DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

$49 Huawei Ascend XT2 aka Wunderphone = THE best Mavic screen EVER

it's probably buried under all of your mavic boxes and accessories lol
i got my fingers crossed,lol
thank god we have separate bank accounts,if she knew ive spent over 2500 on a ''silly drone'',well i dont wanna think how she would react,so far she thinks its only $249

I did the same buying the Chinese Leagoo T10 Smartphone as a dedicated Mavic display screen (no phone service). It was larger, 5.7",screen, had much higher specs and screen resolution, and like this works terrific. In my view a good 5.5 or 6 inch phone is ideal. Although I had a Samsung 8 inch tablet it was not as portable and quite frankly did not work as well. Now everything I need to fly fits in the small Mavic Pro carrying case and I don't have to worry about phone service effecting my flying. I recall Ed Richter in his Mavic Pro blogs used an ipad and bought a very large plastic carrying case when he acquired his Mavic (I thought it was ridiculous) but recently posted that he ditched them both for the same reason - they were just not as portable as the Mavic Case

Last edited:
Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Just ordered the phone. I have been reading through the thread. I understand how to sideload the APK but how does one load offline maps?

Many thanks for sharing this! Ordered one from WM for store pickup a couple days ago when this thread was first posted, ordered one from Jet as a backup and WM canceled my order about 2 hours after doing so.

Glad I could help. I’m looking into one of these myself now!!

Wow, I just checked availability in stores near me, says "order for pickup on Dec 6", while just yesterday it was avail for same-day pickup in 3-4 stores. I guess these phones are selling out like hot pancakes!

You sure have lots of energy, just ordered one only cause of that!!!!! (Will be handy this winter to already have a "screen" sitting in the remote to save time on "cold fingers"!!!)

Thanks!!!!!!!!

What is status of battery charging? I started w Android: Note8 and it was charging off the controller rapidly without a way to turn off feature. Moved over to iPad 4 to avoid the charging issue and gain a little more screen. From past posts, I assumed Androids would use usb cable as a charging source and iOS does not.

Does this phone use the RC controller as a charging source?

On battery firmware comments above, I didn't notice the additional batteries presenting a prompt to update as in previous versions. There seemed to be a short boot period that I assumed battery was being updated. There was an improved battery firmware feature in .18 so I assumed correct. I unplugged and replugged each battery a few times to see if a firmware popup occurred and none on all batteries (3) after initial extended firmware update of .18... whiched seemed to be much longer than previous RC based firmware updates.

OK I’m sure it has been posted here, but I need clarification. If I were to use this phone as a dedicated screen for the Mavic, does it HAVE to be up and running with AT&T for the gps features to work? I do want the auto track feature to work, and I would like to be able to change the RTH feature on the go....

Does this phone use the RC controller as a charging source?

Yes, all Androids do. There's no remedy at this point, other than connecting phone to the other port and using a powerbank to charge RC via micro usb. Fortunately, RC will last ~10 batteries worth of flying.

On battery firmware comments above, I didn't notice the additional batteries presenting a prompt to update as in previous versions. There seemed to be a short boot period that I assumed battery was being updated. There was an improved battery firmware feature in .18 so I assumed correct. I unplugged and replugged each battery a few times to see if a firmware popup occurred and none on all batteries (3) after initial extended firmware update of .18... whiched seemed to be much longer than previous RC based firmware updates.

Yes, batteries are not necessarily updated each time; however, you do want to rotate all of them when updating FW to make sure you won't be caught by surprise in the field.

Reactions: wytnyt
OK I’m sure it has been posted here, but I need clarification. If I were to use this phone as a dedicated screen for the Mavic, does it HAVE to be up and running with AT&T for the gps features to work? I do want the auto track feature to work, and I would like to be able to change the RTH feature on the go....

No. Mine has SIM removed, GPS works great.

APK = Android application package, basically, app in archived form.

You can install the app either way. Normally, you install by using Google Play Store, but it will be the latest version; use apkmirror site if you want to install an older version.

Is it possible to unlock this phone, or at least use a T-Mobile Sim card ? This would also be great for international travel.

Just ordered the phone. I have been reading through the thread. I understand how to sideload the APK but how does one load offline maps?

It's an option in the hamburger menu on start screen (in v.4.1.15 or earlier; they removed it in 4.1.18 until they resolve Here map server issues). But look in the Firmware forum, there's a way to use cached Google maps.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming