DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 questions

robinbanks

Reactions
I live in a 31ft 5th wheel. It has a really skookum looking antenna on the roof that I can raise. Can I open a controller and solder the appropriate wire connector inline with my existing antenna(s) and then connect my controller to the antenna?

Also, is there any software solution that can be used to test individual components from inside our drones and verify whether they are operational or not? ie. some way to hook (for example) the downward OA sensor array, or the mainboard, or the gimbal ESC, etc. to a computer and run some program that will either give a pass or fail?

Haha, skookum means like the bees knees, super-dee-dooper... It's got a female N type connector on it, so could I adapt something somehow and connect my controller to it? Alternatively, could I use like an 8dB SMA antenna in place of my existing ones?

Reactions: Yogi053
I live in a 31ft 5th wheel. It has a really skookum looking antenna on the roof that I can raise. Can I open a controller and solder the appropriate wire connector inline with my existing antenna(s) and then connect my controller to the antenna?

Also, is there any software solution that can be used to test individual components from inside our drones and verify whether they are operational or not? ie. some way to hook (for example) the downward OA sensor array, or the mainboard, or the gimbal ESC, etc. to a computer and run some program that will either give a pass or fail?
Your vehicle's antenna is certainly optimized for the wrong frequencies if you want to use it with a DJI drone controller.

Reactions: Thomas B
Your vehicle's antenna is certainly optimized for the wrong frequencies if you want to use it with a DJI drone controller.
It's one of these FYI, before you go poo-pooing on my idea....

Tupavco TP542 Panel WiFi Antenna - 2.4GHz/5GHz-5.8GHz Range - 13dBi - Dual Band/Multi Band - Outdoor - Directional - Wireless Antenna (2400-2500/5150-5850MHz) with Female N type Connector​

If it's tuned for both WiFi bands, then it could possibly work. However the specs show it to be directional. Is it easy enough to move so that it's always pointed towards the AC?

Reactions: dawgpilot
Haha, skookum means like the bees knees, super-dee-dooper... It's got a female N type connector on it, so could I adapt something somehow and connect my controller to it? Alternatively, could I use like an 8dB SMA antenna in place of my existing ones?
Thanks for that definition of Skookum.

I reckon going with your description of your antennae that you would be able to 'see' your drone/ac.
Also, if you can afford a 5th wheel as you describe, then I guess you may have it on a turntable to follow the ac, or it may well be omidirectional. Whatever, if it works, what a great addition. Can picture you sitting back in comfort as you fly your ac.

Well I have ordered the requisite cable/connector from Amazon, now I just have to wait for it to get here :)

And while it is directional and may not be mounted on a turntable, it is set up in such a way that changing the directionality would not be an issue at all, in fact I'm looking into some powered servos so that I can basically add PTZ functionality to it

Reactions: Yogi053
VLOS.

Please disregard if there is a pair of giant binoculars mounted up next to the antenna on the RV. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman