DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

50% Drone Security Deposit in the Bahamas?

I recently traveled with my MP (from Dominican Republic) to Bahamas via the US, and went on a cruise from Italy to the Greek Islands, and I am happy to report that nobody has ever opened or cared about my MP in my soft DJI bag. I must have gone through countless metal detectors and baggage searches. If somebody asks, I say it's a camera.

I took my MP to Indonesia and it was great. They even have drone rental shops in Bali and a few other places. They ask that you stay under 150 meters, away from airports, military, Mosques, Temples and just be a good pilot. Anthony Bourdain said Indonesia is a place so many people visit and never want to come home, that's just because the people are so friendly...I flew in a large park, along several scenic paces and at some points we almost needed traffic control, with 4 or 5 drones in the air at the same time. In Manado, Malang and Warna Warni and Bali there are so many places to video and such nice people, it's easy to loose your return ticket...no questions or issues at all with customs, security or local police.

Attachments

• KIMG0634.JPG
    KIMG0634.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 36
  • 20180718_145916.jpg
    20180718_145916.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 36
Reactions: conchman
I'll be entering Nassau, Half Moon Cay, Amber Cove, and Grand Turk via the cruise ports. Do you think I'll have the same Customs regulations/hassle of going through the process to get my drone in? What about just launching from the port's dock/pier, thus never officially entering through Customs? Has anyone else entered these countries via cruise ships without issue?

The plan is to simply have my Mavic carried in via my hiking backpack. No boxes, no heavy equipment, not for re-sale!

Side note - I did go to St Lucia last year for our Honeymoon and we flew in, went through Customs, and had no issues flying around the island or at the resort.

Reactions: Don't Wanna
I'll be entering Nassau, Half Moon Cay, Amber Cove, and Grand Turk via the cruise ports. Do you think I'll have the same Customs regulations/hassle of going through the process to get my drone in? What about just launching from the port's dock/pier, thus never officially entering through Customs? Has anyone else entered these countries via cruise ships without issue?

The plan is to simply have my Mavic carried in via my hiking backpack. No boxes, no heavy equipment, not for re-sale!

Side note - I did go to St Lucia last year for our Honeymoon and we flew in, went through Customs, and had no issues flying around the island or at the resort.
I wouldn't fly from, near, or around any port/pier. I would use a soft bag and dont declare it at customs, if they see it say it's your camera. Dont tell the cruise line either, just keep it in backpack it wont attract attention in the machines at port and on ship.

I wouldn't fly from, near, or around any port/pier. I would use a soft bag and dont declare it at customs, if they see it say it's your camera. Dont tell the cruise line either, just keep it in backpack it wont attract attention in the machines at port and on ship.

I see you're in Puerto Plata. Any good little snorkel beaches off the beaten path that aren't too loaded with tourists? Perhaps something with some snorkel gear and a taco/food cabana nearby so we can just walk out to the beach for a swim and then right back up for some food? Cheers!

I see you're in Puerto Plata. Any good little snorkel beaches off the beaten path that aren't too loaded with tourists? Perhaps something with some snorkel gear and a taco/food cabana nearby so we can just walk out to the beach for a swim and then right back up for some food? Cheers!
Hi! Snorkeling not so good in the PP area, especially after it rains because of the rivers. Brigantine beach is empty and has a couple food places, but it's not so easy to get there. The beach off Sosua has good snorkeling, it also has food cabanas, however there are dozens of them and the beach gets very crowded on the weekend. Sosua is your best bet, you can hire a little boat to take you out snorkeling it will be cheap and there is a spot off the beach you can swim there, where they feed fish. Write me private message if you need more info. Peace!

Reactions: MittenDroneMedia
I am going to the Bahamas shortly. I saw a video on Youtube in which the author's drone was confiscated at the airport by customs. He was able to retrieve it by paying a security deposit which he did not get back. This happened in 2015.
I called the Ministry of Finance and was told that I could email them my name, address, make & model of my drone, and its value and they would have my paperwork waiting for me at customs when I arrive. They want a security deposit worth 50% of the drone's value to get my clearance. The security deposit has to be paid in cash. Supposedly the deposit can be reclaimed when I leave. Can these folks be trusted?

Frank
I don’t visit Anti drone countries. Just like when I go to Colorado, if the town is anti weed, I book somewhere else. They will eventually figure it out.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Very interested in this. We traveled to Eleuthera (Bahamas) last year and plan on going back again. This time with my Mavic. I'll really want to research this before I do.
Mavic_ Ward, I’m going to Eleuthera this week and I’m still confused about rather bringing my mini 2 or not! Did you bring yours? How was your experience? Thanks

Mavic_ Ward, I’m going to Eleuthera this week and I’m still confused about rather bringing my mini 2 or not! Did you bring yours? How was your experience? Thanks

Just a heads up, the member was last seen on the site in 2017 and may not see your post here today in 2022.

You might send him an email if it's still working and perhaps he'll respond. 🤔

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Thank you for the tip!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO