DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

20,000 feet! Whaaaaaat!?

I saw the headline 20,000 feet and thought gee this will be interesting - I wanna see this. Alas the discussion is about distance not height. :(

Sounds like mine too Thumbswayup
I am going for a 62,000' drive to collect my refurb from DJI. Nice day for it. Should have nice views along the way where the road climbs over a 0.0568 mile hill. Back Soon :D

Reactions: Sal_recon26
Haha, I was about to post asking how he hit 20k feet and like the previous poster, thought it was height, not distance..

anyway,, nice....

I still haven't been able to get my Mavic to fly over 5,000ft without a complete disconnect. Even with range extenders... I tried launching it over Old Hickory Lake in Tennessee where range of sight is multiple miles, there's not a signal irritant to be found, and still no luck.

Reactions: allen deckard
Seems like we need range to get the shots without being bothered by BS.

"I understand 20K out is not as bad as high altitude flying, but half of you are talking about how cool it would be to fly that high."

We are not allowed to TALK about how cool it would be to fly that high? Who's doing it? Who cares if we are talking about how cool it would be. It would be cool as ****, doesn't mean I'm gonna do it cuz that would be stupid

From FAA.GOV
"From 1990 to 2013, there were 62 civil aircraft in USA either destroyed or damaged beyond repair due to wildlife strikes." Look, the point I'm trying to make is you are absolutely incorrect in asserting planes are tested for bird strikes, thus making drones safe for planes.

A. Virtually any bird strike on smaller craft is know to almost certainly end badly, possibly fatally.
B. Most drones weigh more than the average bird.

My bottom line is the more yahoos are out flying their drones where they can't see or hear other aircraft, the more dangerous the skies are for the real pilots out there. Thus, the more heavily regulated UAV operations will come.

Also your "walking down the street" analogy is a logical fallacy called "false equivalence" (a situation where there is a logical and apparent equivalence, but when in fact there is none.) and proves nothing.

Reactions: Grey Wolf
Please take time and really read All of Guideline 15.

15. The Forum Owners strongly encourage users to obey all federal and local laws and regulations when flying. It is a helpful service to the community when members guide others in understanding and following the regulations. Meanwhile, fully understanding all international rules and regulations is complex and it is not the responsibility of the forum owners, moderators or community members to police and enforce these rules and regulations. Any violation of another community rule, even if in the context of attempting to help enforce flying laws and regulations, is prohibited.

Last edited by a moderator:
All UAV operators should be following the regs/rules/guidelines for the area you live in. Always put safety first, you are in control of an aircraft, be responsible.

That said, as rule #15 states, fully understanding all international rules and regulations is complex and it is not the responsibility of the forum owners, moderators or community members to police and enforce these rules and regulations. I have left the main replies from Grey Wolf & Javioul as they make good points. I cleaned up the rest of the off topic post. The first guy/gal who causes an accident will be made an example of, and rightfully so. Don't let it be you we all read about. Use your head, be responsible and fly safely.

So to recap, be safe, on topic post only.
Carry on.

All UAV operators should be following the regs/rules/guidelines for the area you live in. Always put safety first, you are in control of an aircraft, be responsible.

That said, as rule #15 states, fully understanding all international rules and regulations is complex and it is not the responsibility of the forum owners, moderators or community members to police and enforce these rules and regulations. I have left the main replies from Grey Wolf & Javioul as they make good points. I cleaned up the rest of the off topic post. The first guy/gal who causes an accident will be made an example of, and rightfully so. Don't let it be you we all read about. Use your head, be responsible and fly safely.

So to recap, be safe, on topic post only.
Carry on.
Thanks for the guidance TO. I'm glad you guys handle these situations so well. Maybe I have learned something from this, thank you.

Reactions: LuvMyTJ
Told you guys I would do It!

Watch "MAVIC PRO 20,000 FEET! will it make it?" on YouTube

The nearby airport your Mavic warned you about is probably a private grass strip which would show up on apps like Airmap (at airmap.io). It's free, and it shows ALL airports, parks, schools and other flight-restricted locations. Even gives phone numbers you can call for permission to fly in those restricted locations. Check it out!!

This is accurate information and important to know. You CAN fly near these locations provided that there are no FAA restrictions; however you cannot launch, land, or operate from the listed locations. You simply need to launch, operate, and land from a place that is NOT a national park or other non-drone location. One of the California beaches that are not part of a National Park should work.

Spot on, CyberNate. FAA manages the air, other (local/national) authorities manage the ground. These other entities can tell you whether or not you can take off and land from specific locations, but the FAA will provide guidance whether you can fly over that ground. However, the FAA does have special flight rules over many national parks and monuments, so it's important to check the sectionals. The airspace over the Grand Canyon is FAA restricted airspace, hence you can definitely get a whopping fine for flying there regardless of where you launched from. And even though the FAA manages the airspace, you may be fined by the locals for actions you take with your drone, such as flying low and chasing/scaring wildlife in a park. You almost have to be a lawyer to fly in the vicinity of parks.

I didn't expect me to start such a constructive thread. This is some good stuff!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure