beaches here but I could never find anything actually stating that.

I researched online until my eyes bled so I decided to reach out to local law enforcement.

So, after emailing the St Augustine Beach Police Department (SABPD) The Police Chief took the time to email me back promptly.

I won’t attach the email traffic here for PII reasons but if you’d like a copy you may PM me if you’re looking to fly in the area and would like the printout.

The response:

“St. Augustine Beach falls under the St. Johns County Beach Code. Per the county beach code, it is unlawful to launch or land a drone on a county beach. It doesn't specify about flying over the beach though after launching and landing from another location.

Hope this helps.”

So, as you can see, it IS legal to fly over the beach here in St Augustine as long as you’re not launching or landing on the beach itself.
I'm just north in Jax and I launch/land from isolated beach parking and had police walk up to see my shots mid flight out of curiosity and to chat, not from a slap your hand standpoint. Well done getting something in writing from SABPD though since they can be stuck in small town lawman mode.

Yeah man I used to be a small town Police Officer and while they do a good job of passing out info at the briefings with this UAS stuff it can be very confusing Federal, State and even now county regulations.

Like I said it’s always better to be safe than sorry and I just want to do the right things because I want us to be able to continue to fly.

The Police Chief was very kind and definitely responded very quickly within an hour. So I feel more comfortable now especially with the Chiefs email in hand.

If you’d like a copy just let me know.

Yeah man I used to be a small town Police Officer and while they do a good job of passing out info at the briefings with this UAS stuff it can be very confusing Federal, State and even now county regulations.

Like I said it’s always better to be safe than sorry and I just want to do the right things because I want us to be able to continue to fly.

The Police Chief was very kind and definitely responded very quickly within an hour. So I feel more comfortable now especially with the Chiefs email in hand.

The only one with authority to regulate the FLYING of UAVs is FAA (and maybe NPS?). Any governmental level, on the other hand, can legislate where TAKE OFF and LANDING of UAVs are permitted.

I'll definitely take a copy, thank you. I've been planning on some St. Auggie shots soon and this would be good to have on hand.

Reactions: MORTON

The response:

Hope this helps.”

Interesting. I live in St Augustine Beach and fly at the beach often. I have had officers drive by on patrol and they're always friendly and wave as I'm holding my controller. Never once have they had an issue with me flying there. I try to be smart and only fly when it's not crowded and avoid flying directly over people. I worry that it will only take a few irresponsible fools to spoil it for everyone eventually. Until then, happy and safe flying!

The only one with authority to regulate the FLYING of UAVs is FAA (and maybe NPS?). Any governmental level, on the other hand, can legislate where TAKE OFF and LANDING of UAVs are permitted.
Which is precisely the point made here haha Good catch!

I'll definitely take a copy, thank you. I've been planning on some St. Auggie shots soon and this would be good to have on hand.
Just PM me your email and I’ll shoot it over buddy no problem! Not bad to have as a just in case!

Interesting. I live in St Augustine Beach and fly at the beach often. I have had officers drive by on patrol and they're always friendly and wave as I'm holding my controller. Never once have they had an issue with me flying there. I try to be smart and only fly when it's not crowded and avoid flying directly over people. I worry that it will only take a few irresponsible fools to spoil it for everyone eventually. Until then, happy and safe flying!

Yeah it’s pretty lax but it’s always good to confirm just Incase that one LEO isn’t aware. I like to avoid confusion especially while flying.

I like to drive on the beach in my Jeep so what I plan on doing is driving down to the beach side of Hammock Park (it’s a city park with a walking beach access) walk up from the beach to the ramp and taking off from there. Plus being up on the ramp would give me better LOS.

Besides takeoff and land, include operate. Operate? You say?
You could stand on the beach with your remote, but takeoff and land outside of the beach.

NPS has regulations on takeoff, land and operate, but they are aware they can't regulate overflight. Note though some NPS areas are covered by a TFR, such as areas of the Grand Canyon.

The response:

Hope this helps.”

Be careful
Yeah it’s pretty lax but it’s always good to confirm just Incase that one LEO isn’t aware. I like to avoid confusion especially while flying.

I like to drive on the beach in my Jeep so what I plan on doing is driving down to the beach side of Hammock Park (it’s a city park with a walking beach access) walk up from the beach to the ramp and taking off from there. Plus being up on the ramp would give me bette

The response:

Hope this helps.”

Good news for you! Wish I had the same here in Gulf Shores, AL. They have signs, and I was told by a Police Officer and there is no flying ANYWHERE is Gulf Shores, unless I have submitted a request from the City; of course there is a fee. The fine is $500 if found flying here. Of course I could take them to court...lawyer fees, time: I'm a snow bird from Illinois down here for 3 months. It's called; Gotcha! Guess I will go East for 20 min and fly in Florida!

Good news for you! Wish I had the same here in Gulf Shores, AL. They have signs, and I was told by a Police Officer and there is no flying ANYWHERE is Gulf Shores, unless I have submitted a request from the City; of course there is a fee. The fine is $500 if found flying here. Of course I could take them to court...lawyer fees, time: I'm a snow bird from Illinois down here for 3 months. It's called; Gotcha! Guess I will go East for 20 min and fly in Florida!
That's for takeoffs and landing unauthorized. They don't control the air FAA. Yes, there are so many nice places.

The response:

Hope this helps.”

that type of restriction can be found in many places. The airspace above the restricted areas is governed by the FAA.

Just hand launch and land. It's the ground that's restricted. B4UFly lists most Gulf beaches as "Good to fly" but local restrictions can bar you from taking off and landing from the ground. Stupid.

Just hand launch and land. It's the ground that's restricted. B4UFly lists most Gulf beaches as "Good to fly" but local restrictions can bar you from taking off and landing from the ground. Stupid.
You are probably technically correct but it’s splitting hairs. Think about the time and money involved in defending yourself in court as mentioned above. Ultimately you have to decide if it’s worth it.

Another reminder, local laws only cover the ground “above the high water line”. It’s easily marked in the sand. We have many “private” beaches here that owners lost court battles to remove trespassers down to the water. If water touches the sand at mean high tide, it’s Federal land. Some owners mark their boundaries so you know what’s theirs. (These change often from beach renourishment by Army corps of engineers). B4UFLY covers this Fed property so if it says Good To Fly, go fly. From the shoreline, if needed. I fish with my drones, so I’ve had to show my phone screen to officers in the past as some had no idea. Shrug and a fist bump, all good.

I thought of this idea of taking off and landing from my Jeep roof haha

Reactions: Capt KO

It doesn't work that way.

You are the landing / launch pad that happens to be standing on the property that is restricted.

Just kidding of course, but if you simultaneously jump up in the air to launch / land, that procedure may work since you are not on the property for a brief moment in time. :D

Reactions: MORTON and Capt KO
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143