DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

336 to 107, re-register drone?

wildlifr

Reactions
Can anyone here help me out with this registration question? If I've registered my drone as a recreational user, but then get a 107 license, do I have to re-register or change the registration with the FAA?

Yes - as a hobbyist you basically register yourself. Under commercial operations you register each aircraft.

Yes - as a hobbyist you basically register yourself. Under commercial operations you register each aircraft.
I understand that general concept, but I'm trying to figure out if I need to start over as if it was a new drone. I wouldn't think I'd have to because technically, even though I registered to fly as a hobbyist, the drone itself has also been registered with it's make, model and serial #. And this is the only drone I have registered, so it's not like I got out of a $5.00 charge just because I registered as a hobbyist. I've emailed the FAA to ask this same question, but my one other experience with contacting them tells me a reply might not be quick, if at all.

I understand that general concept, but I'm trying to figure out if I need to start over as if it was a new drone. I wouldn't think I'd have to because technically, even though I registered to fly as a hobbyist, the drone itself has also been registered with it's make, model and serial #. And this is the only drone I have registered, so it's not like I got out of a $5.00 charge just because I registered as a hobbyist. I've emailed the FAA to ask this same question, but my one other experience with contacting them tells me a reply might not be quick, if at all.
Hobbyist registration ($5) doesn’t ask for or require ANY details about a drone. No make/model, ser # etc. it only asks for your info thus you are registering yourself, not the aircraft.
Perhaps you registered on one of the FAA spoof sites?

Reactions: dawgpilot
Hobbyist registration ($5) doesn’t ask for or require ANY details about a drone. No make/model, ser # etc. it only asks for your info thus you are registering yourself, not the aircraft.
Perhaps you registered on one of the FAA spoof sites?
No, it was definitely the official sight. I just checked and apparently, I accidentally registered as a 107 user. I guess that's why I remembered inputting all of my drone info. So maybe my original question is irrelevant. I'm a little surprised that a person is allowed to register a 107 registration without proof of passing the test. Well, hopefully I'll actually have my license next week. Thanks for the help.

I understand that general concept, but I'm trying to figure out if I need to start over as if it was a new drone.
You need to start over and register your drone on the 107 dashboard option if you're going to fly your drone under 107.

I have a related question.

I registered an earlier drone, (Simtoo, don't get me started on that mess....), as hobbyist and got a number.
I got my Mavic and put my hobbyist number on it.
I then passed 107 and registered my Mavic under 107.
I replaced the hobbyist number with the 107 number on the Mavic.
(Both numbers are available on my FAA dashboard.)

I fly BOTH as 107 and hobbyist.

Which number needs to be on the drone, and, which number do I give the airport tower when I notify that I am flying as a hobbyist.

Currently I only have my 107 number on my drone and that is the number that I give the tower.

Does anyone know if this is the legal approach?

Thanks folks!

Peter T

My understanding is that you can choose to fly either under section 336 or part 107, so you would provide the information relevant to your intended flight. Once you choose, you cannot switch to different rules during that flight.

I don't know the legality of putting both numbers on the drone, but you certainly need to have the right numbers applied for the current flight.

That's my understanding, at least, and may not be correct...

Hello, how are you doing ?
I have the same doubt about registration, so did you get a response from FAA ? I don’t know if I have to keep the recreational number and the commercial number stickers on the drones that I have. I got my certification last month and still waiting for the card. I know before each flight we can choose a recreational or part 107, so I guess I have to keep both numbers ?
I will appreciate any advice! Thank you and have a good day.

Hello, how are you doing ?
I have the same doubt about registration, so did you get a response from FAA ? I don’t know if I have to keep the recreational number and the commercial number stickers on the drones that I have. I got my certification last month and still waiting for the card. I know before each flight we can choose a recreational or part 107, so I guess I have to keep both numbers ?
I will appreciate any advice! Thank you and have a good day.
You just need the 107 number on the drone. Do not display two different registration numbers on it.

You can still choose to conduct a flight under the recreational rules even if the drone has a 107 registration number.

Reactions: edgardcafe
You just need the 107 number on the drone. Do not display two different registration numbers on it.

You can still choose to conduct a flight under the recreational rules even if the drone has a 107 registration number.

Thank you so much !! You clarified my doubts!
I was waiting for my 107 certificate number before register and I got it yesterday, so today I’ll register all my drones under part 107. I guess in a couple days I will get my 107 card by mail.
Have a great day and flight safe.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000