DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3d mapping with the mavic

For those using Agisoft Photoscan to make their 3D models, what computers are you using for your processing, and what high density point cloud settings do you use mostly?

I'm using a HP Envy i7 5500U laptop with 16GB of RAM, tried processing a 350 photo flyaround of a boulder outcrop and ran into memory issues. It works with the lower settings for the high density point cloud, but I want to update. Here is my first try with the above configuration and settings with the 350 jpg's I took at the highest quality with my M2P. The outcrop is big, about 50m x 25m x 5m - you can see old truck tires on the ground for a size reference:Mavic 2 Pro Photoscan Outcrop.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone had any luck with DD or Maps Made Easy with the new Mavic 2 Pro?
Yes I did my first one today with the M2P and DD, I had previously been using my Mavic Pro or P4P, here is the ortho. I shoot these for the Ryan Homes developments in the Dayton area.Pinnacle Ridge Orthophoto 1 SM.jpg

Reactions: AMann
For those using Agisoft Photoscan to make their 3D models, what computers are you using for your processing, and what high density point cloud settings do you use mostly?

I'm using a HP Envy i7 5500U laptop with 16GB of RAM, tried processing a 350 photo flyaround of a boulder outcrop and ran into memory issues. It works with the lower settings for the high density point cloud, but I want to update. Here is my first try with the above configuration and settings with the 350 jpg's I took at the highest quality with my M2P. The outcrop is big, about 50m x 25m x 5m - you can see old truck tires on the ground for a size reference:View attachment 51673
I usually use medium for the Dense Point clouds, it does OK. If I need higher detail I go with High, but have rarely needed to.

I usually use medium for the Dense Point clouds, it does OK. If I need higher detail I go with High, but have rarely needed to.

Im pushing it using the higher settings wanting to get the surface details as its for recording archaeological sites - this large outcrop doesnt have much for features, I was practicing with it mostly. Some of the ones I’m interested in recording have pictographs and mortar holes in them.

Your ortho looks great, how many images and at what height were you flying it?

Im pushing it using the higher settings wanting to get the surface details as its for recording archaeological sites - this large outcrop doesnt have much for features, I was practicing with it mostly. Some of the ones I’m interested in recording have pictographs and mortar holes in them.

Your ortho looks great, how many images and at what height were you flying it?
That was at 175' 376 photos.

You can keep using a free version after that, of course, with some limitations. If I recall, regarding the area size, project resolution and only 2D modelling. But then, if DroneDeploy app work well for you, you can keep using it only to get the imagery and let the processing step with the MapsMadeEasy system, which I found very effective if you provide a good quality imagery set.

This is from their Q&A:

„Can I use DroneDeploy for free?
Yes! The DroneDeploy Explorer plan enables you to create 2D maps and 3D models without charge. You get some of the great functionality offered by the platform, such as automated flying, image processing, and sharing and annotating your maps; but are limited in terms of the number of maps you can process and other advanced capabilities (volumetric calculations, data exports, etc.).“

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake