DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

$49 Huawei Ascend XT2 aka Wunderphone = THE best Mavic screen EVER

Yes, I've read the entire thread, copied and pasted notes as I've purchased two of these phones, and nowhere did it say to load the newer version first. Sorry, but Clairvoyant is not my middle name and I didn't step on a freakin rake. I was going to sing your praises Dude, until you became a smart ***. I get enough of that crap at work.

Thanks for the help, nonetheless.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
I know what u mean, true story, spent 2 hours on the phone with apple. This is what happened:
Two nights ago, after having issues with my phone decide to reformat it, it is an iPhone 6. So the backup I do with icloud somehow doesn't work as it says it was incomplete so I lose all my photos, data, etc and luckily maintain photos and contacts via my google backup. Thanks google. Free stuff is the best right. So I am really pissed off at icloud for not working even though I pay .99 cents per month. So I tried to downgrade to the free plan but when I try on my phone, ipad and even computer, it let's me select downgrade but not click done to finalize it. So I call them as I'm pissed. First i'm sent to icloud support after waiting for 30 minutes, then i'm told this an iTunes billing issue, another 30 minute wait. Then i'm told that this is actually an icloud network issue. At this point, I start screaming at the guy on the phone and he threatens to disconnect me. I cool down and wait another 30 minutes and finally the lady understands what is going on and agrees to downgrade my plan which she allegedly does. I'm angry and want to throw away all my apple devices and switch to android. Lo behold, two days pass and no emails or confirmation that icloud has been downgraded. I check my devices and it still says the 50 gb plan. Also my icloud photo storage wont work and is stuck at 1% and won't change even if I restart it ten time, reset my phone, format my phone, nothing works. I give up and don't want to go through another 2 hours with apple phone tag to fix this. Also, I'm still not sure my plan has been downgraded. Welcome to the greedy world of apple.

I know what u mean, true story, spent 2 hours on the phone with apple. This is what happened:
Two nights ago, after having issues with my phone decide to reformat it, it is an iPhone 6. So the backup I do with icloud somehow doesn't work as it says it was incomplete so I lose all my photos, data, etc and luckily maintain photos and contacts via my google backup. Thanks google. Free stuff is the best right. So I am really pissed off at icloud for not working even though I pay .99 cents per month. So I tried to downgrade to the free plan but when I try on my phone, ipad and even computer, it let's me select downgrade but not click done to finalize it. So I call them as I'm pissed. First i'm sent to icloud support after waiting for 30 minutes, then i'm told this an iTunes billing issue, another 30 minute wait. Then i'm told that this is actually an icloud network issue. At this point, I start screaming at the guy on the phone and he threatens to disconnect me. I cool down and wait another 30 minutes and finally the lady understands what is going on and agrees to downgrade my plan which she allegedly does. I'm angry and want to throw away all my apple devices and switch to android. Lo behold, two days pass and no emails or confirmation that icloud has been downgraded. I check my devices and it still says the 50 gb plan. Also my icloud photo storage wont work and is stuck at 1% and won't change even if I restart it ten time, reset my phone, format my phone, nothing works. I give up and don't want to go through another 2 hours with apple phone tag to fix this. Also, I'm still not sure my plan has been downgraded. Welcome to the greedy world of apple.

I quit making Apple richer circa 2014, never bought anything from them since. I still use their devices I have, iphone 5 (as travel phone only), mini 2 (no use for it now that I have WP), MBP (old one, with an excellent matte screen). I'm now 100% OS-"polygamous", not "married to the only one till death do us apart". Android, ios*, Windows - have and use 'em all (and develop apps on all 3 app stores). They all have strengths and weaknesses, I simply pick and choose from this all you can eat buffet.

* these clownz don't even deserve the effort to press and hold Shift key :D

I remember reading something about loading the newer version first.

303181ca8336c4ad72f5aaa34cebb71b.jpg

Yes, I've read the entire thread, copied and pasted notes as I've purchased two of these phones, and nowhere did it say to load the newer version first. Sorry, but Clairvoyant is not my middle name and I didn't step on a freakin rake. I was going to sing your praises Dude, until you became a smart ***. I get enough of that crap at work.

Thanks for the help, nonetheless.
Read the recent post with the large text, he quotes the earlier post explaining to install new first then old....

I just got my Mavic last week and the WONDERPHONE on the same day. Used it with the .18 and it crashed a bunch. Removed, installed .15 according to this forum and no issues yesterday. Again, thanks to all, especially Xtreme Drone Pilot for the heads-up on this phone! I did put in a 128 SD card (cost almost as much as the phone -Samsung 128GB 100mb/s (U3) Evo Select ) and set it to primary storage - - works very well. Got rid of the ATT sim card, downloaded maps (in .15) and went through 3 batts 2x with no crashing issues. Learned about the Android OS, installing .APKs, and all sorts of other stuff from you guys... Cannot say thank you enough.

Besides RTH almost landing the Mavic in my pool (maybe because I was up against my house and the GPS was bouncing?) - had to override but on a beeping low battery warning seemed to fight me as I tried to push up? Still landed in the right spot... again more practice.

Much more to learn but the 4k video was crazy good even on a but of a hazy So Cal day. Probably switching to 1080p instead to save space and edit more easily? (but I will find that somewhere else in this forum so no need to reply on that. (searhing on here keeps me from searching on Amazon for more stuff to purchase. (already have the PowerExtra intelligent rapid charger, the Wonderphone, the SD cards, etc. so my cc needs a break)

I am also going to look up why my logs from my most recent flight did not show up in my profile - - I am sure it is on here somewhere.

Thanks again!

Read the recent post with the large text, he quotes the earlier post explaining to install new first then old....

I just got my Mavic last week and the WONDERPHONE on the same day. Used it with the .18 and it crashed a bunch. Removed, installed .15 according to this forum and no issues yesterday. Again, thanks to all, especially Xtreme Drone Pilot for the heads-up on this phone! I did put in a 128 SD card (cost almost as much as the phone -Samsung 128GB 100mb/s (U3) Evo Select ) and set it to primary storage - - works very well. Got rid of the ATT sim card, downloaded maps (in .15) and went through 3 batts 2x with no crashing issues. Learned about the Android OS, installing .APKs, and all sorts of other stuff from you guys... Cannot say thank you enough.

Besides RTH almost landing the Mavic in my pool (maybe because I was up against my house and the GPS was bouncing?) - had to override but on a beeping low battery warning seemed to fight me as I tried to push up? Still landed in the right spot... again more practice.

Much more to learn but the 4k video was crazy good even on a but of a hazy So Cal day. Probably switching to 1080p instead to save space and edit more easily? (but I will find that somewhere else in this forum so no need to reply on that. (searhing on here keeps me from searching on Amazon for more stuff to purchase. (already have the PowerExtra intelligent rapid charger, the Wonderphone, the SD cards, etc. so my cc needs a break)

I am also going to look up why my logs from my most recent flight did not show up in my profile - - I am sure it is on here somewhere.

Thanks again!

Where in So Cal? I fly @ Carlsbad state beach. Great place to fly sitting on a cliff and sipping coffee in a beach chair.

I uninstalled the 18 apk completely. I installed the 15 Apk, and during install, leave your WiFi in and it will download the necessary resource files.

Don't have my Mavic yet (still on what's-his-name's sleigh), but ordered the phone from walmart.com yesterday after discovering this thread via the "This Week's Most Popular Topics" email. Today I decided to check our local WM, with the intention of bringing one home just in case the online order didn't pan out (or to replace my iPhone 5S if it did). They were sold out. But when I got home, I had an email from WM saying my phone has shipped. If it's as good as you say, it will solve multiple problems for me. I've heard the 5S doesn't run DJI GO very well, and my wife probably wouldn't like me borrowing her iPad Air all the time (the mount for which would have cost more than the Huawei). I'm also looking forward to a display that I can actually read outdoors. I'll be reviewing a lot of this thread for the excellent setup info. Appropriate that this thing is called "Ascend." Thanks, XDP!

I picked one up an ascend online last night after finding this thread. I probably could have justified buying 2 but holidays... It was also a little weird explaining to my wife why I was buying a burner phone. Should arrive here in Arizona Wednesday. The weather here is fine right now but even early in the morning during the summer I'd rather not add any stress to my 7plus and it's been 10 years since I've had the pleasure of playing with Android OS so it will be nice to sharpen those old pencils.

And for the price...

Come on.

I should have picked up 2.

Probably switching to 1080p instead to save space and edit more easily?

The thing I learned from the past is, always shoot at absolutely highest resolution you can! I have tons of old 720p footage taken with GoPro b/c at the time I thought it's enough, I can save space, etc. - but man, how I wish now that I shot it at the highest resolution! (1080p for that GoPro) Now with high-res big screens, all this old footage looks ridiculously dated and lacking detail, almost like VHS tape! So now with Mavic, it's 4K all the way, even though none of my laptops can edit them with reasonable efficiency (although my Surface Pro 4 plays 4K like a champ). 4K is still relatively new, and in a couple of years even budget laptops will render is like piece of cake.

searhing on here keeps me from searching on Amazon for more stuff to purchase

I'm still scanning slickdeals and amazon in hope for more miracles, but alas, looks like all nuggets are gone in this gold rush.

Enjoy!

Don't have my Mavic yet (still on what's-his-name's sleigh), but ordered the phone from walmart.com yesterday after discovering this thread via the "This Week's Most Popular Topics" email. Today I decided to check our local WM, with the intention of bringing one home just in case the online order didn't pan out (or to replace my iPhone 5S if it did). They were sold out. But when I got home, I had an email from WM saying my phone has shipped. If it's as good as you say, it will solve multiple problems for me. I've heard the 5S doesn't run DJI GO very well, and my wife probably wouldn't like me borrowing her iPad Air all the time (the mount for which would have cost more than the Huawei). I'm also looking forward to a display that I can actually read outdoors. I'll be reviewing a lot of this thread for the excellent setup info. Appropriate that this thing is called "Ascend." Thanks, XDP!

The screen is fantastic outside, you gonna love it! I flew several days already, more than 10 full batteries worth, on sunny days, and totally love that screen! And the ergonomics are much better than with ipad mini. The. Find. Of. The. Millenium. 'nuff said :D

Reactions: RolandW
it's been 10 years since I've had the pleasure of playing with Android OS so it will be nice to sharpen those old pencils

Android now and 10 (9?) years ago is a completely different animal. You'll love it! And Huawei's implementation of it on this phone is just fantastic, no lag or stuttering, and everything just makes sense and works. You'll be very happy you got it.

Reactions: keithhesh
My humble apologies to XDP. He did explain it all in post #90. I just missed it (even though I didn't "skim").

Phone #1 is done. Map files are loaded, 4.1.15 is loaded and running, PolarPro filter app is loaded, all garbage apps are deleted or disabled, and I'm ready to fly.

Phones 2 and 3 are in transit. #1 is for the MP, #2 is for the Spark, and #3 is for the wife. Maybe I'll get lucky later.....

Thank you to XDP et al for the help and insight!

I ordered one yesterday morning, then braced myself for the "out of stock" Dear John email. I'm happy to report that today I received an "order shipped" email. None of my local Walmarts had any stock. I'm currently an S7 user; I'll be ecstatic if I can finally use the side port short cable without fear of app crashes. I see a couple folks here reported using it; can anyone confirm that it will be more stable now? (With the DJI-supplied cable.)

Man, I spent about $25-30, half the price of Wunderphone, on two sun shades - for Note 4 and ipad mini 2; with this screen's visibility outdoors, the shades are collecting dust (although Note 4's fits it perfectly). Excuse me - just can't stop marveling at this thing. :D

I ordered one yesterday morning, then braced myself for the "out of stock" Dear John email. I'm happy to report that today I received an "order shipped" email. None of my local Walmarts had any stock. I'm currently an S7 user; I'll be ecstatic if I can finally use the side port short cable without fear of app crashes. I see a couple folks here reported using it; can anyone confirm that it will be more stable now? (With the DJI-supplied cable.)

Rock solid with the stock cable, see pic in my OP.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ADK Dragonfly