DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 WEEKS OLD AIR 2S SWOLLEN BATTERY

keanhls

Reactions
I discovered a small bulge on the label with two of my three batteries yesterday while cleaning my drone and its batteries. I'm shocked to find that batteries #2 and #3 are already swollen. I just recently purchased my Air 2s FMC last December 12, and all of my batteries are only at 6 cycles.

Please watch the following video

I don't know what causes it, but as a seasoned drone pilot who previously flew the Mini 2 before upgrading to the Air 2s this year, I am also aware of how to care for a DJI battery. I don't believe it is likely that I treated these batteries poorly from the time I purchased them. These batteries are not overcharged nor over discharge. Even if I store them at between 40 and 60 percent, I don't even immediately recharge them after a flight; instead, I wait at least 15 to 30 minutes for my batteries to cool down.

It seems this is not normal for an almost new batteries with just low cycle. Is there a possibility that I may get these batteries replaced?

Reactions: Jam0ne
Get onto DJI support, these (if defective) will easily be replaced under warranty * see below *.

last December 12

. . . as in 2022, approx 2-1/2 weeks or so ago ?
If so, no problems with warranty, they are covered for 6 months officially.

If the previous Dec 2021, then DJI might knock a claim back, but more likely with 6 charges in a little over a year they might do replacement as goodwill.

You battery knowledge is good, but these really do look after themselves pretty well.
The only real thing a pilot has to do is charge them back to about 55% - 60% (3rd led blinking) if you've flown them down to say less than 25%, and not going to recharge for next flight in the coming week or so, otherwise top off that little bit.
And just leave unused full charge batts after flight to auto discharge, or fly them down to about that half charge level and leave them for next flight charging.

Although the waiting to recharge after flight is usually not an issue with the way the BMS and chargers work, it is still good practice to just charge later at home when one is flown down to whatever, or allowed to cool somewhat in the field.

Let us know how you get on with DJI, worth a shot for sure even if over the year old.

please be extremely cautions with ANY deformed battery. it is indicative of internal heating which is completely abnormal and is likely to lead to a thermal failure at some point. Isolate the affected batteries and keep them away from other fuels in the event of failure.

The batteries are perfectly normal. I have six, from one year yo two months old. They all look exactly like this.

I discovered a small bulge on the label with two of my three batteries yesterday while cleaning my drone and its batteries. I'm shocked to find that batteries #2 and #3 are already swollen. I just recently purchased my Air 2s FMC last December 12, and all of my batteries are only at 6 cycles.

Please watch the following video

I don't know what causes it, but as a seasoned drone pilot who previously flew the Mini 2 before upgrading to the Air 2s this year, I am also aware of how to care for a DJI battery. I don't believe it is likely that I treated these batteries poorly from the time I purchased them. These batteries are not overcharged nor over discharge. Even if I store them at between 40 and 60 percent, I don't even immediately recharge them after a flight; instead, I wait at least 15 to 30 minutes for my batteries to cool down.

It seems this is not normal for an almost new batteries with just low cycle. Is there a possibility that I may get these batteries replaced?
According to post four, that may be normal for your batteries. I place mine (M2Z) flat down a a hard surface, and if you can spin it, it's starting to swell.

Let me start off by saying I had a Air 2S crash because of a swollen battery. I actually had DJI replace the drone and three batteries as a result of the crash and swollen batteries.

Let me ask whether you flew in hot weather? Also, did you fly all three batteries one after another? I am developing a theory that the Air 2S batteries overheat when used in hot weather one after another. I now monitor my batteries using the battery info in the DJI Fly app and, when I land I IMMEDIATELY remove the battery. Additionally, I let the Air 2S cool down a bit before fly the 2nd or 3rd flight.

DJI replaced 2 of my swollen batteries over 1 year after purchase. They were much worse than that, mine barely stayed attached to the drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4