DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2.7 or 4k?

The maximum bit rate of the MAVIC is 60 mbps. It decreases for the lower rez settings so again, I recommend 4K to maximize the rather poor bit rate it has to begin with.
Except bit rate is not the only factor, the bit rate is only meaningful when compared to the number of pixels being compressed per second. In 4k the number of pixels being compressed 'into' the 60mbps is much more than 50% higher than the number of pixels being compressed 'into' the 40mbps at 2.7K.

Think of it like water flowing. Your bit rate is the size of the hose, and your resolution is the amount of water your pushing through it. Your objective is to put the least 'pressure' on the codec, hence minimising the flow through the hose. A wider hose certainly helps, but if you're pushing a much greater volume of water (4k pixels) through it, then you'll still end up with much more spray (codec breaking).

Make sense?

jason

Reactions: Marco Cantieni
Makes sense. Let's hope DJI can raise the compression rate significantly with the Mavic2. This would surely result into a higher CPU load. Together with more sensors in the Mavic2 the CPU load would increase again. Maintaining flight time is key with the Mavic2. All about the Mavic2 is speculative.

Makes sense. Let's hope DJI can raise the compression rate significantly with the Mavic2. This would surely result into a higher CPU load. Together with more sensors in the Mavic2 the CPU load would increase again. Maintaining flight time is key with the Mavic2. All about the Mavic2 is speculative.

I agree that more sensors would increase the CPU load in the hypothetical MP2, but it doesn't necessarily follow that higher video bit rate would also increase load. It would certainly require faster cards to cope with the bandwidth, but the dynamics of compression (i.e. how good of an algorithm is used for debayering, compressing, etc), are very complex with many variables other than bit rate. Generally, the more intense the compression applied, the more CPU/GPU load it entails, which is actually the opposite of what you're suggesting.

Either way, let's hope for a higher bit rate for sure!

-jason

I personally think that is pretty much all what a Mavic2 will offer, except some fancy flight modes that would already be possible to run on all our Mavics1

Have experimented a lot of the last few months between 4k and 2.7k, various sharpness settings etc. Now only shoot in 2.7k with +1,0,0 at 30fps, use filters to keep the shutter speed down at correct exposure and depending on what I'm doing I'll switch between D-cinilike and Normal. I have a photography background (albeit it as a hobbyist) and I really can't really see the benefit of 4k over 2.7k right now. Perhaps when more people use 4k devices as standard but that's a while off yet. Any colour changes I tend to do in post. (Adobe Premiere Elements 15).

I not convinced that all Mavics are leaving the DJI factory with the same camera settings but that's just a hunch, otherwise there wouldn't be such a wide range of sharpness/colour setting recommendations out there. It's not a problem, I quite like experimenting.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15