DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

$49 Huawei Ascend XT2 aka Wunderphone = THE best Mavic screen EVER

Speaking of the hardware home button, when I disconnect, typically the last thing I do is shut down Go 4. With my S7, I hit the hard home key and then close apps from the left soft key. But the Huawei only has soft keys and they get totally obscured by the Go 4 app; so the only way I can shut it down is to hit the side power button to get home, then get to the soft key. A little bit annoying.

BTW, anyone else look at "Huawei" and see "Who are we?"

A little late to the party. I just picked up an Elate for 65 USD at a BB. It is really slick. Turns out that Cricket Wireless does not pull **** like ATT. It allowed me to skip the insert SIM part. Set up like a charm.

Also, on a full screen app, you just need to swipe from right to left at the end of the screen (on your right). The soft buttons show up then. You don't have to really hit the power button to get to them. Just a tip. :D

A little late to the party. I just picked up an Elate for 65 USD at a BB. It is really slick. Turns out that Cricket Wireless does not pull **** like ATT. It allowed me to skip the insert SIM part. Set up like a charm.

Also, on a full screen app, you just need to swipe from right to left at the end of the screen (on your right). The soft buttons show up then. You don't have to really hit the power button to get to them. Just a tip. :D
Awesome tip.

I have flown several times now with the WF with no issues at all to include down loading California map and it functions great at the flying sites. Great alternative to my Ipad mini when I just want to travel light. Thanks Extreme Drone Pilot & others for the great info.

Reactions: Dragonfly

Sounds identical to the AT&T version. I didn't have to install the SIM and I get the soft buttons swiping from the right side when in DJI app in landscape. It works out a lot better than my Samsung S7.

Reactions: Dragonfly
luckily I got two phone at $49 one from WM and one from JET. Last minute at jet too, literally. Going to unlock one and use it for travel abroad. I flew today with the mavic and wunderphone and everything was good, it runs really fast and no image lag at all which happens witih the iPhone 6 because I have lots of other apps, etc going on. But it froze the app and wouldn't respond near the end of my flight, luckily I was hovering 200 ft above my position and taking aerial photos so I was able to easily land with the RC but it scared me as if it happened before I would have been screwed. Not sure how to prevent this. I sideloaded 4.1.15 and did everything people said to the T. I tried closing and reopening app and it wouldn't connect to my aircraft so I just landed via RC. Anybody have a good fix when this happens , when you lose the app and u have to navigate via RC. Does the Return to Home button work?
Can you tell me how you got your phone unlocked? With it not connected to a carrier how is that done? I now want to use a SIM card from TMobile in mine but don't know how to get it unlocked since it was never on the ATT network.

has anyone tried to activate their wunderphone for actual phone use?,wife tried and they wanted $300 deposit,is a deposit normal on prepaids?
I just popped in an AT&T SIM from a spare phone we keep around and it worked perfectly. But I'd like to try a TMobile SIM since we sometimes lose ATT service. Nope. It wants an unlock code. Having a dilemma trying to figure out how to do that.

Update on unlock code dc unlocker told me they have the phone now but a sim unlock is complex and will take a while. I believe the huawei ascend xt already has sim unlock on their site for $4. Hopefully they will break through the xt2 soon. I will keep you posted.

Update on unlock code dc unlocker told me they have the phone now but a sim unlock is complex and will take a while. I believe the huawei ascend xt already has sim unlock on their site for $4. Hopefully they will break through the xt2 soon. I will keep you posted.

I'd like to know when they get an unlock for the phone too. I also want to be able to use it with T-Mobile, when not flying sometimes.

rooting or unlocking has nothing to do with this thread

With all due respect Sir, I beg to differ. I own three of these phones (thanks to XDP's timely genius) for dedicated use (Spark, Mavic Pro, and shared-use Inspire 1 V2.0 / Osmo white X3).

While XDP and others may embrace the RC's charging of the phone, I despise it. Rooting the phone (once the steps are determined by people far smarter than I), will enable apps that discontinue the USB charging function, removal of unwanted apps and processes, as well as opening up many other possibilities.

Some people actually want to fly with their phones, and use it with their current cell service. Unlocking information is well-within the purposes and spirit of this thread.

Well done and many thanks to all who have contributed! My WF's with all the fixin's have performed flawlessly. I am a novice pilot on a limited budget, and this equipment represents a sizeable monetary investment. These phones enable me to fly safely, confidently and efficiently, protecting those investments. I'm following this thread and anxiously await unlocking and rooting information.

Happy holidays to all!

I am very happy to report I got my wunder phone rich pilot edition as it’s been called. I haven’t had a chance to use it or fly my mavic with it but it feels like a solid piece for 60 bucks. I’m coming from an IPhone 7 and a ton of other apple products so it’s nice to see something that feels solid for nearly 20th of the price of an IPhone X.

Attachments

• 2BD451F3-E12B-49B5-870B-321FF6D63F9F.jpeg
    2BD451F3-E12B-49B5-870B-321FF6D63F9F.jpeg
    888.8 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: rickw and Dragonfly
Bad news:
Fly my Mavic in a power line. Tokyo still got electrc feed but my Mavic is down (Gimbal ribbon, plate, camera feed, front right foot and back left arm)....Waiting for DJI Japan repair center to be back in business Jan 3rd :(

Good news:
One of my friend is in US so asking him to bring me back the Cricket for New Year :D

So for the last 9mo ive been using a ipad mini 4 with 4.1.0 on the ipad and .700 on the drone.
Ive never had a crash, never had a warning, never told me i had to update, nothing but flawless performance.

I got this phone, sold the mini 4. I put 4.1.0 on the phone and .700 on the drone.
The phone has no simcard, and has been in airplane mode since i downloaded the app.

SOMEHOW, during the middle of a flight, I get a warning said i need to update something, and then the it immediately crashes (happens very fast im not sure, but i think its about the nfz database)). happens multiple times every flight, usually when its far enough away to give me a heart attack.
After it crashes, it will show the home screen with a notification: "new version, djigo4.1.18" "3 minutes ago"
How the heck?

Anyone else running something OLDER than 4.1.15? are you having any issues? I miss my ipad lol

Reactions: Mavic Johnson
Is that the exact message that comes on the screen?

You've not got it tethered to another phone or anything like that? WiFi?

Otherwise I dont see how it can pickup there is a new version available, unless you had it on WiFi in the house and didn't disable auto-updates in the Google App Store?

Definitely a quirky one though

Is that the exact message that comes on the screen?

You've not got it tethered to another phone or anything like that? WiFi?

Otherwise I dont see how it can pickup there is a new version available, unless you had it on WiFi in the house and didn't disable auto-updates in the Google App Store?

Definitely a quirky one though
auto update apps is off. I'm baffled lol

EDIT, ok i just double checked and it did have a att sim card in there. I wonder even if it doesn't have service if somehow it still connects, even just temporarily, like to check if you signed up for service?

Last edited:
auto update apps is off. I'm baffled lol

EDIT, ok i just double checked and it did have a att sim card in there. I wonder even if it doesn't have service if somehow it still connects, even just temporarily, like to check if you signed up for service?
Keep the phone in Airplane Mode! Even with auto-updates off, it still checks and notifies you of new versions. Every time you open DJl Go4, it triggers an app version check with the Play Store You should also disable notifications for the Play Store app in Android settings. Very odd that this would happen without an active data SIM.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdevyview