DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

1.4.8 Android

photo2be

Reactions
Hi I'm quite sure I installed the DJI Fly app to my Huawei Pad from their app play. Now I want to update to 1.4.8 but can't find it.. :(
What do I do wrong or miss? The IOS Ipad update worked perfect.

All Android updates come from DJI, not the play store....reports are even DJI are labeling theirs wrong and if downloaded you will get the latest. ;)

Actually that link works for me. Look at the file name as it's loading - you'll see v1.4.8 in it. I did it on my android phone last night. I don't know why the site still says 1.4.2

Watched a few videos on the update on youtube. The FPV mode seems to work ton better. Didn't see really anything negative except that one guy said everything seems a little over saturated now.

wait, theyre pushing app updates for drones via direct website download too? they started that bs (that i saw personally anyway) with the ronins some time ago, but i havent even dusted off the m2p in a while to experience it for those apps.

under absolutely no circunstances will i sideload an apk from ANY source, and I would strongly advise anyone with half a brain to have the same policy. theres a reason the OS disables that ability by default, and clearly theres some reason that DJI is refusing to submit their app code to the app store review process.

guess ill be selling off the drone if this is gonna be dji's stance going forward.

wait, theyre pushing app updates for drones via direct website download too? they started that bs (that i saw personally anyway) with the ronins some time ago, but i havent even dusted off the m2p in a while to experience it for those apps.

under absolutely no circunstances will i sideload an apk from ANY source, and I would strongly advise anyone with half a brain to have the same policy. theres a reason the OS disables that ability by default, and clearly theres some reason that DJI is refusing to submit their app code to the app store review process.

guess ill be selling off the drone if this is gonna be dji's stance going forward.
If you cannot trust the software vendor, who can you trust? The Play store for all intensive purposes is a malware playground and you'd prefer to go there?

So its up to you, your other choice is to get an iPhone/Pad and stop using Android so that you can get Fly from the App Store that at least has a reasonable record of trust, course the app there comes from the same place. DJI..

WOW - not a thing wrong with going DIRECTLY to DJI for an app update. C'mon man!

You're welcome to trust that there's nothing bad in the app, or that their security internally is super top grade and a 3rd party hasn't injected their own fun into the code. I work in security, and this is simply the most blatant example of bad procedure I've seen from any otherwise reputable hardware vendor.

There's no valid reason for them to bypass the checks of any application store, and even the lord of the flies Tim Cook has made that abundantly clear in recent times. The fact that they have made such a choice is in itself a reason to not trust them, full stop.

And since there is no reason whatsoever to justify paying an Apple tax, buying into that hardware/software realm isn't an option that's worth half a second of consideration.

Direct APK downloads can contain literally ANYTHING, and there is absolutely no 3rd party security validation, or checks and balances.

Wanna buy my M2P since you're okay with this? Luckily for me, there's a DJI store right down the street that will happily resell my used gear, and that's precisely where it's going. It's a great drone, but no drone is worth throwing away the most basic of security for.

WOW - not a thing wrong with going DIRECTLY to DJI for an app update. C'mon man!
There's plenty wrong with it, but as I already mentioned in my previous reply, feel free to believe and do what you prefer.

If this were, say, a firmware update from Canon, that's one thing (just as an example) since it doesn't have a direct path to other services and your personal data... it's isolated to that device. A sketchy sideloaded APK in a mobile OS, however, can have access to every single thing on your phone/tablet/device though.

Might not be as much concern if you're using a dedicated device with your drone... one that is not tied to your google/apple account, or used for anything else, but most people don't dothat for many obvious reasons.

Some light reading on the matter if you're interested in learning a bit more though:

Last edited:
There's plenty wrong with it, but as I already mentioned in my previous reply, feel free to believe and do what you prefer.

If this were, say, a firmware update from Canon, that's one thing (just as an example) since it doesn't have a direct path to other services and your personal data... it's isolated to that device. A sketchy sideloaded APK in a mobile OS, however, can have access to every single thing on your phone/tablet/device though.

Some light reading on the matter if you're interested in learning a bit more though:

The Apple App System and Android are worlds apart. However, if you adamantly believe that downloading a file from the product manufacturers web site is not safe for installation, then your using the wrong device..

The Apple App System and Android are worlds apart. However, if you adamantly believe that downloading a file from the product manufacturers web site is not safe for installation, then your using the wrong device..
Worlds apart or not, you seem to think that the security provided by Apple's refusal to allow sideloading works. So your suggestion is to REDUCE the security that you already think is lower on Android, by bypassing what checks and balances DO exist in the app store validation?

And I agree, along with Tim Cook, that I am indeed using the wrong device. DJI put themselves in that position, not me, or Android. Luckily, DJI offers me nothing that is of greater value to me than my security and privacy.

I suppose Tim Cook is using the wrong device too if he believes it, which he clearly does.

You're welcome to trust that there's nothing bad in the app, or that their security internally is super top grade and a 3rd party hasn't injected their own fun into the code. I work in security, and this is simply the most blatant example of bad procedure I've seen from any otherwise reputable hardware vendor.

There's no valid reason for them to bypass the checks of any application store, and even the lord of the flies Tim Cook has made that abundantly clear in recent times. The fact that they have made such a choice is in itself a reason to not trust them, full stop.

And since there is no reason whatsoever to justify paying an Apple tax, buying into that hardware/software realm isn't an option that's worth half a second of consideration.

Direct APK downloads can contain literally ANYTHING, and there is absolutely no 3rd party security validation, or checks and balances.

Wanna buy my M2P since you're okay with this? Luckily for me, there's a DJI store right down the street that will happily resell my used gear, and that's precisely where it's going. It's a great drone, but no drone is worth throwing away the most basic of security for.
Glad you're leaving. BTW - worked IT Security as well pal. Go play with Parrot, Autel, Yuntec, or others. Won't be missed here with that kind of attitude. HOLIER THAN THOU!

BTW - I'd no more trust Tim Cook than Mark Zuckerturd, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, or the bozo's at Google / Alphabet - but you can do as you please - this is America.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead