DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

24p vs 30p on a 24p timeline vs 30p at 80%????????

ssteve

Reactions
New owner of a M2P. 4K/24p seems to have some jitter issues. 30p solves this but doesn’t have the same look and feel as 24 frames. If I run 30p at 80%it looks great, but when there’s cars and such it doesn’t look that natural. 30p on a 24p timeline also seems to look good but I have heard it will cause random issues cause the frame rates are inconsistent.

Wondering how you guys are handling your frame rates?

New owner of a M2P. 4K/24p seems to have some jitter issues. 30p solves this but doesn’t have the same look and feel as 24 frames. If I run 30p at 80%it looks great, but when there’s cars and such it doesn’t look that natural. 30p on a 24p timeline also seems to look good but I have heard it will cause random issues cause the frame rates are inconsistent.

Wondering how you guys are handling your frame rates?

Welcome to my life. Yes 30FPS on a 24FPS timeline works best. If using adobe remember to “interpret footage.” Should take care of the inconsistency issues you mention.

Out of interest, Does Mavic 2 do 4096 at 30fps?

I always switch down to 3840 on my M1P so I can get 30fps

I'm still new to video and learning myself, but I fixed some of my early jitter issues with the proper shutter speed (and slowing down my camera movements). Are you using the 180-degree shutter angle rule? shutter = double frame rate, example 30fps should be shot at 1/60 shutter speed while using aperture, iso, and ND filters to get the right exposure…

I'm still new to video and learning myself, but I fixed some of my early jitter issues with the proper shutter speed (and slowing down my camera movements). Are you using the 180-degree shutter angle rule? shutter = double frame rate, example 30fps should be shot at 1/60 shutter speed while using aperture, iso, and ND filters to get the right exposure…
Yeah I am. Slowing things down helps but you can’t really do that if your subject is moving quickly.. Cars, running etc.

Reactions: Bahnfiya
Welcome to my life. Yes 30FPS on a 24FPS timeline works best. If using adobe remember to “interpret footage.” Should take care of the inconsistency issues you mention.

I am just using LumaFusion on a new iPad Pro. Not sure if it has that or not. Currently I am just putting it on a 24p timeline and it seems to be doing ok but I really need to test it out some more.

How do you do this in Adobe?

Right click on your media when its in the media bin or whatever its called. Not yet in your time line but inside of PP or AE. Then go to modify interpret footage. Under frame rate change it to 23.98. Then drag the footage into the timeline. This should make your clip longer then it was originally. You are playing back footage at 24 frames per second but keeping the original # of frames. So it must be longer.

Not doing this will just discard 6 frames per second to conform to the timeline. Pointless

I put together a test file to show you guys the difference. Below is the unedited original clip that was shot in 30FPS and rendered on a 30FPS timeline. Its not bad but there are a couple places where I pan a little faster than Id like. Probably could have gotten away with fixing this other ways but you'll get the point.

Then here is the exact same clip with the same number of frames just played back on a 24fps timeline

You can press play on both videos to watch them at the same time to see the difference

Reactions: jacquespa
A 30FPS video played back at 30 FPS at 80% speed requires the editor to make additional "inbetween" frames that look terrible. With this method there's nothing lost and nothing that must be created that wasn't there before. This is a classic frame rate vs playback speed example

I am just using LumaFusion on a new iPad Pro. Not sure if it has that or not. Currently I am just putting it on a 24p timeline and it seems to be doing ok but I really need to test it out some more.

See if the duration of your clip gets longer when you put it on the 24 FOS timeline.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure