DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3rd Party Wide Angle Lens for the M3P

Flashheart

Reactions
Has anybody tried the 3rd party wide angle lens at the link below? I'm tempted to try it solely because the advert claims it has been manufactured using Schott glass. I have some excellent NDs made from Schott glass. I'm interested in the lenses sharpness, barrel distortion and chromatic aberration performance.

@ObsidianVX ,i would be wary of the added weight of the filter ,it looks quite deep ,compared to the plain class cover it will replace ,it could cause gimbal overload issues ,and affect the gimbals ability to keep a strait horizon, in windy conditions, or when Yawing ,but you could always give it a try if you so wish

@ObsidianVX ,i would be wary of the added weight of the filter ,it looks quite deep ,compared to the plain class cover it will replace ,it could cause gimbal overload issues ,and affect the gimbals ability to keep a strait horizon, in windy conditions, or when Yawing ,but you could always give it a try if you so wish
That's a valid point, I'm going to purchase one soon and give it a try, but I will weigh the wide angle lens first. If it weighs more than a ND/CPL I will discard it.

Reactions: old man mavic
I would also consider whether or not you will like images shot with a wider angle lens. I frequently have to fly quite close to objects to make them visually interesting. A wider angle lens will make this problem worse.

I would also consider whether or not you will like images shot with a wider angle lens. I frequently have to fly quite close to objects to make them visually interesting. A wider angle lens will make this problem worse.
I love wide angle lenses. They’re great for landscape photography and dof. My favourite lens is a Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS.

Reactions: Torque
Speaking of wide angle lenses for the M3P...

DJI sells one (or at least they did briefly). Here's a listing for it:

DJI 0.65x Wide-Angle Lens for Mini 3 Pro

It's been listed as "unavailable" for a long time.

Does anyone know if this was discontinued by DJI, or simply "out of stock" (and unavailable) for months?

Reactions: ssvdh66
Speaking of wide angle lenses for the M3P...

DJI sells one (or at least they did briefly). Here's a listing for it:

DJI 0.65x Wide-Angle Lens for Mini 3 Pro

It's been listed as "unavailable" for a long time.

Does anyone know if this was discontinued by DJI, or simply "out of stock" (and unavailable) for mo
You can buy it direct from DJI , it ships within a day ....https://store.dji.com/au/product/dji-mavic-3-wide-angle-lens

Just as a warning..
I purchased and tested the DJI wide angle lens. It defocused and softened ALL the video I shot with it.

See this video starting at 3:46 on the timeline. This clip was shot with the DJI wide angle lens. The rest of the clips without the lens on this video are sharp and in focus. The clip flying through this mall with the wide angle lens is not.

(FYI: I had multiple signs up that we were flying overhead and security guards were watching the drone for safety. Oh.. and the hotel clip at the end of the video a few blocks from Miami International airport, I got LAANC approval for 50 foot height.. proud of that one)

I returned it to B&H Photo. I'm guessing that is the reason that there is no wide release of this lens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flashheart
Just as a warning..
I purchased and tested the DJI wide angle lens. It defocused and softened ALL the video I shot with it.

See this video starting at 3:46 on the timeline. This clip was shot with the DJI wide angle lens. The rest of the clips without the lens on this video are sharp and in focus. The clip flying through this mall with the wide angle lens is not.

(FYI: I had multiple signs up that we were flying overhead and security guards were watching the drone for safety. Oh.. and the hotel clip at the end of the video a few blocks from Miami International airport, I got LAANC approval for 50 foot height.. proud of that one)

I returned it to B&H Photo. I'm guessing that is the reason that there is no wide release of this lens.
Interesting, did you film that in manual or autofocus? Barrel distortion is quite pronounced.

Just as a warning..

Yeah, the footage through the mall looks way too soft, looks terrible. (I'm also somewhat amazed to see someone fly through such a constrained space with all those people below - I assume you must have had permission from the mall management).

Impressed that you were able to get LAANC approval for even 50' (given how close you were to the airport surface operations)...good for you.

I suppose I will steer clear of the wide angle lens.

A wide angle adapter is one thing I would prefer to buy directly from the manufacturer for a number of different reasons. DJI makes one, but as far as I can tell you can't use it with ND filters so it's a non-starter for most work.

To be fair to DJI, autofocus wide angle lenses are prone to focus problems. It’s unfair to label DJI’s WA lens as terrible without testing it in manual focus mode.

Yeah, the footage through the mall looks way too soft, looks terrible. (I'm also somewhat amazed to see someone fly through such a constrained space with all those people below - I assume you must have had permission from the mall management).

Impressed that you were able to get LAANC approval for even 50' (given how close you were to the airport surface operations)...good for you.

I suppose I will steer clear of the wide angle lens.
Yup. It was coordinated with the owner of the location and security. You see the security guy walking down telling everyone to be mindful and not to look up. I ended up still going too slow for my liking but I was being extra careful. Also, there is a security guy on the left that was on the phone with me while I flew. He told me I was about to hit the wires so I forced the drone down, but realized after that I still had more than enough room.

As for the airport, I tried for 100 feet and was denied. So I did a hail mary and requested 50 feet plus I would have a VO and they approved it! I use ALOFT for all my requests as it is just so **** easy. In the video, I am on the roof of the hotel with the VO so we could keep line of sight for both visual and the radio.

Reactions: Aerophile
Yup. It was coordinated with the owner of the location and security. You see the security guy walking down telling everyone to be mindful and not to look up. I ended up still going too slow for my liking but I was being extra careful. Also, there is a security guy on the left that was on the phone with me while I flew. He told me I was about to hit the wires so I forced the drone down, but realized after that I still had more than enough room.

As for the airport, I tried for 100 feet and was denied. So I did a hail mary and requested 50 feet plus I would have a VO and they approved it! I use ALOFT for all my requests as it is just so **** easy. In the video, I am on the roof of the hotel with the VO so we could keep line of sight for both visual and the radio.
I noticed the security guy on the phone in the mall footage, he seemed to be the only one looking at the drone (I kept wondering why nobody else was looking at it...). Also saw the two guys on the hotel roof. All makes sense.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard