DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

400 ft Height limitations

Will landing higher than the take off point zero out your altitude only to start out at zero feet again. I would have to say the drone would need to be shut off.

Will landing higher than the take off point zero out your altitude only to start out at zero feet again. I would have to say the drone would need to be shut off.
Not sure about the Mavic 2 pro, but I suspect it's like my Mavic Mini, which I know resets its altitude to zero the instant it touches down. I take off in my back yard and land on my roof, about 20 feet above, and the drone follows the rule, "When the gear touches the ground, you are, by definition, exactly 0' AGL". The altimeter resets and the motors turn off. I can then take off and come back down to the backyard, where the ground is now at a negative altitude, according to the altimeter. Of course, landing once again resets altimeter to zero.

During the whole exercise I don't touch the drone's power button (my roof is inconvenient to reach via ladder).

"I am trying to film a rock formation from the base of it. It is about 450 ft. tall, with a Mavic 2 pro, is there a way to fly above it? If I were above it and launched, I would be able too fly 400 ft legally in height. So what gives?"

Since your question is asking "is there a way"..............the answer is yes. As has already been mentioned, you can do it under Part 107 rules. Not necessarily the way you might want to do it, but a way none the less.

Jim

Since your question is asking "is there a way"..............the answer is yes. As has already been mentioned, you can do it under Part 107 rules. Not necessarily the way you might want to do it, but a way none the less.
He could fly as he's wanting to whether or not he flies under Part 107 rules.

Reactions: Rich QR
Im puzzled as to the question? A 450 ft rock is no different than a 10,000' mountain. There is a distance away from the obstacle that allows you to climb to the height of that obstacle whether that's a 450' rock or the 1454' Empire State Bldg; which you might climb to 1854' if it werent a no fly zone. I believe that distance is 200'. You start at 0'MSL and climb to 10,000' MSL without concern as long as your flight path is 400' AGL, within 200' horizontal collision avoidance distance, and your eyesight is good enough.

Can't speak to 500m (1640') from launch point. Would seem to limit flight distance horizontally from launch point to 1640' as well?

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803