DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

$49 Huawei Ascend XT2 aka Wunderphone = THE best Mavic screen EVER

I received a different Huawei phone to day to try with the Mavic. It is the Honor 6X. It has a faster processor, more memory and full HD 1920 X 1080 screen resolution. The display is at least as bright and maybe brighter than the Wunderphone. It was three times the price at $149 and came with a free translucent case. I will load up the software tomorrow and test it if the weather cooperates. I will try to get some comparison photos with the XT2 in bright sun if we get any sun.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
can the MP and the wunderphone handle a 128k sd card anyone?

Last edited:
was I wrong about 1.9 app,or did they do update on 1.8?Thought I read it in thread but can't find it

Was everything working fine?
Having acquired the Leagoo T10 after Phoebe's thread, and using that as a comparison being my dedicated display phone, the screen wasn't as bright or as clear placed next to each other. And I occasionally got video lag where it would freeze up. That doesn't occur with the Leagoo T10. The lag was similar to the lag with earlier model Leagoo M8 that has very similar specs to the Huawei. I also experienced occasional lag with the Mavic, Phantom 3 Advanced and the Phantom 3 Std. Admittedly, it wasn't bad enough that I couldn't fly but annoying. I used the M8 even with a lag for some time before getting the T10 as it had a larger & brighter screen then my 5" iPhone. I stopped using the iPhone after getting a phone call at a critical time and momentarily losing the connection when I forgot to turn the phone off before flying.

What are those conditions?
If I didn't clear cache or stored memory the 2GB Ram with only 1.4Ghz wasn't sufficient. The video lag got worse as the phone apps used more RAM getting over 1GB. Since the Huawei phone was for my daughter to use as a phone, I didn't remove unwanted apps as I did when I used my first Leagoo M8 Mavic display phone that had similar specs to the Huawei. I took everything off the M8 and the lag wasn't quite as bad.

Having acquired the Leagoo T10 after Phoebe's thread, and using that as a comparison being my dedicated display phone

Well, comparing a better spec'ed phone to a lesser one side by side, of course you will get a better impression. For example, put a Note 8 or any ~$1K flagship next to Wunderphone and it's a joke. The whole point of my experiment, buying it sight unseen, only based on a single "Blown away" post on macrumors, and discovering that it's totally adequate for Mavic and has much brighter screen in direct sun than Note 4 and ipad mini 2, is that it's totally GE by itself and serves a cheap dedicated device role wunderfully. It doesn't have to be top spec'ed to be GE.

I also experienced occasional lag with the Mavic, Phantom 3 Advanced and the Phantom 3 Std. Admittedly, it wasn't bad enough that I couldn't fly but annoying.

Did you disable bloatware? Did you undertake any steps to optimize the system? Did you fly in Airplane mode? What version Go 4? I've (and many others here) experienced no lag whatsoever.

The video lag got worse as the phone apps used more RAM getting over 1GB.

What apps? The point of this thread is a dedicated Mavic screen, not a device running concurrently tons of junk.

I didn't remove unwanted apps as I did when I used my first Leagoo M8 Mavic display phone that had similar specs to the Huawei. I took everything off the M8 and the lag wasn't quite as bad.

Well, that explains a lot of the problems you're experiencing. Either Mavic or junk, your choice.

Reactions: Dragonfly
I have more than 10 flights on this phone with zero issues and zero lag. Nothing installed except DJI Go 4 and UAV forecast. I added my Gmail account for the play store and Google photos. I uninstalled what I could and disabled what I couldn't.

The only thing that doesn't work is Follow Me mode but it doesn't work on my Samsung S7 either. I think it's a DJI bug.

Well, comparing a better spec'ed phone to a lesser one side by side, of course you will get a better impression. For example, put a Note 8 or any ~$1K flagship next to Wunderphone and it's a joke. The whole point of my experiment, buying it sight unseen, only based on a single "Blown away" post on macrumors, and discovering that it's totally adequate for Mavic and has much brighter screen in direct sun than Note 4 and ipad mini 2, is that it's totally GE by itself and serves a cheap dedicated device role wunderfully. It doesn't have to be top spec'ed to be GE.

Did you disable bloatware? Did you undertake any steps to optimize the system? Did you fly in Airplane mode? What version Go 4? I've (and many others here) experienced no lag whatsoever.

What apps? The point of this thread is a dedicated Mavic screen, not a device running concurrently tons of junk.

Well, that explains a lot of the problems you're experiencing. Either Mavic or junk, your choice.

Ver. DJI GO4 version 4.1.12, bloatware was removed, minimal phone usage apps remained, video cache disabled and memory repeatedly monitored and cleared, airplane mode. Had the phone been purchased as a dedicated Mavic display more apps would have been removed but it was a gift to use as a phone so I elected to test it in that manner. Still, with so few apps remaining there shouldn't have been any lag given the repeated clearing of used memory.

We came to this post from a thread you made on the Leagoo T10 where you sited a comparison performance of the Le Eco to the Huawei via Geekbench. That surprised us as despite the performance from our experience was that the Le Eco far surpassed the Huawei. Testing as many Chinese phones as we have we would recommend a phone with an octacore w/2.0Ghz or greater, and at least 4GB RAM. The Huawei doesn't measure up to those specs. These configurations are easily attainable for a tad more than the bargain price of $49. GE for you may not be GE for those that see this post and then try some minimal research to make a decision to purchase a dedicated display phone. In our view the higher the specs the better the performance particularly if you stream 4K, use video cache, as well as other features that consume memory.

Last edited:
I am having a look at it, looks interesting.
Relative to Chinese Tablets, we tried some with similar configurations but not the Huawei T3 specifically. They included the Cube iWork8 Air, Teclast tBook 16 Pro (too big but we tired it anyway) as well as the non-Chinese Samsung S2 8 inch. Surprisingly none of them worked well. We were disappointed in the Samsung S2 being as expensive and as fine a tablet as it was. The connections were never stable and there was considerable video lag despite some users not having those issues. The Teclast had sufficient RAM but the Ghz was only 1.44. Also, it was really too big for this but we had to try it anyways since we had it. The Cube iWorks8 Air, a great size tablet with the Mavic if yo like tablets, also only had 1.44Ghz and 2GB RAM and didn't work. The Samsung S2, having a very bright and clear screen, also had an insecure connection and video lag. That was very disappointing given how good the table truly is.

And just for the heck of it we tried a Cube i9 - a really nicely configured 12" tablet and were not too surprised it didn't work. But since it had the same configuration as an earlier Surface Pro we had to give it a test. Lastly, we came across a Jumper EZ Pad 5s Flagship, tested it, and that lagged as well.

We concluded that for our use a good 6 inch phone would be ideal for total Mavic portability and settled on the Leagoo T10 with it's 5.7" screen. We couldn't get a tablet in the Mavic Pro Case. Even Ed Ricker who first hyped an ipad tablet for his Mavic later decided that portability was too critical and he went back to a smaller phone for display and gave up his tablet. He also hyped a big Mavic Plastic carrying case but later in the year decided that was just too big as well and went back to the standard Mavic Bundle Carrying Case. I guess the point here is that the Mavic is so portable why ruin it with something additional to have to lug around with you?

Some forums have indicated that the feeling is that DJI is technically married to Apple as it appears that the majority of phone incompatibilities occur with Android Phones. We think along the same lines.

Last edited:
I've been using the Huawei XT2 as well. It is dedicated for the Mavic and works great. Since using a case on Huawei doesn't fit in the RC nicely, I keep the Huawei naked in a sleeve when not being used. I got one that was made for iPhone 7-plus, and it fits great. Got a warehouse deal for $8 and it has some padding for protection. They have models with less padding as well. Probably any sleeve made for iPhone 7-plus would work.

https://www.amazon.com/Synthetic-Le...13357260&sr=1-2&keywords=iPhone+6+plus+sleeve

81ojF7ob2pL._SL1500_.jpg

We came to this post from a thread you made on the Leagoo T10 where you sited a comparison performance of the Le Eco to the Huawei via Geekbench. That surprised us as despite the performance from our experience was that the Le Eco far surpassed the Huawei.

This post?

A terrific dedicated 10 core processor phone for flying the Mavic Pro - all for $134

"I'm convinced that by awesomeness/price ratio, Wunderphone has absolutely no rivals."

I didn't compare Geekbench scores or specs, only meant to say what's in red.

Reactions: rickw
Relative to Chinese Tablets, we tried some with similar configurations but not the Huawei T3 specifically. They included the Cube iWork8 Air, Teclast tBook 16 Pro (too big but we tired it anyway) as well as the non-Chinese Samsung S2 8 inch. Surprisingly none of them worked well. We were disappointed in the Samsung S2 being as expensive and as fine a tablet as it was. The connections were never stable and there was considerable video lag despite some users not having those issues. The Teclast had sufficient RAM but the Ghz was only 1.44. Also, it was really too big for this but we had to try it anyways since we had it. The Cube iWorks8 Air, a great size tablet with the Mavic if yo like tablets, also only had 1.44Ghz and 2GB RAM and didn't work. The Samsung S2, having a very bright and clear screen, also had an insecure connection and video lag. That was very disappointing given how good the table truly is.

And just for the heck of it we tried a Cube i9 - a really nicely configured 12" tablet and were not too surprised it didn't work. But since it had the same configuration as an earlier Surface Pro we had to give it a test. Lastly, we came across a Jumper EZ Pad 5s Flagship, tested it, and that lagged as well.

We concluded that for our use a good 6 inch phone would be ideal for total Mavic portability and settled on the Leagoo T10 with it's 5.7" screen. We couldn't get a tablet in the Mavic Pro Case. Even Ed Ricker who first hyped an ipad tablet for his Mavic later decided that portability was too critical and he went back to a smaller phone for display and gave up his tablet. He also hyped a big Mavic Plastic carrying case but later in the year decided that was just too big as well and went back to the standard Mavic Bundle Carrying Case. I guess the point here is that the Mavic is so portable why ruin it with something additional to have to lug around with you?

Some forums have indicated that the feeling is that DJI is technically married to Apple as it appears that the majority of phone incompatibilities occur with Android Phones. We think along the same lines.

Again, all these GHz, GB, etc. don't matter as long as the user found a dedicated phone/tablet that works great with Mavic, and Huawei T3 does and is now christened Wundertablet and has its own thread. GE is GE, period.

Yep, and for Wunderphone, it's a God-sent feature, which allows you to keep your dedicated Mavic screen in RC arms permanently, no need to ever take it out tearing&wearing the arms and the USB connector. With Wunderphone, RC lasts about 8 batteries worth of flying. So, the easiest course of action is to stop worrying and love the bomb.

apocalypse_movies_02.jpg

Prescient, given our current times! Much love from Way northern CA!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremy Green