DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

-41c

I’m sure you are joking but just in case, no, that would be a terrible idea. Who in their right mind would want to be outside in that weather to begin with.
I am not joking, I am flying from Las Vegas to Fairbanks tomorrow.

• Wow
Reactions: WAXMAN
They will fly at low temperatures in relatively dry air provided that the batteries start warm. I haven't tried below around -10°C though. The electronics should be okay, but I don't know about the mechanical components.
Ah well, I guess I'll be the first to try and report back...

Reactions: WAXMAN
I'll start with a hover first see how it reacts.... do you think DJI will sponsor?

good luck hope you come back with your Mav in one piece ,

For those interested, check out my FB page " Travelling to Work " I circumnavigate the globe every year, and this is my 5th straight year. After Anchorage & Fairbanks, it's Hawaii and the Philippines.

Again no. Battery couldn’t take it, camera probably won’t work right.

On a side note it’s kinda interesting that -40c=-40f didn’t realize there was a point at which the two systems became the same. Mind blown

Has to happen...

Tc = (Tf - 32)*5/9

If Tc = Tf then rearranging

T*9/5 = T - 32

T = -32*5/(9 - 5) =. -40

temperatures.png

If you really want to try keep in mind the AC won’t take off if the battery is colder than a certain threshold. There won’t be much time before that battery cools to below the threshold so I would recommend turning the AC on while indoors and then taking it out side and arming the motors while waiting for GPS lock. You don’t want it outside without being on and don’t want it just sitting there while acquiring GPS.

Id also land with at least 40% battery left and keto an eye on the internal temp from the app.

Has anyone ever packed their drone in the aircraft "hold' as those temp would be similar ( granted not operating) ?

Has anyone ever packed their drone in the aircraft "hold' as those temp would be similar ( granted not operating) ?
Spare (uninstalled) lithium metal batteries and lithium ion batteries, electronic cigarettes and vaping devices are prohibited in checked baggage. They must be carried with the passenger in carry-on baggage. Smoke and fire incidents involving lithium batteries can be mitigated by the cabin crew and passengers inside the aircraft cabin.

-FAA Fact Sheet – Lithium Batteries in Baggage

Technically you can store one battery in the drone and have it checked but it must be protected. I would advise carrying it on to prevent damage to not only the batteries but also the drone

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne