DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2019-01-18 Wildwood Sunset

DarthSLR

Reactions
We finally got a break from the rains, and while the actual mountain roads are closed due to the mudslides, I rushed into my favourite Wildwood park to burn off a couple of batteries.

Setup

In case anybody is interested:
Mavic 2 Pro, Case - CaseClub.com, iPad Pro 12.9", 4th gen, Mavmount, landing pad came with Fly-More bundle.

IMG_2396-X4.jpg

Perfect Precision Landing
To be honest, the next one 20 minutes later (it got darker) was far from perfect, had to abort and land manually.
But this one was nailed down 100%.

Before Sunset

PANO_0246-4K.jpg

Sunset Timelapse (edited)

After Sunset

DJI_0281-X4.jpg

DJI_0286-X4.jpg

PANO_0254-4K.jpg

Last Pano

For some reason, PS did not want to stitch this image. It took me nearly two hours until I gave up and cut it short, missing about 20% of the image.

PANO_0290-4K.jpg

Full session (Smugmug gallery)

2019-01-18 Wildwood Sunset - Nikolai Sklobovsky

We finally got a break from the rains, and while the actual mountain roads are closed due to the mudslides, I rushed into my favourite Wildwood park to burn off a couple of batteries.

Setup

Mavic 2 Pro, Case - CaseClub.com, iPad Pro 12.9", 4th gen, Mavmount, landing pad came with Fly-More bundle.

IMG_2396-X4.jpg

To be honest, the next one 20 minutes later (it got darker) was far from perfect, had to abort and land manually.

Before Sunset

PANO_0246-4K.jpg

After Sunset

DJI_0281-X4.jpg

DJI_0286-X4.jpg

PANO_0254-4K.jpg

Last Pano

For some reason, PS did not want to stitch this image. It took me nearly two hours until I gave up and cut it short, missing about 20% of the image.

PANO_0290-4K.jpg

Nice footage![emoji1474][emoji16]

Reactions: DarthSLR

Setup

IMG_2396-X4.jpg

Before Sunset

PANO_0246-4K.jpg

After Sunset

DJI_0281-X4.jpg

DJI_0286-X4.jpg

PANO_0254-4K.jpg

Last Pano

PANO_0290-4K.jpg

I have a Mavic Pro Platinum and have a landing pad for it. How do I use the landing pad feature?

I have a Mavic Pro Platinum and have a landing pad for it. How do I use the landing pad feature?
I think what you're referring to is called precision landing. If I recall correctly, for MPP it's an option in DJI GO4 during each takeoff, you need to check that box after pressing takeoff button but before sliding the confirmation, and later execute RTH procedure. Also, in MPP it requires 30 ft of an unobstructed vertical space for it to acquire enough data.
With M2P it's a bit simpler, the whole thing is automatic. If it can execute precision landing, it will, otherwise it won't. At any rate, you don't have any control over that, the only thing you CAN do is to abort the automated landing and land manually.
HTH

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
I think what you're referring to is called precision landing. If I recall correctly, for MPP it's an option in DJI GO4 during each takeoff, you need to check that box after pressing takeoff button but before sliding the confirmation, and later execute RTH procedure. Also, in MPP it requires 30 ft of an unobstructed vertical space for it to acquire enough data.
With M2P it's a bit simpler, the whole thing is automatic. If it can execute precision landing, it will, otherwise it won't. At any rate, you don't have any control over that, the only thing you CAN do is to abort the automated landing and land manually.
HTH

Ok, thank you!

HTH

Interesting. I have a pro but thinking about getting a MP 2. I have been trying to download a manual but unable to locate it on dji. So if it does a rth and the landing isn’t going well , will it hover and wait for you to take over or what happens next if you do nothing on a rth
Thank you for your time

Interesting. I have a pro but thinking about getting a MP 2. I have been trying to download a manual but unable to locate it on dji. So if it does a rth and the landing isn’t going well , will it hover and wait for you to take over or what happens next if you do nothing on a rth
Thank you for your time
I have had a VERY mixed set of results with the automated landing.
Sometimes it executes it within a couple of inches, sometimes is barely within the landing pad, sometimes if so much off and about to land in some very unpleasant place (like a roof or an abyss) that I have to interfere and take the manual control.
I think at this point SpaceX has a better RTH/landing algorithm than DJI.

I have had a VERY mixed set of results with the automated landing.
Sometimes it executes it within a couple of inches, sometimes is barely within the landing pad, sometimes if so much off and about to land in some very unpleasant place (like a roof or an abyss) that I have to interfere and take the manual control.
I think at this point SpaceX has a better RTH/landing algorithm than DJI.
I agree with you, sometimes. I repair Mavic Pro's, so I'm always testing the drone's features and this is one that tends to baffle me. Most of my drones will execute this feature exceptionally well (within inches of the EXACT take-off point) IF they have had IMU & compass calibrations. But some of them absolutely refuse to land even close, sometimes 20 yards away!? I have found that a factory reset in Assistant 2 will fix this in 95% of the drones I've had issues with. But some, just won't, no matter what. Reading the manual (Version 2) it says:
"Precision Landing
The Mavic Pro automatically scans and attempts to match the terrain features underneath during Return to
Home. When current terrain matches home point terrain, the Mavic will start landing immediately to achieve
precision landing. The DJI GO 4 app will show a terrain feature mismatch prompt if matching fails.
Precision Landing performance is subject to the following conditions:
a. Home point is recorded upon take off, and cannot not be refreshed during flight.
b. Aircraft must take off vertically. Take off altitude must be greater than 10 meters.
c. Home point terrain features remain largely unchanged.
d. Home point terrain with no distinctive features will affect the performance.
e. Lighting conditions cannot be too light nor too dark.
The following actions are available during landing:
a. Pull throttle down to accelerate landing.
b. Moving the control sticks in any other direction will stop Precision Landing. The Mavic Pro
will descend vertically and Landing Protection will remain active."

Although I have met ALL of these parameters, some drones with V4.500 firmware, won't even get close to the landing pad.
If anyone has any insight on how to fix this, PLEASE let me know asap. I cannot sell drones that won't precision land. :-(

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3