DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

50% Drone Security Deposit in the Bahamas?

Wow--that 70% of value over $100 is a killer. No way I'd pay that. The only way is to bring it in "under bond". They really should define exactly what that means otherwise, you may still wind up being taxed.

You would presumably need a broker to setup the bond for you. Perhaps calling ahead to some customs brokers is worth the hassle .... then there are the other rules posted above ... makes it ridiculous.

IAMA seasoned traveler who has taken lots of gear around the world professionally and for recreation.

This is VERY typical in any country with high import duties on certain product. We Americans typically think of travel to Western Europe but you'll see this throughout the former Soviet bloc, South America, and the Middle East, and Africa.

When traveling with high value goods that are likely to be illegally resold locally, customs wants to ensure that any property that enters with you leaves with you.

Consider if a carnet (no endorsement of any company or service implied in this link) is appropriate for your gear:

What is a Carnet? | ATA Carnet

I've seen this with motorcycles, camera gear, etc. Now I have little experience with Bermuda officials, but in most cases, I've experienced slow and officious service, but not outright larceny. In some cultures, especially if you are asking for a favor, it might help to offer a SMALL gift for expeditiously processing your paperwork. In some cases that gift can just be effusive thanks and not a bribe. In most others, the best thing is to be honest, straightforward, and not not be act like you're a superior prick and not convey that they're all corrupt and trying to rip you off. That is the NUMBER ONE way to screw yourself in customs.

Don't confuse your ignorance of their procedures or your expectations for instant service for theft or corruption and you'll have a much better world traveler experience.

Do your homework before traveling (like you did here!) with lots of gear.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

A Carnet? Wow. That's a major hassle to get and the liabilities can be important. Not cheap either. Not even sure a private citizen can obtain one. Ironically the worst to deal with are US Customs as most of their personnel are clueless about them - I have to lead them by the hand through almost every time. (I've travelled with major commercial and military equipment worldwide with Carnets and the only country that is a hassle is the US) - indeed I've had to leave the US w/o the US side of the Carnet paperwork cleared because the bozo at San Diego never showed up in the AM before my flight as promised. Long story[1]. So had to convince Montreal US Customs Pre-Clearance (who ONLY do inbound to the US work) to clear the outbound from US to Canada paperwork (and they don't like being ambushed at their secret door for such things - indeed in the current US insanity I wouldn't even venture to try).

All this to say that for a private citizen (esp. US) I don't believe Carnets are desirable even if they are obtainable.

[1] I often, in the US, would go to the airport the day before my flight to clear the Carnet outbound. US Customs have usually cooperated but the San Diego guy wouldn't.
The Germans are cool too about transit flights (ie: you're spending the night in a hotel but they don't force you to "import" and then "export" again or use a transit folio as long as you promise to skedadle the next day with the gear (ie: they pretend you didn't transit so they can avoid the transit paper work).

Reactions: pleasantone
I checked the regulations in Bahamas since I wanted to take my Mavic on a cruise and shoot videos at the port destinations. The regulations are extensive -- beyond the customs issues. Per Bahamas Drone Laws – UAV Systems International:

General Bahamas Drone Laws
Drone use is allowed in Bahamas, but there are several Bahamas drone laws that need to be followed when flying in the country. Operators must ensure that they follow the following laws when flying in Bahamas,
  • You cannot fly a drone weighing over 15kg unless you have received permission from the aviation authority
  • Do not operate your drone in a careless or reckless manner
  • Do not fly over property unless you have consent from the property owner
  • You must keep at least 50 feet laterally and 100 feet vertically from any person
  • You must maintain unobstructed visual line of sight at all times with your drone
  • You may not fly higher than 400 feet
  • You cannot operate your drone at night
  • You cannot operate within 8km (5 miles) of an airport or in any area that aircraft are present
  • Do not fly your drone in restricted airspace
  • You must register your drone with the aviation authority and obtain third party liability insurance
  • You must pass a skills test administered by the aviation authority and obtain a permit prior to flying your drone
  • You need to obtain a permit prior to bringing your drone into the Bahamas. In addition, while you are allowed to bring in $100 duty free you will be taxed 70% on the remaining value of the drone unless you bring it in under bond.
Where did you get this info. I just registered mine and this was not in any of the registration process. See attached image of screen shot.

Attachments

• UAV.jpg
    UAV.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 157
I am a avid cruiser to the Bahamas. I can tell you right now that I would never give their govt. a dime as there are more corrupt people than good in their system. Even as a multiple combat tour veteran, I often feel vulnerable to their hostile locals who are always looking to make a buck or scam off of tourists. Sadly we will not be going back after our last experience with getting robbed by a gang of slummers loitering by Paradise island. I have always carried a rather sharp bench-made while there, albeit the crusie ships always hassle me over it. I offered to cut one of the savages guts out but decided to let them have the measly 40 bucks they snatched from us.

On the other hand, if you can get your drone there, take some pics. The water is breathtaking. I will also add that we enjoyed half moon cay 100x better than Nassau.

Reactions: Dronecation
Interesting topic here. I have been through some shady customs before (Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar, etc) but never encountered this kind of scenario. Is the deposit just for drones or ??

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

This sucks. I guess I won't be going back to Bahamas.

I brought my Mavic there last week.
03e12f0a6f843494158306b86cd3d53e.jpg

Last edited:
I brought my Mavic there last week.
03e12f0a6f843494158306b86cd3d53e.jpg
Nice!! My drone is arriving tomorrow to my door..nvr operated one..lol. Can't wait.

You mind explaining how you were able to bring your drone to the Bahamas?

I'm leaving from NC to the Bahamas next month, and would love to take it, but from reading hear from other's experience, it may be to much hassle.. Would love to hear how ya went about it...thx

Nice!! My drone is arriving tomorrow to my door..nvr operated one..lol. Can't wait.

You mind explaining how you were able to bring your drone to the Bahamas?

I'm leaving from NC to the Bahamas next month, and would love to take it, but from reading hear from other's experience, it may be to much hassle.. Would love to hear how ya went about it...thx

I first contacted Mr. Kenny, who is secretary of Finance. He reply me and told me that I have to deposit 50% the price of the drone. I filled out the form and cash ready. When I get to Bahamas, the custom did not even ask If I bring any drone, and they did not even have scanning machines there. So I just bring the drone out with no deposit or such. I think if you travel there by cruise ship, you should be careful because I saw a "no drone sign" at the gate of their port. When I was there, I was looking for a take off place that cause less attention to people and just fly. I realized that native people there do not care if you fly a drone, they just look at it with curiosity. It seem like only the Official care about drone. I also flew in the early morning (about 7 to 8PM) when people still as sleep to avoid accident. You can see in the picture below. Only me and my drone.
1f75e94d9c12f72b78792c3e5e64cf41.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: CarolinaBlueSky
I'm flying to Nassau in a few weeks and debating on what to do. I am going to try and reach out to the secretary of Finance like those above did and also reach out to their civil aviation authority. Let's see what happens...

Reactions: WolfgangStiller
I'm flying to Nassau in a few weeks and debating on what to do. I am going to try and reach out to the secretary of Finance like those above did and also reach out to their civil aviation authority. Let's see what happens...
Please report back and let us know. Thanks!

In most countries your basically paying full customs duty on the item. If you choose to sell your drone while on vacation the local the customs are covered in advance. Unfortunately lots of people sell items for a profit so measures like these are becoming more common place.

In most countries your basically paying full customs duty on the item. If you choose to sell your drone while on vacation the local the customs are covered in advance. Unfortunately lots of people sell items for a profit so measures like these are becoming more common place.

I would think 50% would be a pretty hefty duty. I wonder if that's what they actually charge in the Bahamas. If that's so, it's pretty horrible for the people the there.

I would think 50% would be a pretty hefty duty. I wonder if that's what they actually charge in the Bahamas. If that's so, it's pretty horrible for the people the there.

You have no idea my friend. In most Caribbean countries 50%-60% is normal. Cars can have duties that got from 70%-150% depending on the CC rating of the engine.

