DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

“Defense One Today” article on the possible threat of consumer drones

Why would a douche bag publish an article like that? Freaking fear mongers! Someone can also kill you with a pop-cycle stick too.

Maybe, but not from 5 km away and not if the targets are armed or can defend themselves.

Anyway - it's an article about actual current use of readily available consumer technology in conflict - that seems to me to be a perfectly reasonable subject for an article in that publication.

Maybe, but not from 5 km away and not if the targets are armed or can defend themselves.

Anyway - it's an article about actual current use of readily available consumer technology in conflict - that seems to me to be a perfectly reasonable subject for an article in that publication.
Yeah, I guess for that publication the subject is fine. Though I'm sure that more carnage is/can be done by automobiles driving into crowds.

You can stop autos by blocking the roads. How can you stop a drone dropping a bomb into a crowd like in a band concert?

You can stop autos by blocking the roads. How can you stop a drone dropping a bomb into a crowd like in a band concert?
The same way you stop someone firing semi-auto rounds from a hotel room window on concert crowds...you don't. Bottom-line is that if an individual is "hell bent" on doing harm to others (i.e.soft targets) good luck trying to stop them. Unfortunately this is now the world we live in.

Yeah, I guess for that publication the subject is fine. Though I'm sure that more carnage is/can be done by automobiles driving into crowds.

That may or may not be true, but it's not a very good reason to object to a discussion of this method, especially since it is actively being used and developed. It's remote and quite precisely targetable in real time - that sets it apart from some of the other favorites.

We will see consumer drones used for terrorism sooner or later.

There are plenty of potentially frightening scenarios involving large crowds and flying machines carrying payloads.

A matrice 600 can reliably carry 20 pounds.

If I were in charge of homeland security, this would be something that keeps me up at night.

There is difficulty in recognizing that a drone is in the area, and a whole different problem of figuring out how to bring it down. Then you need this technology to work on drones from different manufactures, even home built units. It's a daunting task.

I would expect to see this sort of thing in Europe as it is the current hotbed of extremism but it could happen anywhere.

Last edited:
May be next version of DJI go can determine the payload a drone is carrying and alert authorities if more than usual amount is detected.

Also large crowds like concerts can be added to NFZ and spotters/law enforcement can keep an eye on it to shoot them before they get to the area.

Shooting down a drone traveling 50 mph at 500 or 1,000 feet agl with a sniper rifle in a populated area simply is not a practical solution.

What if there are 5 or 10 or 20 of them all at once? Or if they are at several thousand feet agl when they drop their payload. Mavic can climb to nearly 10,000 feet agl.

I agree with the guy who wrote the article that weaponized drones are likely to be a big problem with no easy solution.

There are several contractors working on various solutions to this problem, but most solutions are only suitable for a single manufacturer.

Shooting down a drone traveling 50 mph at 500 or 1,000 feet agl with a sniper rifle in a populated area simply is not a practical solution.

What if there are 5 or 10 or 20 of them all at once? Or if they are at several thousand feet agl when they drop their payload. Mavic can climb to nearly 10,000 feet agl.

I agree with the guy who wrote the article that weaponized drones are likely to be a big problem with no easy solution.

There are several contractors working on various solutions to this problem, but most solutions are only suitable for a single manufacturer.

There are various jamming solutions available to government agencies and LE.

What if...... When there is a will there is a way. That applies to both sides, people who are planning to harm others, and people who are going to stop them.

My biggest fear from this story is not that I will get hurt by one of those bad guys but getting hurt by the regulations good guys are going to put on this hobby I love.

Freedom to fly needs to be added to constitution to get same level of protection as guns do.

Last edited:
Reactions: gkrug
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31