DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

1 yr old Mavic, continual attempting to force land

mobalized

Reactions
I have had my Mavic for about a year, I've logged about 24 hours of flying on the quad but haven't been flying much in the past few months. I have had a few bugs but none associated with the downward vision sensors, only with the controller or phone randomly disconnecting and needing to restart the controller. Also, with a battery issue where it wouldn't power down.

Anyways, I got it out a few weeks ago with temperatures in the mid 20's and snow on the ground, at about 200 ft I had the Mavic start to force land itself. Not sure what was going on, I switched it into sport mode to abort the landing, and came back home. I messed around some more close to the ground and ended up having the Mavic land itself before I could flip the switch to sport mode this time. While doing this second round of testing I noticed that the altitude measured with the peripheral sensors would momentarily drop to < 1 ft and then go back to normal.

I decided to take it out again today to play around and saw the same results. This time there was no snow on the ground, sunny, with temperatures around 30 degrees. Flying at around 70-100 ft and I kept noticing the VPS think it was <1 ft in red again only for split seconds and then it would return to normal. I had to switch to sport mode on one occasion to prevent it from landing.

I'm not sure if this is maybe caused by fog over the downward optical sensors or what the cause might be. I've never seen it do it on past flights so it makes me think it is temperature related since I didn't own it during the cold months last year.

I realize that disabling the downward vision sensors will alleviate this, but are there any other thoughts on what might be causing this? I have about 1.5 months before the 1 year warranty / Refresh is up.

Have you disabled the sensors to at least confirm whether they are the problem?

Have you disabled the sensors to at least confirm whether they are the problem?
I had not thus far. I went to do it this morning but didn't run into the same issue. Temperatures are in the upper 40's which agrees with my thought on fogged vision sensors. Not sure if that is enough to confuse it or if it would have to have something going on with the data from ultrasonics as well.

When it's cold I'll test again with and without VPS on.

I went out the other night in flew in the dark around 32F. I saw the same behavior with the VPS sensor displaying a couple inches again. Wasn't able to specifically confirm that disabling VPS fixes the problem but I'm sure it does. Seems to be temperature related.

Any add on stuff on the Mavic? Legs, lights, etc.? I have read about add on landing gear interacting with the bottom sensors.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum