DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

1st beginner flight and 1st hazard ...

GACUK

Reactions
Ideal weather for my first beginner flight. Hovering at max beginner altitude 30m taking it all in then suddenly seagulls circling quite close and showing interest. Panic set in but quite impressed with my manual RTH flying albeit all directions trying to remember the joystick configurations. Anyway made it back ok but not impressed nearly being taken out by bird strike on my first attempt [emoji107]

Ideal weather for my first beginner flight. Hovering at max beginner altitude 30m taking it all in then suddenly seagulls circling quite close and showing interest. Panic set in but quite impressed with my manual RTH flying albeit all directions trying to remember the joystick configurations. Anyway made it back ok but not impressed nearly being taken out by bird strike on my first attempt [emoji107]

Hi there,

I experienced the same sort of thing, albeit it, that the bird in question was a wood pigeon.

K.

Reactions: Hauptmann and GACUK
I live on the coast so the vermin (sorry - seagulls) are a regular issue. I would say that birds are looking for food or to protect their habitat / young and all that happens at a low height. I tend to fly high on the coast, and a lot of my footage has birds way below me.

Of course this is no guarantee, as they do have minds of their own (evil ones in the case of seagulls) but going up and out of their way is sometimes a good plan. You have to have your eyes on the drone so you can see what is surrounding it.

I keep a sharp eye out for the raptors. They're the ones that will come after you. I scope the area every time I go to fly. Last time I flew (couple of days ago, over a lake) a pair of eagles were in the area. I avoided them as best I could. Never bothered me.

I've flown drones for six years but my first flight with the Mavic Air 2 resulted in it being attacked by hornets. No contest really but I did fly it about a hundred meters away and returned it quickly, to shake them off before landing.

Hornets.jpg

I've flown drones for six years but my first flight with the Mavic Air 2 resulted in it being attacked by hornets. No contest really but I did fly it about a hundred meters away and returned it quickly, to shake them off before landing.

View attachment 110412
Wow, I think I would have been tempted to video the attack!

Welcome to our forum, from Hauptmann in North Texas!

You'll find that DJI drones practically fly themselves. I don't know which drone you have, but be sure to read your manual, and practice "Find My Drone"--a feature not documented in DJI literature. You never know when you may crash and perhaps lose your drone. Don't wait until this happens to learn how to locate it under stress in less than ideal circumstances.

Seagulls are some of the most aggressive birds where our drones are concerned--learned this the hard way! Best defense is to fly straight up. This is something most birds cannot do. Once you're clear of them, you can fly horizontally to wherever you need to be.

We have over 100,000 members worldwide--including many in the UK--to help you learn piloting and photography. Ask for help when you need it. Share your work when you can!

Glad to have you with us!

Wow, I think I would have been tempted to video the attack!

After having to clean *everything* after such an attack, you won't be tempted to video it again.

Q-Tips and WD-40 seemed to work best.

Welcome to our forum, from Hauptmann in North Texas!

You'll find that DJI drones practically fly themselves. I don't know which drone you have, but be sure to read your manual, and practice "Find My Drone"--a feature not documented in DJI literature. You never know when you may crash and perhaps lose your drone. Don't wait until this happens to learn how to locate it under stress in less than ideal circumstances.

Seagulls are some of the most aggressive birds where our drones are concerned--learned this the hard way! Best defense is to fly straight up. This is something most birds cannot do. Once you're clear of them, you can fly horizontally to wherever you need to be.

We have over 100,000 members worldwide--including many in the UK--to help you learn piloting and photography. Ask for help when you need it. Share your work when you can!

Glad to have you with us!

Thank you for your advice. I have the Mavic Air 2 and I've already found out how easy it is to fly. I had it at about a hundred feet when my main phone rang. I was able to chat to someone for about five minutes without doing a thing. I've not been able to do that with any of the others, including a DJI quad and hexacopter. Lots of seagulls around here so thanks for the tip. I've stayed in the DFW Metroplex a few times. Spent some great evenings in Billy Bob's Texas FW.

Have a good one!

Reactions: GACUK and Hauptmann
Thank you for your advice. I have the Mavic Air 2 and I've already found out how easy it is to fly. I had it at about a hundred feet when my main phone rang. I was able to chat to someone for about five minutes without doing a thing. I've not been able to do that with any of the others, including a DJI quad and hexacopter. Lots of seagulls around here so thanks for the tip. I've stayed in the DFW Metroplex a few times. Spent some great evenings in Billy Bob's Texas FW.

Have a good one!
Did you go home with a cowboy hat?

Reactions: GACUK

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78