DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

4k Video Image Flickers, how to fix?

Reactions
I have been having a very hard time removing a flicker from my 4k videos. It is especially noticeable on vertical white features, like a railings or trees.

It often occurs on a roof, with the roofing tiles causing a resonating wave as the drone pans across.

I've tried to shoot all manual, add an ND filter, reduce the shutter, change the exposure. Nothing solves it.

Has anyone found a way to remove this video glitch? If so, can you please share the settings that you used to shoot the footage.

Thanks!

First, we need to determine if it's actually recorded on the video, rather than a playback defect of the device or software your using.

Can you see blank frames or any other visible artifact when you step through the video frame by frame? If you do see messed up frames, do you see them stepping frame by frame on an entirely different device, hardware and software, like smartphone vs. PC?

Strobing artifacts when panning gridlike patters is a well-known problem recording video. There are no settings changes that can eliminate it. The only solution I know is to pan slowly. This is discussed a lot in the blogosphere, Google it.

If you need a faster pan, you can speed it up in post if there are no visible indicators like moving objects that it's been sped up.q

Reactions: Shuriken Steve
First, we need to determine if it's actually recorded on the video, rather than a playback defect of the device or software your using.

Can you see blank frames or any other visible artifact when you step through the video frame by frame? If you do see messed up frames, do you see them stepping frame by frame on an entirely different device, hardware and software, like smartphone vs. PC?

Strobing artifacts when panning gridlike patters is a well-known problem recording video. There are no settings changes that can eliminate it. The only solution I know is to pan slowly. This is discussed a lot in the blogosphere, Google it.

If you need a faster pan, you can speed it up in post if there are no visible indicators like moving objects that it's been sped up.q
Thanks for the input. There are no missing frames. It is a range of hot pixels, or white highlights where mostly seen. Like the edge of the roofing tile alternates between light and dark. The same with railings or trees with a sun facing side. The hottest spot flickers. For consistency, I often use the Circle QuickShot, which pans at set rate. I am not sure if I can alter that speed, but will investigate as an option. Personally, google's search results are biased. I prefer to turn to niche sites like this with kindred pilots since I trust their opinions more. Unfortunately, the dozen posts on the topic did not really solve the issue for me. While, attempting to fix it in Post is always an option to explore, my 'go to' NLE, Videostudio, does not have the advanced features as Premiere. So I'm hoping there's an ideal combination of settings that can minimize the effect in camera.

I have been having a very hard time removing a flicker from my 4k videos. It is especially noticeable on vertical white features, like a railings or trees.

It often occurs on a roof, with the roofing tiles causing a resonating wave as the drone pans across.

I've tried to shoot all manual, add an ND filter, reduce the shutter, change the exposure. Nothing solves it.

Has anyone found a way to remove this video glitch? If so, can you please share the settings that you used to shoot the footage.

Thanks!
I've noticed similar issues with smaller sensors on cameras as well. They seem to have issues with bright specular reflections. Sometimes they show up as bright vertical lines. If a polarizing filter is available for your bird, this can help a lot to reduce the bright spots.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWaterOps