DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

107 UAG Exam Problems

I have decided to go rouge and start a Drone Business here in Southeast Alaska. Beautiful land, wild life, and opportunities abound here. My trouble is I live in remote Bush Alaska, in a community of 40 people, on a remote island. Being 125 air mile from the nearest town of note, I have no test facility available. I have taken the FAA safety UAG practice test and an online course with RemotePilot.com. I'm fairly ready to take the exam but have know reasonable way to test. It would take a $1000,00 to get to the testing center from where I live. Yet someone that has already got his or her card, pass a past exam, can take it online and bob's your uncle? Where can I go for help? I already got the business for Drone Ranger, and have a Mavic Air 2 and a Mavic mini en route to start my business up with and clients just waiting for the moment I can get to work......I here crickets....oh, I just herd a pin drop for thirty paces. What can I do and how do I do it to or with? Right now I'm feeling a little postal about the whole thing. As you can probably tell by the sound of my post I not happy. I feel discriminated against and the FAA reps just shrug and tell me tough.....anyone...Help me please. I'm at a loss. I have a job right now that is 6 days a week fourteen hours a day. little time to battle the FAA or even weed though all of the sites myself. And yes I just took of two weeks off work to study and take the test. Only to find I couldn't take the final 107 Exam online because I'm a rookie and haven't taken it yet. But those that did can.....I hear that pin dropping again.....Anyone have any Advice?
Stay the course, RangerOne.
FAA won't change their rules. It would take an act of Congress. Keep pushing your nearest test center. I took mine at a local flight school but we are in Texas and access is not a problem.

just a thought: once when working in a remote area I was able to sit for a written exam and the USCG proctored it for me (had absolutely nothing to do with them); any chance you have a coast guard presence closer and perhaps they can help you out?

just a thought: once when working in a remote area I was able to sit for a written exam and the USCG proctored it for me (had absolutely nothing to do with them); any chance you have a coast guard presence closer and perhaps they can help you out?

This is entirely computer based, requiring the appropriate setup and access. Only FAA-approved testing centers will have that.

And for me drones and droning are a LIFESAVER. I have always wanted to be a pilot. I wanted to be no less then a helicopter pilot, but one fateful day after a Civil Air Patrol Training exercise my flight commander pulled a joke on me, during flight with me at the controls, that he said he never would do to anyone ever again. He covered my eyes, in that moment we both found out lurking in the depths of this young daredevil pilot was one hell of a bad case of vertigo. I learned that day I visually orient to my world by 95%. Needless to say I'm glad we had had a bit of altitude for we lost a lot in the falling barrel roll , I unintentionally put the twin piper into. That day my dream of piloting died. I lived but the dream die till I found drone and camera in one cool package.... I won't get to feel the flight but i can get to have that perspective again. What a feeling it was to be above it all....how little we are...how big life is around us.

I was a student pilot at 15, and did my solo in a piper warrior at 10 hours. One fine saturday morning in the summer, I had a dual scheduled with my instructor for 10:am. My boss had other plans and called me into work instead, so I am pumping gas a few miles from the airport and I hear this loud collision followed by a strange sucking sound. I quickly looked around and saw nothing, until I looked up and saw what was left of the plane I was supposed to be piloting that morning. It was horrific, the engine and cowl were missing, the wings had detached and fallen and landed intact in the telephone wires, suspended a few dozen feet off of the ground, sparing the large crowd gathered. I watched in stunned horror as what was left of the fuselage careened over a packed playfield and missed everyone and nose dived into a creek bed 10 feet away from the bleachers.

After that, my dream of flying ended on a hot summers day.. Just like that, fear had now replaced what was once a source of pure joy and freedom like I had never known and for 20 years I never touched a yoke again, and I let go of the dream.. Then on a whim on day, I went to the airport and finally found the courage to hop into a new Katana and do some pattern work. WOW, it was like I never took a break and it all came back to me instantly. However, that wasnt good enough for yours truly, and I decided to fly again.. This time I would follow my dream and I took lessons in a robinson R22 helicopter. OMG, I felt like a total fool and the dammed thing was mind blowingly difficult to control and master. Never the less, I kept at it cause I love a challenge (even if it was going to bankrupt me) and was totally hooked. One day around 15 hours into it, out of nowhere, it clicked and the dam thing started handling like a fine sports car that you could drive with absolute precision (once you built the muscle memory that is).

Job's came and jobs went, and I kept flying whenever I had the money.. Finally nearing the age of 60, i had some money saved, and I was ready to go for my Private's exam, and wouldnt you know it, I suffered a heart attack.. Not just any ol heart attack, but stage 4 failure.. Within a few months I was in total organ failure, but I got an LVAD (electric external heart pump) and it kept me alive for almost 3 years. Just as I was about to give up, I received a new heart (from a 15 year old donor) and woke up a new man with his whole life ahead of him. A miracle and example that none of us really knows whats going to happen next in life.. Never put off your dreams.. EVER !!

I am 63 now, in perfect health and I am still smitten with the helicopter thing in my bloodstream. So now I am chasing the FAA trying to get them to let me have another shot at my rotor craft license. It's a long drawn out process and I am chasing the dream once again.

I was shocked when I got my mavic air 2 and started flying it.. All of the chopper feelings come right back to me when I fly, because it is the same freedom , to sit and hover and take it all in is just truly majestic and awe inspiring. I used to take off from Hanscom AFB and go hover on most friday afternoons over Walden pond and route 128 in waltham just outside of Boston with the doors off of the chopper and my foot dangling over the edge out the door and just let the time flow by.. Peacefull bliss of the pond surrounded by chaos and people stuck in traffic staring up at me... dreaming probably. ...

Here is a view from my stead

DJI_0180.JPG

Anyhow that's my story and advice to all you young folk.

NEVER GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAMS

Cheers and good luck enjoying the freedom of droning

EC

I was a student pilot at 15, and did my solo in a piper warrior at 10 hours. One fine saturday morning in the summer, I had a dual scheduled with my instructor for 10:am. My boss had other plans and called me into work instead, so I am pumping gas a few miles from the airport and I hear this loud collision followed by a strange sucking sound. I quickly looked around and saw nothing, until I looked up and saw what was left of the plane I was supposed to be piloting that morning. It was horrific, the engine and cowl were missing, the wings had detached and fallen and landed intact in the telephone wires, suspended a few dozen feet off of the ground, sparing the large crowd gathered. I watched in stunned horror as what was left of the fuselage careened over a packed playfield and missed everyone and nose dived into a creek bed 10 feet away from the bleachers.

After that, my dream of flying ended on a hot summers day.. Just like that, fear had now replaced what was once a source of pure joy and freedom like I had never known and for 20 years I never touched a yoke again, and I let go of the dream.. Then on a whim on day, I went to the airport and finally found the courage to hop into a new Katana and do some pattern work. WOW, it was like I never took a break and it all came back to me instantly. However, that wasnt good enough for yours truly, and I decided to fly again.. This time I would follow my dream and I took lessons in a robinson R22 helicopter. OMG, I felt like a total fool and the dammed thing was mind blowingly difficult to control and master. Never the less, I kept at it cause I love a challenge (even if it was going to bankrupt me) and was totally hooked. One day around 15 hours into it, out of nowhere, it clicked and the dam thing started handling like a fine sports car that you could drive with absolute precision (once you built the muscle memory that is).

Job's came and jobs went, and I kept flying whenever I had the money.. Finally nearing the age of 60, i had some money saved, and I was ready to go for my Private's exam, and wouldnt you know it, I suffered a heart attack.. Not just any ol heart attack, but stage 4 failure.. Within a few months I was in total organ failure, but I got an LVAD (electric external heart pump) and it kept me alive for almost 3 years. Just as I was about to give up, I received a new heart (from a 15 year old donor) and woke up a new man with his whole life ahead of him. A miracle and example that none of us really knows whats going to happen next in life.. Never put off your dreams.. EVER !!

I am 63 now, in perfect health and I am still smitten with the helicopter thing in my bloodstream. So now I am chasing the FAA trying to get them to let me have another shot at my rotor craft license. It's a long drawn out process and I am chasing the dream once again.

I was shocked when I got my mavic air 2 and started flying it.. All of the chopper feelings come right back to me when I fly, because it is the same freedom , to sit and hover and take it all in is just truly majestic and awe inspiring. I used to take off from Hanscom AFB and go hover on most friday afternoons over Walden pond and route 128 in waltham just outside of Boston with the doors off of the chopper and my foot dangling over the edge out the door and just let the time flow by.. Peacefull bliss of the pond surrounded by chaos and people stuck in traffic staring up at me... dreaming probably. ...

Here is a view from my stead

View attachment 108297

Anyhow that's my story and advice to all you young folk.

NEVER GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAMS

Cheers and good luck enjoying the freedom of droning

EC
My motto

Dream Like You Will Live Forever
Live Like You Will Die Tomorrow

Once you have experienced a situation that it's a miracle you lived, you will appreciate life immensely more

I would like to take Part 107 in order to fly my Mavic 2 for commercial purposes. Is that possible during Covid-19? I understand that there is an online method to extend one's 'Part 107 license' during the pandemic. But I cannot find any information on taking the Part 107 Knowledge Test for the first time. Is there a way, or do I have to wait until the pandemic is over? Thanks for any info

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rejdmast