DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2018 FAA Reauthorization - Not Good

Its just like everything else rules and laws only apply to law abbiding citizens, all the rules and laws mean nothing to the lawbreakers. Gessh what do people not understand about this. Making more laws and rules will only make law breakers out of honest people.

So are you proposing that all laws be abolished?

Letter sent back to me. Interesting. (probably the same letter going out to all who contacted her)
Dear Dave :

Thank you for writing to share your thoughts regarding the Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA’s) regulation of drones. I appreciate hearing from you, and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

In recent years, drones have emerged as a transformative new technology that are present in our communities in a way that manned aircrafts never could be. Drones create new opportunities for commerce, recreation, and business efficiency, but also new challenges for safety, privacy, and security.

I understand you support Section 336 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 (Public Law 112-95 ), which prevents FAA regulation of certain aircraft operations by instituting a Special Rule for Model Aircraft . Under this provision, recreational drone users may operate under the rules of the Academy of Model Aeronautics or any other “community based organization,” whether or not the user is a member of that association, and not under rules of the FAA .

One effect of Section 336 is to draw a bright line between commercial and recreational operations. While there are important differences between these types of operation, there are also circumstances where generally applicable rules are appropriate. In my view, it is important to ensure that FAA will have the authority it needs to maintain the safety of the national airspace, including, for example, through generally applicable registration requirements and remote identification standards. At the same time, I recognize the interest of some to continue safely operating model aircraft s as a hobby without interruption.

Please know I have made careful note of your views regarding the Special Rule for Model Aircraft and I will be sure to keep them in mind should related legislation be considered by the Senate.

Once again, thank you for writing. Should you have any other questions or comments, please call my Washington , D.C. , office at (202) 224-3841 or visit my website at feinstein .senate.gov . You can also follow me online at YouTube , Facebook , and Twitter , and you can sign up for my email newsletter at feinstein.senate.gov/newsletter .

Best regards.

Sincerely yours,

Dianne Feinstein

United States Senator
And we all know she's the biggest PIN HEAD of all such an idiot

So are you proposing that all laws be abolished?
No abosoultely not, laws or rules are necessary to keep us safe , but sometimes they go over board. They take one bit of freedom at a time and eventually, they get them all and we as a recreational hobbyist can no longer buy,own or fly a drone unless we have a comercial airline pilots license . I think the rules we have now are enough, maybe a general knowledge test is ok as long as its reasonable .

Its just like everything else rules and laws only apply to law abbiding citizens, all the rules and laws mean nothing to the lawbreakers. Gessh what do people not understand about this. Making more laws and rules will only make law breakers out of honest people.

Wow, there are so many things wrong with that broad generalization that I hardly know where to begin.

I believe strongly in personal honor. Personal honor is doing the right thing even when nobody is looking. Personal honor is sadly lacking in today's society. If everyone behaved with a good degree of personal honor than those morons that fly their drones near an emergency situation (brush fire, etc.) wouldn't do it in the first place. IGNORANCE of laws, rules and regulations is not an excuse. With personal honor comes personal responsibility. When someone buys a drone that is capable of flying hundreds of feet into the air, it is their responsibility to KNOW as much as they can about the laws, rules and regulations and also their responsibility to respect them.

If every drone pilot behaved with personal honor then nobody would be flying near emergency situations or near manned aircraft. Because there are apparently a number of drone pilots that lack personal honor it has forced lawmakers and the FAA to get tough on drone pilots. Once a few morons get tagged with a $20,000 fine I'm pretty confident it will have a positive impact on the rate of moronic incidents.

SOMETHING had to be done. Anyone that was paying any degree of attention saw it coming.

Mark

Last edited:
I think the rules we have now are enough...

You mean the rules we HAD. HR 302 is now the law of the land (Trump signed it yesterday).

Rules.... prior to HR 302 that's basically all hobbyist drone pilots had to govern them, CBO rules. With HR 302 becoming law, now hobbyist drone pilots are governed by the law. BIG difference as far as enforcement is concerned. The FAA and law enforcement finally have some teeth to go with those rules.

Mark

Last edited:
No abosoultely not, laws or rules are necessary to keep us safe , but sometimes they go over board. They take one bit of freedom at a time and eventually, they get them all and we as a recreational hobbyist can no longer buy,own or fly a drone unless we have a comercial airline pilots license . I think the rules we have now are enough, maybe a general knowledge test is ok as long as its reasonable .

The rules we have now? So basically none.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
The rules we have now? So basically none.

I am sure you (sar104) are aware of the Oct 5 changes, but for those that may have missed it... on FAA.gov summary of 2018 rule lists:

• Fly for hobby or recreation only
  • Register your model aircraft
  • Fly within visual line-of-sight
  • Follow community-based safety guidelines and fly within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization
  • Fly a drone under 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization
  • Never fly near other aircraft
  • Never fly near emergency response efforts
For some reason they left off Flying in other than Class G airspace now requires ATC authorization - not just notification.

I am sure you (sar104) are aware of the Oct 5 changes, but for those that may have missed it... on FAA.gov summary of 2018 rule lists:

• Fly for hobby or recreation only
  • Register your model aircraft
  • Fly within visual line-of-sight
  • Follow community-based safety guidelines and fly within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization
  • Fly a drone under 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization
  • Never fly near other aircraft
  • Never fly near emergency response efforts
For some reason they left off Flying in other than Class G airspace now requires ATC authorization - not just notification.

None of those new rules are yet incorporated into 14 CFR, which is probably why they are not mentioned on the FAA website.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98