Have you ever wondered why most people on the islands Drive in smaller 2 Litre vehicles? That because anything above 2 Litres takes you into the 100%+ duty ranges.

The only things that are duty free are energy saving products and literature. You can bring in solar panels duty free also books, magazines etc. Everything else has some form of duty attached. Most officers will not go after the small stuff but they will go after the more expensive items. Personal items like phones, cameras and tablets (that are for your personal use) are exempt from duty.

Thats why I said in an earlier post you can join the "Nothing To Declare" line at customs and try to sneak in your Mavic but if you tick the nothing to declare box and sign the form and they pull you out of line like they do 1 in 10 people and they find the Mavic.... Lets just say that they will charge you duty on even your toothpaste or worst if you meet a complete Wanker he may charge you with breaching the customs laws. This very rarely happens but it has happened to people I have met.

Rob

You have no idea my friend. In most Caribbean countries 50%-60% is normal. Cars can have duties that got from 70%-150% depending on the CC rating of the engine.

Have you ever wondered why most people on the islands Drive in smaller 2 Litre vehicles? That because anything above 2 Litres takes you into the 100%+ duty ranges.

The only things that are duty free are energy saving products and literature. You can bring in solar panels duty free also books, magazines etc. Everything else has some form of duty attached. Most officers will not go after the small stuff but they will go after the more expensive items. Personal items like phones, cameras and tablets (that are for your personal use) are exempt from duty.

Thats why I said in an earlier post you can join the "Nothing To Declare" line at customs and try to sneak in your Mavic but if you tick the nothing to declare box and sign the form and they pull you out of line like they do 1 in 10 people and they find the Mavic.... Lets just say that they will charge you duty on even your toothpaste or worst if you meet a complete Wanker he may charge you with breaching the customs laws. This very rarely happens but it has happened to people I have met.

Rob

Wow--it's a shame to see governments do things like this to their own people.

Reactions: Robbyg
Wow--it's a shame to see governments do things like this to their own people.

Yes it is a huge shame and it breeds a lot of resentment with the people! How do they get away with it you ask. Social conditioning and the fact that the vast majority of voters do not own a car and therefore use horrible public transportation.

Imagine buying a car for $30,000. and then bringing it into a country and having to pay another $30,000 to get some bureaucrat to sign a paper and stamp it! And BTW I am really simplifying the process here. You have to apply for an import permit and then submit that plus the cars title and a bunch of other personal info including your Tax status before you can get permission to clear the vehicle from the port. All of this can take up to two to three weeks of back and forth. If your personal Taxes are not up to date you have to pay all of it or your out of luck! It's like your begging them to accept your $30,000 for doing nothing but making life more difficult.

Rob

Yes it is a huge shame and it breeds a lot of resentment with the people! How do they get away with it you ask. Social conditioning and the fact that the vast majority of voters do not own a car and therefore use horrible public transportation.

Imagine buying a car for $30,000. and then bringing it into a country and having to pay another $30,000 to get some bureaucrat to sign a paper and stamp it! And BTW I am really simplifying the process here. You have to apply for an import permit and then submit that plus the cars title and a bunch of other personal info including your Tax status before you can get permission to clear the vehicle from the port. All of this can take up to two to three weeks of back and forth. If your personal Taxes are not up to date you have to pay all of it or your out of luck! It's like your begging them to accept your $30,000 for doing nothing but making life more difficult.

Rob

OMG! That's awful.

I am heading to the Bahamas in April and had planned to take the new Mavic Air. I went ahead and registered it here and have a letter of permission from the Bahamas, but there is no way I would pay $3-400 cash to some bureaucrat at the airport, So it isn't going with me.

Why not just state the drone is worth 50 bucks ? Give them 50 % of that ? Don't be honest, with the dishonest

Guys, I live it the Caribbean. Yes, we pay a lot of import duty. Cars indeed carry up to 70% duty, rest of stuff is normally 40%. But...... no income tax, no state tax, no federal tax, no annual property tax and no winter clothes!!!!!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada