DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

$49 Huawei Ascend XT2 aka Wunderphone = THE best Mavic screen EVER

Yes, as a point of reference. Many phones have screens that suck when viewed in direct sunlight. I already have a dedicated phone that sucks (brightness-wise). I don't need another one ~ unless of course it doesn't suck. 550 nits ain't half bad.

It doesn't suck. It ROCKS in direct sunlight. Way better than Note 4 and ipad mini 2.

Besides nits, polarization can also be a factor. Wunderphone emits polarized light (so may not be visible with polarized sunglasses in landscape mode), but it's possibly the very thing that gives it such bright screen. IOW, not all nits/nuts are created equal.

Reactions: Dragonfly and rickw
Re: Apple ecosystem - you don't need to be committed to any ecosystem to fly Mavic. No clouds, no photos, videos, books, tv shows, subscriptions, contacts, notes... anything, not needed. My Mavic-only Wunderphone has only Go 4 installed, all you need is a throw-away gmail to login to Play Store. Apple and Google do a great job FUDing people that "ecosystem" myth and weaving their spiderwebs to incapacitate people of thinking about anything else.
OT: In the early 90s, as I was getting into graphic design ~ Apple users kept telling me (in spite of me not asking) that a PC could not handle graphics, and Apple was the ONLY way to go. Even then on my Intel 486, I was able to produce graphics of absolutely equal or better quality. I think Apple has done a brilliant job of getting into the heads of their users, getting them to believe the hype. When my band went to mix some recorded tracks - our singer insisted that we mix on his Mac, to avoid crashes...etc.(it's always the same BS argument). His machine crashed so many times that we completed the mixing process on my 8-core PC ~ flawlessly. I'm just sayin'.... Don't fall for the hype.

Last edited:
OT: In the early 90s, as I was getting into graphic design ~ Apple users kept telling me (in spite of me not asking) that a PC could not handle graphics, and Apple was the ONLY way to go. Even then on my Intel 486, I was able to produce graphics of absolutely equal or better quality. I think Apple has done a brilliant job of getting into the heads of their users, getting them to believe the hype. When my band went to mix some recorded tracks - our singer insisted that we mix on his Mac, to avoid crashes...etc.(it's always the same BS argument). His machine crashed so many times that we completed the mixing process on my 8-core PC ~ flawlessly. I'm just sayin'.... Don't fall for the hype.

Yeah, apple USED to be special in their great years; not anymore. What happened was 1) apple became so filthy rich, the arrogance moved in; and 2) several years after the success of the original iphone, other companies that used to suck started blatantly imitating apple, not only in phones, but in laptops, etc.; the end result is great for us consumers - inexpensive products that do essentially the same thing as good, if not better, than apple products, and look stylish and are well made.

We've reached the level where GE is GE, no need to spend fortune on a **** phone.

Reactions: Qoncussion
I have mine that I have not actually done anything with except open it. It's just something I don't have a need for right now after getting it. I'm too deep in the Apple ecosystem lol.
Should I post it in the classifieds or mention here I'll take 62 shipped paypal for it to any continental address? It's what I have in it plus what shipping would cost. I have almost 750 feedback on ebay all positive.

View attachment 26666
View attachment 26665 View attachment 26666 View attachment 26665
pm sent

So....many thanks to XDP and other contributors to this thread. I finally got the Wunderphone after Walmart lost in in Florida for a week. I’m getting it set up to be solely used for the Mavic Pro and Osmo Mobile.

First time Android User so I’m taking my time to get it done. I’ve gone through the process of loading DJI Go 4 version .18 and then .15 and got it working on the bench...(Go App is also working on the Osmo).

I’m very satisfied with the Wunderphone and the screen brightness should give me more visibility in sunlight than my iPhone 6 or iPad mini 2.

I’m almost ready for some test flights but had a Mavic Pro firmware question. I haven’t upgraded the firmware in months. I’ve had the Mavic for about a year with over 100 flights in US and Iceland (OK...so it was only one flight in Iceland)....in all that time, I haven’t had a single glitch during the flights. At times, the video would lag but that was only when I was several thousand feet away from the controller in a heavily populated area.

That said, I’m really satisfied but I am still operating with FW Ver 01.03.550. So I’m thinking it might be time to upgrade the firmware on everything but the controller (stick with .15 ). Any advice about keeping 01.03.550 or upgrading to current would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
I see that this runs on Android 7 nougat. I had numerous problems with nougat on my Nexus 6P. Anyone having any Go4 app crashes on these little pre-paid gems?

I have gone through a half dozen or so flights now, not a single crash of the app. HOWEVER, I do have a HECK of a time getting the app to connect to the Mavic though. I have tried different/ better cords etc, and not once have I been able to connect without starting the app, force quitting the app, then restarting the app. Not one single time. Once its up and running, it has been great, its just (for me) been a royal pain to get it up and running.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rejdmast