DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

101 & 102

wendyc

Reactions
How long were you flying before you took your 102, and would it be worth paying US$400 for your 101?

Hey, she is a well known member, don't you know?
Look under her icon. Just thought that was funny in this case.
Here I am complaining about the FAA charging $160 for a computer test and plastic card, and someone is charging $400 for a "102" test?
Can we censor this thread? THe FAA is getting ideas.
How about this - NOOOO, anything that costs $400 related to drone regulations is not worth it??

Can you clarify which country you are in and what you are referring to?
Sorry, I’m in New Zealand and referring to flying under 101 and Part 102. They’re offering part 101 certification here for NZ$500 + gst @ 15% and I wondered why you’d pay that much when the rules are pretty straightforward and easy to remember. I’m also asking about 102 (cost NZ$1200 * gst) and how much experience and how long you’d been flying for before you’re ready. Guess it’s really hard to answer though as we’re all different. Maybe a better measurement would be how many flights you’ve done. Wondering what y’all thoughts were ?. Thanks

Aussie pay AUD$1500 odd for RePL, like US part 107.
It's come down from about AUD$2500 in the past few years.

flying under 101 and Part 102. They’re offering part 101 certification here for NZ$500 + gst @ 15% and I wondered why you’d pay that much when the rules are pretty straightforward and easy to remember. I’m also asking about 102 (cost NZ$1200 * gst)

Isn't part 102 there for UAV, part 101 for parasail / girogliders ?
Surely you don't want to do 101 ?
Strange the seeming more stringent manned type of licence would be cheaper.

I definitely dont want to waste $NZ500 plus gst on 101, who would do that? One of the reasons Im asking, have you ever heard?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 10.22.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 10.22.11 AM.png
    182.2 KB · Views: 12
Part 101 4 days, 102 3 days, online, what about practical ?

Maybe part of the 101 relates to air regs for 102, who knows.

I'd call them and ask for sure, not sure why a 4 day course would be NZ$500+gst, and a 3 day course NZ $1200+gst.

Part 101 4 days, 102 3 days, online, what about practical ?

Maybe part of the 101 relates to air regs for 102, who knows.

I'd call them and ask for sure, not sure why a 4 day course would be NZ$500+gst, and a 3 day course NZ $1200+gst.
I will ask, thats a valid point indeed. I guess the value is higher for the 102. Not sure if I should invest when things are so dodgy now, probably hold back. Sending you a message now.

I will ask, thats a valid point indeed. I guess the value is higher for the 102. Not sure if I should invest when things are so dodgy now, probably hold back. Sending you a message now.

Ok, yes all up in the air at the moment (no pun intended).
What the situ with CAA there, are they changing things like Oz or the US / Euro etc ?
Or have they already gone through recent changes ?

I guess you only NEED 102 if you are going to do any commercial work, or maybe you have an Excluded category like we have in Oz ?

To be honest, I want to do 102 for kudos, esp being a woman pilot, and also should I need to go commercial which I would really love to do, also to give me some latitude. NOt sure what an excluded category is. Sorry

NOt sure what an excluded category is.

Maybe just Oz has this.
It enables a hobbiest pilot to fly commercial jobs without RePL.
You haven't go quite as much latitude as a RePL holder, still have to follow the hobbyist drone rules.
Not much in it, mostly keeping the 30m lateral distance from people, RePL can go to within 15m, and get waiver to fly at night.

Thanks, not here as far as I know :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki