DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 days in Torrey Pines, La Jolla, California with the Mavic 2 Pro

macfawlty

Reactions
I went out to San Diego for business and stayed a couple extra days to get in a lot of flying. This was really a 'make-up' flying vacation as the P3 4k I brought to Torrey Pines last year had a dead controller and I didn't get to fly at all. That was a pisser. I think I more than made up for it. I launched from the end of the big dirt parking lot extending from the Gliderport above Black's Beach. I was able to fly about 2 miles from the home point, which was enough to get some good scenes.

Reactions: W2EJ
Some interesting people and landform shots there. Would you restructure it a little to tell a story? Using the film elements you have there? Maybe alter the time balance between the people and scenery shots. And have just enough scenery shots to show the different land forms without being to repetitive? Long enough to appreciate the details and textures but without overdoing it.
Amazing rock textures. Interesting "people exploring" ones. Good contrast with "green" and "brown" sections.

Just some thoughts as I also face the challenge of developing a visual story from a number of clips I have taken. I want to present short films (30 secs to 3 mins) to friends and family from my videos of the last 12 months flying without losing their interest or attention.

Some interesting people and landform shots there. Would you restructure it a little to tell a story? Using the film elements you have there? Maybe alter the time balance between the people and scenery shots. And have just enough scenery shots to show the different land forms without being to repetitive? Long enough to appreciate the details and textures but without overdoing it.
Amazing rock textures. Interesting "people exploring" ones. Good contrast with "green" and "brown" sections.

Just some thoughts as I also face the challenge of developing a visual story from a number of clips I have taken. I want to present short films (30 secs to 3 mins) to friends and family from my videos of the last 12 months flying without losing their interest or attention.

Thanks for the suggestions. Truthfully, I wasn’t thinking so much about making a tidy short story. I just wanted to put most of the good clips and scenes I shot into one video. I had so much footage. I exported about 60 or so clips in 20 second bites.

For the 3 days in Torrey Pines, I was practicing long, cinematic clips, smooth flight paths and a handful of different moves, capturing as much footage as possible of this beautiful location. Cutting everything short for a tidy little video was counter to my purpose, at least for this version.

However, your comments are right on the money. I haven’t edited much of my footage since I started flying 3 years ago. I like flying a lot more than editing. I’m gonna think on ways to edit this footage into something completely different. A livelier soundtrack would yield a different video.

During the flying season, I’m trying to capture as much footage as possible. Approaching the fall color season in the mid-Atlantic area, Plenty of time over the winter for editing.

Excellent flying and beautiful shots, I esp. like the first waves & beach shots.

Agree with Bb to edit a bit more tightly. I often start with a long version, for myself and anyone who was with me, but don't often show that to general audiences (like my family) or post online. I would think anyone who loves that area would appreciate all of your shots, but for general audiences I'd cut it down.

I went out to San Diego for business and stayed a couple extra days to get in a lot of flying. This was really a 'make-up' flying vacation as the P3 4k I brought to Torrey Pines last year had a dead controller and I didn't get to fly at all. That was a pisser. I think I more than made up for it. I launched from the end of the big dirt parking lot extending from the Gliderport above Black's Beach. I was able to fly about 2 miles from the home point, which was enough to get some good scenes.

Fyi , Torrey Pines is a State Reserve. No drones allowed. Including the beach. I'm not sure if the glider port/golf course parking lot you took off from is within it's boundaries. Just a heads-up. Also, lots of Park Rangers around patrolling due to its popularity with hikers and tourists.

Fyi , Torrey Pines is a State Reserve. No drones allowed. Including the beach. I'm not sure if the glider port/golf course parking lot you took off from is within it's boundaries. Just a heads-up. Also, lots of Park Rangers around patrolling due to its popularity with hikers and tourists.

The big dirt parking area north of the Gliderport is not in the Torrey Pines State Reserve (which is on the other side of Torrey Pines Golf Course).

Reactions: CarlsbadAL
Excellent flying and beautiful shots, I esp. like the first waves & beach shots.

Agree with Bb to edit a bit more tightly. I often start with a long version, for myself and anyone who was with me, but don't often show that to general audiences (like my family) or post online. I would think anyone who loves that area would appreciate all of your shots, but for general audiences I'd cut it down.

Well, that’s the thing. I edit primarily for my own purposes. I film a lot, but don’t post many edits. I do like seeing others videos.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mupps64