DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

$49 Huawei Ascend XT2 aka Wunderphone = THE best Mavic screen EVER

I have a Samsung Galaxy J7 which I have been flying with successfully. This
Huawei Ascend XT2 has almost the exact same specs as my J7. Not sure if I will keep the Huawei if I find a suitable 7 inch tablet in the meantime. But for the price it is a good substitute so that I can keep using my phone during flights. I'm hoping if anyone else can compare the two that the Huawei maybe has a brighter screen. That would be nice and pretty much make it THE screen for me.

XT2 beats my iPad mini 2 in terms of comfort, battery life (especially when flying), sunlight visibility, sharpness. Even though I have large hands, with the mini in the RC arms they dig into the palms, and also make reach to the sticks a bit less "neutral", relaxed. With the Wunderphone, my fingers rest on the sticks completely neutrally and I feel zero fatique.

Last edited:
Would someone point me to a post that explains what is necessary to do to switch back and forth between iOS and android phones. Is there separate firmware that has to be loaded for android? Are there separate versions for dji go 4 for iOS and android? Are there setting change in the start up menu defaults on Mavic ?

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Would someone point me to a post that explains what is necessary to do to switch back and forth between iOS and android phones. Is there separate firmware that has to be loaded for android? Are there separate versions for dji go 4 for iOS and android? Are there setting change in the start up menu defaults on Mavic ?

Firmware is stored on Mavic and controller, not on phones. Yes, of course, DJI Go 4 for iOS and Android are separate in their respective stores, but they nearly 1:1 match. Some settings are stored in the app, not on the drone, so if you're juggling both Android and iOS, don't forget to equalize the settings. I've been juggling both droid and ios with no issues whatsever. (No Offline Maps on iOS, however.)

I am a SDer since 2007 and initially passed on this deal there but this thread made me bite. I have a Mini4 but this will be good for VR and may be easier on the hands. I'm stoked!

Firmware is stored on Mavic and controller, not on phones. Yes, of course, DJI Go 4 for iOS and Android are separate in their respective stores, but they nearly 1:1 match. Some settings are stored in the app, not on the drone, so if you're juggling both Android and iOS, don't forget to equalize the settings. I've been juggling both droid and ios with no issues whatsever. (No Offline Maps on iOS, however.)
Thanks !!!

I am a SDer since 2007 and initially passed on this deal there but this thread made me bite. I have a Mini4 but this will be good for VR and may be easier on the hands. I'm stoked!

I'm still stocked, too! When I read about this deal on macrumors (the user was literally blown away by how good this phone is), I decided to get it regardless whether it works with Mavic or not, there's always a use for a cheap phone - car navigation, music, etc. At the same time posted a question here in the OP in case if someone already uses it with Mavic. When I got it, I was blown away too, and next day got the 2nd one by walking into WM. Totally obliterates my mini 2. EIGHT cores, mama mia! Web browsing, maps, everything is noticeably faster, the UI skin is very thoroughly thought out and is quite elegant. I don't think we'll have more shameless steal than this until perhaps year 3017. :D

Reactions: Doug D
One negative is that the case for this Wunderphone costs $7.99, same as the $7.99 aluminum Wundercase for Mavic. Too expensive! A small piece of TPU plastic on one side of scales, a big aluminum box on the other. (I ordered the case for the 2nd phone to make it more grippy. But it's a pleasure to hold as is.)

Thanks to everyone for the tips and review. I checked early in the day and both Walmart and Jet were out of stock. Then someone above posted availability and so I checked again and it was back in stock. I will use this for flying only and will leave this phone in my Mavic bag in case I don't want to lug around the 7.85" CrystalSky monitor.

Thanks to everyone for the tips and review. I checked early in the day and both Walmart and Jet were out of stock. Then someone above posted availability and so I checked again and it was back in stock. I will use this for flying only and will leave this phone in my Mavic bag in case I don't want to lug around the 7.85" CrystalSky monitor.

If you could post a picture of comparison of XT2 and CS screens in direct sunlight (reflecting blue sky, like I did in my comparison to mini 2 somewhere above), it would be much appreciated! Very curious how they compare.

If you could post a picture of comparison of XT2 and CS screens in direct sunlight (reflecting blue sky, like I did in my comparison to mini 2 somewhere above), it would be much appreciated! Very curious how they compare.
read earlier in this thread,i think there was a screen comparison

Hey Xtreme, what are you using cable wise? Is that other than lightning cable that came with the Mavic for Android phones? Or do you have to use the phones charging to usb cable?

Or in other words, do Android phones use the mini usb or ‘c’ type connector?

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos