DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

-41c

Oh nice I like Silverton. Sounds kinda brutal though. I guess all that hiking keeps the blood pumping but dang. That’s too cold even for me.

Agreed. And heavy aerobic exercise breathing -40° air is not good for you. At least the lift does the initial work.

Spare (uninstalled) lithium metal batteries and lithium ion batteries, electronic cigarettes and vaping devices are prohibited in checked baggage. They must be carried with the passenger in carry-on baggage. Smoke and fire incidents involving lithium batteries can be mitigated by the cabin crew and passengers inside the aircraft cabin.

-FAA Fact Sheet – Lithium Batteries in Baggage

Technically you can store one battery in the drone and have it checked but it must be protected. I would advise carrying it on to prevent damage to not only the batteries but also the drone
I was aware of all that. But my question was : had anyone ever done it by accident ?

Ah well, I guess I'll be the first to try and report back...
I have installed and worked on -40c walk-in freezers. Almost every aspect is specifically engineered for these temps. Grease in motor bearings turns to glue and won't lubricate. Motors need internal heaters. Air pressure differences sucks water into electronics. (Condensed from the air) Parts expand and contract and insulation cracks off of wires. Good luck, but I think you're going to destroy your drone. BTW li-ion batteries are typically limited to -20c

I have installed and worked on -40c walk-in freezers. Almost every aspect is specifically engineered for these temps. Grease in motor bearings turns to glue and won't lubricate. Motors need internal heaters. Air pressure differences sucks water into electronics. (Condensed from the air) Parts expand and contract and insulation cracks off of wires. Good luck, but I think you're going to destroy your drone. BTW li-ion batteries are typically limited to -20c

That's not a completely equivalent situation because of the effect of warmer air with a higher water vapor concentration entering the freezer from outside. The resulting moisture condensation problem in the freezer won't happen outdoors in low-humidity -40°C conditions. However, the mechanical issues with lubrication and differential thermal expansion may well be a problem. The batteries are somewhat self-heating and so can work in ambient temperatures below their actual rated operating temperature, but there will be a lower limit below which they will cool faster than they heat.

Reactions: old man mavic
Does anyone know will the MAV PRO 2 operate in sub sub sub zero temps?View attachment 92117
I'm in Northern Ontario, Canada and fly all the time in cold weather, my coldest flight to date has been -37 C. I did a couple of tests flying is cold weather last year, check out this thread for the results. Any sub-zero (F) flights?

I have found no problems during any of my flights and very little reduction in the endurance of the batteries, I'm flying the Mavic Pro Platinum. Any questions feel free to contact me.

Cheers

I'm in Northern Ontario, Canada and fly all the time in cold weather, my coldest flight to date has been -37 C. I did a couple of tests flying is cold weather last year, check out this thread for the results. Any sub-zero (F) flights?

I have found no problems during any of my flights and very little reduction in the endurance of the batteries, I'm flying the Mavic Pro Platinum. Any questions feel free to contact me.

Cheers

In northern bc, I fly regularly below -30.
Never had an operational problem, but sometimes the gimbal gets a bit sticky.
Flight times seem to be about 20% shorter

By way of an update on this subject. I can now say with certainty that the Mavick Pro 2 or any other drone will not fly in sub zero temperatures. I was at -41c (-41.8F) and the problem is not what you might think. The iPhone or any mobile device that uses lithium batteries auto close down at low temperatures, to protect the device. IT takes about 10 mins or less to do so. So there is no way to control the drone. Likewise, the drone batteries cease functioning almost immediately. I did meet a fellow Mav 2 Pro owner who lives in Barrow in the Arctic Circle in Alaska and they have had recent temp of -76c He showed me footage he took, but that was in the summer on July 4th, when temp were much kinder. So, I will watch with interest in the future, if I see any recorded drone footage in sub-zero temps. From Deadhorse good evening.WhatsApp Image 2020-01-31 at 04.06.06.jpeg

This might give you some practical insight. Hope it helps.

I don't understand this ? This is contrary to my findings:-

By way of an update on this subject. I can now say with certainty that the Mavick Pro 2 or any other drone will not fly in sub zero temperatures. I was at -41c (-41.8F) and the problem is not what you might think. The iPhone or any mobile device that uses lithium batteries auto close down at low temperatures, to protect the device. IT takes about 10 mins or less to do so. So there is no way to control the drone. Likewise, the drone batteries cease functioning almost immediately. I did meet a fellow Mav 2 Pro owner who lives in Barrow in the Arctic Circle in Alaska and they have had recent temp of -76c He showed me footage he took, but that was in the summer on July 4th, when temp were much kinder. So, I will watch with interest in the future, if I see any recorded drone footage in sub-zero temps. From Deadhorse good evening.WhatsApp Image 2020-01-31 at 04.06.06.jpeg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3