DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

360 Globe

gsgentry

Reactions
I recently shot a 360 globe panarama on my Mavic Pro and I tried using DJI Media Maker to stitch everything together, but it keeps giving me errors.

I did this a couple years back when I first got my drone, but can’t remember how I did it.

Can anyone provide some insight on why it keeps giving errors? I’m hoping to get this resolved as I think it’s going to be a cool image. Thank you.

BTW... I am using a Mac if that matters.

My Panorama folder consists of 34 files.

Thanks again in advance.

Last edited:
What format? I am guessing that you are using DNG files.
Many stiching programes will not accept the DNG format. I think that, it is somthing to do with the fact that the files are not pictures as we understand a picture to be.
You either shoot in jpg in the first place or convert DNG to another format before trying to stitch them.

I use MS ICE and stick with jpg files as the originals. After stitching I use GIMP to resize and scale to a the correct ratio width to height. (twice as wide as it is tall) Then use Rioch Theta or Insta 360 to view.
You can fill in the sky with a false ceiling if you want, and/or use skyfill to do the job but unless you have a clear blue sky there is always a trace of something not quite right. Skyfill does allow you to create a mirror globe in the sky above the photo position if you wish.

You need software that will stitch the 34 pictures into a single spherical image. I use PTGUI Pro which works well but isn't cheap. You could try Hugin, which is free — I used it for a while before deciding that PTGUI Pro made sense for me.

Both Affinity Photo and Photoshop can stitch panoramas, although I'm not certain is they can handle spherical ones. I've been shooting spherical panoramas for years so things may well be different to when I started.

My process it to import the images for the panorama into PTGUI Pro and let it handle finding control points and aligning images. Depending on the automatic results I'll hand-tweak the control points until I get a decent result, then export in the desired format (usually equirectangular for a display like in the galleries above).

If I'm shooting HDR then I'll export the different blend planes from PTGUI Pro and tone-map in Photomatix.

The resulting image might get processed with Color Efex, then I'll touch up in Affinity Photo (which makes editing spherical images easy).

You need software that will stitch the 34 pictures into a single spherical image. I use PTGUI Pro which works well but isn't cheap. You could try Hugin, which is free — I used it for a while before deciding that PTGUI Pro made sense for me.

Both Affinity Photo and Photoshop can stitch panoramas, although I'm not certain is they can handle spherical ones. I've been shooting spherical panoramas for years so things may well be different to when I started.

My process it to import the images for the panorama into PTGUI Pro and let it handle finding control points and aligning images. Depending on the automatic results I'll hand-tweak the control points until I get a decent result, then export in the desired format (usually equirectangular for a display like in the galleries above).

If I'm shooting HDR then I'll export the different blend planes from PTGUI Pro and tone-map in Photomatix.

The resulting image might get processed with Color Efex, then I'll touch up in Affinity Photo (which makes editing spherical images easy).
Photoshop can do a 360, just for reference, but it's a headache. I second the rec of PTGui.

Do we know what file format gs is trying to stitch?
They didn't mention if it was JPEG or Raw. I would expect a product from DJI to understand DJI Raw files, though.

I know that PTGUI Pro can take Raw files. Conversion might be handled by the OS on a Mac — not certain about that, though.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thefons82