DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

360 camera. VR or "Hyperframe"

SpyderSkeets

Reactions
Here are two videos from my 360 camera rig. The first one is VR where the viewer can control the view by moving you phone to the direction you want to see, or using your finger or mouse to change the direction. (If it doesnt appear as 360, your browser may not support 360)

The second one is the same footage but is called "Hyperframe" you can't control the view but it has some (I think) some pretty cool effects throughout the video.

Don't forget to rotate your camera for better, full screen view!

Please let me know what one you like better. Thanks!

VR:

Hyperframe:

Last edited:
Reactions: Bradders
Both are pretty darned cool! I prefer the conventional 360 camera view for taking a nice tour around the area. The hyperframe view might be more fun after ingesting the proper mushrooms or something similar!

Those are nice! Care to share info about the setup, mount and camera? A+ production!

I've got both versions of the Samsung Gear 360 (old and 2017 versions), but I just ponied up for the Insta360 One X on pre-order. I really love taking 360 video and photos when we travel and I think they produce some of the best feelings of revisiting a place you can get, but the Gear 360s just leave a lot to be desired when it comes to dealing with difficult scenes. They're great for ease of use, but just fall flat in low light, high dynamic range, etc. That, and they're just 4K video... I really think that the 5K+ cameras are the way to go for 360 video when you're trying to spread that much information over a 360 degree area. I'll try to revisit this thread and post up some sample footage once I get it in. I too would like to see your "underneath" mounting solution. I've got a mount that goes on top of my Mavic 2 Pro, but I'd prefer the bottom side if it was available.

I just got one of these-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CW4C2HU?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

it can shoot 5.7K post processed, or 4K live and stitched in camera: my plan is to post-process images with it for 3D design of buildings, natural scenery and whatnot. Still looking for a good belly mount for it on my drone- curious how compass will be affected too...

I bought that one with high hopes, but was disappointed with it and returned it. Maybe you'll have better luck than me

I bought that one with high hopes, but was disappointed with it and returned it. Maybe you'll have better luck than me

What happened? Now you got me worried... that Garmin looks nice, expensive, but really nice.

Really would love to know what your belly mount is. Please?

What happened? Now you got me worried... that Garmin looks nice, expensive, but really nice.

Really would love to know what your belly mount is. Please?

The stabilization just wasnt as good as I was hoping, especially with video from a shaky drone. Another thing is, the lenses are not replaceable so if one gets cracked or chipped, you're throwing out the whole thing. It is also not a Action Camera so it isn't waterproof of shock proof. Yes, the Garmin is pretty expensive (2x the Yi) but I am very impressed with it. All the stabilization that you see in the video is all electronic and no gimbal...pretty darn good if you ask me.
For mounting, I am simply using a small circular action camera mount that is mounted on the drone body right behind the drone's camera. The 360 camera is attached to that upside down, but the video rights itself in post production. I tr

The stabilization just wasnt as good as I was hoping, especially with video from a shaky drone. Another thing is, the lenses are not replaceable so if one gets cracked or chipped, you're throwing out the whole thing. It is also not a Action Camera so it isn't waterproof of shock proof. Yes, the Garmin is pretty expensive (2x the Yi) but I am very impressed with it. All the stabilization that you see in the video is all electronic and no gimbal...pretty darn good if you ask me.
For mounting, I am simply using a small circular action camera mount that is mounted on the drone body right behind the drone's camera. The 360 camera is attached to that upside down, but the video rights itself in post production. I tr

Not having an “action drone” that’s waterproof, my camera doesn’t really need to be either- but good point about the lens, definitely exposed! Didnt think of sticking a pad under it, have you seen any drone sensor issues with it?

I am going to have to admit, exposure setting is an issue with the Yi, too, it doesnt meter ar well as I’d like. I havent flown it yet, so that will be the test for it. Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
The Yi was on my list, but I was a little scared off by the reports on the software side of things. I've got a bud with the older Insta360 and it seems nice, so I figured I'd take a chance on the new one. I think the stabilization on the Insta360’s with the latest software looks pretty good, but I just won’t know for sure until it arrives. This fella here did a pretty nice review of it, but it looks like another DJI-mode product...aka features that will be there “eventually”, aren’t going to be ready out of the gate.

I did try the older Gear360 on the Mavic Air, it's on the verge of being to heavy.
The Mavic might be more up to it. Alternatively a lighter 360Cam.
Mounted it with a small strut & cable ties.

First try was with a long clear nylon line (to make the drone very small in appearance) that did not work. The camera started swinging and almost brought the Mavic Air down...

Regarding camera, the good thing is that in this the camera is far from the objects filmed so the ugly stitching lines are less of an issue.
The closer the objects filmed the more they are visible.

Anyone knows of a lighter cam with better stitching and resolution than the Gear360 and can recommend it based on actual experience?

Here is my mount. It is the only place that will not interfere with any of the sensors.

Attachments

• 20181025_073153.jpg
    20181025_073153.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
Reactions: AMann
That does look like it'd work well. I broke down and bought this at Amazon (of course it's on the slow boat from China, so maybe I'll get it before Christmas!). I'll let everyone know how well it works after it arrives.

That does look like it'd work well. I broke down and bought this at Amazon (of course it's on the slow boat from China, so maybe I'll get it before Christmas!). I'll let everyone know how well it works after it arrives.

I just bought the exact same one, and will try it out with the 2017 Gear 360. Supposedly it has some mechanical vibration dampeners, but I'm skeptical as to how well they work given how cheap it is. I'm concerned with best way to launch and land though, as the belly mount is obviously not very conducive to either, and the 360 cam has a lot of vulnerable glass just waiting to make first contact with the ground.
-I'm assuming hand catch is the best option?
-Anyone have experience with belly mounts and the effect it has on stability and battery life with the added weight (i.e. where is the best mount spot?) Anything that needs to be taken into consideration before trying it out?

Kind Regards!

Here are two videos from my 360 camera rig. The first one is VR where the viewer can control the view by moving you phone to the direction you want to see, or using your finger or mouse to change the direction. (If it doesnt appear as 360, your browser may not support 360)

The second one is the same footage but is called "Hyperframe" you can't control the view but it has some (I think) some pretty cool effects throughout the video.

Don't forget to rotate your camera for better, full screen view!

Please let me know what one you like better. Thanks!

VR:

Hyperframe:

I vote for the first one! Great job with that! Second one is interesting and a bit artsy, but first one really allows for a good feel of the scenery! Thanks for sharing

I just bought the exact same one, and will try it out with the 2017 Gear 360. Supposedly it has some mechanical vibration dampeners, but I'm skeptical as to how well they work given how cheap it is. I'm concerned with best way to launch and land though, as the belly mount is obviously not very conducive to either, and the 360 cam has a lot of vulnerable glass just waiting to make first contact with the ground.
-Anyone have experience with belly mounts and the effect it has on stability and battery life with the added weight (i.e. where is the best mount spot?) Anything that needs to be taken into consideration before trying it out?

Kind Regards!

Well, my thoughts are that hand launching/catching was always an absolute requirement for using these. I mean, I do suppose that one could use some God-awful monster leg extensions, but I can't see how doing so wouldn't make an already wonky flying mechanic even worse. I don't have the bottom mount yet (and who in the flip knows when I'll actually see it...looking at the questionable tracking info it appears that it hasn't actually been shipped yet even though I bought weeks ago), so I can't really speak for the performance of that one right now. However, when using the Gear 360 (20017) on the M2P with the top mount, I saw "maybe" a reduction of around 1-2 minutes of flight time in total...not really anything to be overly concerned with. I'm sure the more wind there is though may affect that range greatly.

Kind Regards!

Mine is on the belly and I launch it from the top of a small open box so that the camera is inside the box and prop arms are on the edges of the rim of the box so the props don't hit it when spinning up. I hand catch. I tried hand launching once and I would not advice it.
Frankly, I'm not sure why you would want to mount it in the top of the drone. Kinda takes away from the whole point of mounting a 360 camera on the drone in the first place

Reactions: AMann
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronesforlife