DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

$49 Huawei Ascend XT2 aka Wunderphone = THE best Mavic screen EVER

i know its probably somewhere in the thread but which variant in APK is the right one or does it matter? .15
I recall that the one beginning with 1 is for phones, 2 is for tablets.

I dunno if this has been asked but i dont think so: anyone used Litchi with this xt2 phone? If so, what are your thoughts/problems/experiences?

Reactions: shimonunit
Actually, I didn't imagine there would be a modern smartphone without one; seems kind of standard to me.

There's tons of modern smartphones that don't have gyro, the varying list of sensors and other features is a marketing mechanism to position various devices at various price levels and thus cater to wide spectrum of customers. For example, currently only flagship phones have barometer; the chip itself is no more expensive or bigger than accelerometer and is trivial to include in PCB, but they use it to position these phones as the cutting edge.

As someone who develops and knows a thing or two about sensor fusion, IMUs, etc., I can tell you that gyro is not needed to detect most of motions, accelerometer is sufficient. Gyro measures angular speed, accelerometer - apparent gravity. If gyro and accelerometer were put in the center of a disk rotating at constant RPM, gyro will measure that RPM; accelerometer will just measure 1g vector, it won't "know" that it's rotating. But because we use phones on our bodies (such as on head in VR headset), the rotation must originate from rest - i.e. you must accelerate, and in this case you can use acceleration measurements to integrate the rotation as a substitute of gyro.

At any rate, when a spec clearly states something, expecting something different is just silly and goes inline with those Dawson memes.

By the way, I tried VR Thrills app with rollercoaster rides and it works just fine. There's no Google Cardboard standalone app anymore. So, not all VR apps require gyro.

There's tons of modern smartphones that don't have gyro, the varying list of sensors and other features is a marketing mechanism to position various devices at various price levels and thus cater to wide spectrum of customers. For example, currently only flagship phones have barometer; the chip itself is no more expensive or bigger than accelerometer and is trivial to include in PCB, but they use it to position these phones as the cutting edge.

As someone who develops and knows a thing or two about sensor fusion, IMUs, etc., I can tell you that gyro is not needed to detect most of motions, accelerometer is sufficient. Gyro measures angular speed, accelerometer - apparent gravity. If gyro and accelerometer were put in the center of a disk rotating at constant RPM, gyro will measure that RPM; accelerometer will just measure 1g vector, it won't "know" that it's rotating. But because we use phones on our bodies (such as on head in VR headset), the rotation must originate from rest - i.e. you must accelerate, and in this case you can use acceleration measurements to integrate the rotation as a substitute of gyro.

At any rate, when a spec clearly states something, expecting something different is just silly and goes inline with those Dawson memes.

Just a small point I realize, but linear accelerometers are not able to substitute for rate gyros except in constrained systems. Specifically, in free body motion, there is no requirement for there to be any component of linear acceleration in order to rotate; if the accelerometer package is on the axis of rotation then it will detect nothing - as in your example. If it is off the axis then it will detect a centripetal acceleration and an initial tangential acceleration, but will be unable to distinguish those from linear acceleration and thus unable to produce a unique solution for the motion, so I'm not clear quite what you are envisaging. Are you implicitly including compass data?

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Just a small point I realize, but linear accelerometers are not able to substitute for rate gyros except in constrained systems. Specifically, in free body motion, there is no requirement for there to be any component of linear acceleration in order to rotate; if the accelerometer package is on the axis of rotation then it will detect nothing - as in your example. If it is off the axis then it will detect a centripetal acceleration and an initial tangential acceleration, but will be unable to distinguish those from linear acceleration and thus unable to produce a unique solution for the motion, so I'm not clear quite what you are envisaging. Are you implicitly including compass data?

I'm not familiar with Google Cardboard API or the way other VR apps fuse sensor data, but while absent gyro cannot create the completely realistic VR experience, accelerometer and compass are satisfactory in most cases. In VR Thrills app it was very convincing.

If anyone wants me to try some VR app where absent gyro can be a problem, let me know here.

I haven't been able to find the Screen Recorder on mine. I found the Screen Shot on the pull down menu, but not the recorder. I looked in the Apps folder also.

I'm not familiar with Google Cardboard API or the way other VR apps fuse sensor data, but while absent gyro cannot create the completely realistic VR experience, accelerometer and compass are satisfactory in most cases. In VR Thrills app it was very convincing.

If anyone wants me to try some VR app where absent gyro can be a problem, let me know here.

Interesting - I'm totally unfamiliar with VR apps, but perhaps the additional compass data are good enough to substitute. In full 3-D sensor fusion systems the primary data are from the accelerometers and the rate gyros, with barometer, magnetometer and GPS data correcting for sensor bias and drift.

on the pulldown slider look at top for stick,touch on it add screen record,already brought up in thread
on the pulldown slider look at top for stick,touch on it add screen record,already brought up in thread
Got it. I know it was brought up in the thread already, but after spending 20 minutes looking through a document the size of Obama Care and coming up dry, it's easier to just ask. It doesn't hurt anything, and the answer takes less space and time than to tell someone it was already mentioned in the thread 45 pages ago. Thanks guys.

Got it. I know it was brought up in the thread already, but after spending 20 minutes looking through a document the size of Obama Care and coming up dry, it's easier to just ask. It doesn't hurt anything, and the answer takes less space and time than to tell someone it was already mentioned in the thread 45 pages ago. Thanks guys.
I think I told you how to do it,just mentioned it was brought up in thread,you're welcome also

The item you're looking for is right in TOC in the PDF, right on the next page after the cover. PDFs are also easily searchable.

bFFJysJ.gif

Reactions: rickw
Interesting - I'm totally unfamiliar with VR apps, but perhaps the additional compass data are good enough to substitute. In full 3-D sensor fusion systems the primary data are from the accelerometers and the rate gyros, with barometer, magnetometer and GPS data correcting for sensor bias and drift.

Yep. It's just a poor man's IMU. For basic consumer stuff like a VR rollercoaster ride, it's good enough. Not bad, not great - GE.

Reactions: rickw
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos