DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2.7 or 4k?

I read your long comment which is kind of the same things I have been saying on other forum
On same subject.
I think you are right until I see a lab test ......
I remember the best comparation 4 years ago
Somebody took two phantom 1's
And tied them on s800 rig to lift them together and compare 2 gimbal
That's a test !!!!
Same light condition same everything.
It is hard to do, so lab test is needed
Studio condition no flying involved.
I might take the challenge. ..

One must understand about sensor native pixel
If MAVC Have A 4K Sensor then 2.7k would be croped or manipulated
This is why I don't buy the 2.7k ruommer.
Why dji can't just tell there client, "listen that the best thing you can do"
And finish this @$@@*!&&

Preachn' to the choir my friend. And if you decide to do a studio test, let me know how you are going to go about it. I was thinking about just pointing it at a focus chart for starters. That would certainly go a long way in proving sharpness, etc. Please keep me posted.

Reactions: gllkoop
Preachn' to the choir my friend. And if you decide to do a studio test, let me know how you are going to go about it. I was thinking about just pointing it at a focus chart for starters. That would certainly go a long way in proving sharpness, etc. Please keep me posted.
Will do, the weekend .

Couldn't make the studio condition test
I did how ever try to test
4K 24fps vs 2.7k 25 fps
It is not a lab test but I don't see the gain of 2.7k
And that's driving me crazy.
The true is footage looks 10 times better on 4K

All you tubers making the same content again and again
Repeating and copying one of each other.

Will one of you actually worth the sub's and Rais the test ! I would even pay 5$ to get the real answer

Please get this over with
2.7k vs 4K
Which one ???
I will upload my mini test .
And continue to shoot in 4K

4k is better by definition, if not for the mavics sensor and 60mbps cap.

I've been recording 4k for a while now and when crushing the contrast in post I'm sick and tired of seeing the every 8 frame GOP H.264 noise profile spiking. This makes my footage pulsate very clearly when using color boosting polarized filters.

It's all well and good to use Neat Video for $75 to flatten the noise spikes on the I-frames, but when you get a graded 2min piece of footage go from 8min render time to 3hrs it's a pain in the butt. I'm using a GTX 1080 overclocked to a 2.1ghz core speed...

This is the reason I'm going to suggest 2.7k for the mavic specifically. That frame size is correctly tailored to the sensor and 60mbps cap it has.

All tests and footage I've done has been with +1 sharpness, so no on-platform noise reduction was causing any artifacts or anything that could taint my views above.

Thanks.

Reactions: Shawn3D
yes I agree that 2.7k is a little soft compared to 4k (I'm using an OLED 55 4k HDR) but in 4k the flickering is very presenbt and horrible and ruins the entire image and when you see it once....

I'm shooting with 2.7k and sharpness zero....with sharpness at +1 I would expect much more noise?
thank you

I'm shooting with 2.7k and sharpness zero....with sharpness at +1 I would expect much more noise?
thank you
At 0, the onboard graphics attempts to smooth out noise and causes blur bubbles in low light areas. There's a good YouTube video on it by the film poets. On mobile so can't link sorry.

2.7k with +1 -1 -1 dlog allows the sensor to read my better highlight data and more sharp images come through for post production

Regarding bandwidth - doesn't 2.7k only shoot in 45mbps, 4k in 60?

I shoot in 4k, gives me freedom to zoom/crop up to 200% in post and still render in 1080 output without any upscaling

At 0, the onboard graphics attempts to smooth out noise and causes blur bubbles in low light areas. There's a good YouTube video on it by the film poets. On mobile so can't link sorry.

2.7k with +1 -1 -1 dlog allows the sensor to read my better highlight data and more sharp images come through for post production

yes I know that video ecc....but what about flickering at +1, it should be worse.....
thanks

4k 60mps / 2.7k 45mps. Shooting in 4k provides more flexibility in post but increases the compression artefacts significantly.

Another option is to shoot in 2.7k and use the zoom function. As long as you stay in the range x1.1 to x1.3 it works lossless. But you have to think more while flying [emoji4]

I've spent the 99 bucks for NeatVideo that can do a lot good to the Mavics shortcomings. Using the noise profiles specifically made for Mavic by "The Film Poets" reduces the GOP effect noticeably.

Last edited:
Question to you 4k'ers (I am one as well) when you say 4k are shooting 4096 or UHD 3840?

I can't shoot 4k for now due to the flickering issues....I see it everywhere!!! :( :( :(
in 2.7 flickering is a lot better, almost absent

Reactions: Cut.Aussie
I can't shoot 4k for now due to the flickering issues....I see it everywhere!!! :( :( :(
in 2.7 flickering is a lot better, almost absent

I've the same experience. Ince discoverd it you can't stop seeing it. A ND filter can improove it a bit. Together with NeatVideo and shooting in 2.7k the flicker can be reduced significantly.

I've the same experience. Ince discoverd it you can't stop seeing it. A ND filter can improove it a bit. Together with NeatVideo and shooting in 2.7k the flicker can be reduced significantly.

Wondering if you guys have tried shooting with the exposure setting in Manual?

because I received my replacement drone two weeks ago and spent some down time learning about some new ways to shoot and prior I was always 2.7k and decided to try 4k when I got the drone back. But I noticed the flickering issue as well in Auto Exposure but when I switched over to Manual Exposure it seemed to go away. I stopped my test short as the file sizes that 4k was producing was not worth the extra effort to test as it was for non-commercial use.

Well yes. Well no. DJI should highly consider to raise the compression ratio for the Mavic 2 to 100mbit. The 4k of the Mavic 1 is literally not usable.

I agree that while 4K might be desirable it has issues that certainly show up as I preview in my 27" macs 5k screen. Yet for all intents and purposes 2.7k is close to perfect as long as I use the +1 sharpness, anything below causes the so called "water colour" compression artefacts which is really horrible. So I settle on 2.7k which compares well against my GoPro 5 black in 4K

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman