DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

50 years old starting first fligt

Well lets just keep this going. I'm 72 and awaiting my first drone, a Mavic but it's a ways out yet. I hesitated joining the forum because I was sure (and still am) that it is mostly made up of people the age of my grandchildren. After coming across Rob P62 hychewright's then Hunter's posts among others I found hope that I was not alone in my age bracket.

I began reading forums to learn more about flying drones. While I am new to drone's I do have over 10,000 hours in helicopters and find it interesting that there are many common threads between the two. The last 13 years of my flying life was with Flight for Life out of Denver, CO. I think I still hold the record for the number of helicopter flights over the continental divide. The best advice I would give is to know your aircraft's limits, know your limits and know when to say no.

A tip of the hat to all of you in that this is one of the more civilized and informative forums I have found.

It is a great time to begin droning around, they have become so refined that even after all the reading you have done you will still be thoroughly impressed with the flight characteristics. I bet you will gain a feeling that this is more instrument quality rather than as toyish as you might possibly expect. They are just pretty darn refined at this point. I am a pilot too but not at your level, just a private 52 year old with a few hundred hours. No planes anymore but had Grumman, Piper, Cessna and an Ercoupe over the years. Welcome aboard !!

Helo, from a fixed wing flier to a rotary flier the same golden rule holds firm flying our Mavvies.....'Don't do anything stupid !' [emoji51]

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I'm in my late 40's also. It seems like just yesterday that I was the "young" kid in all my hobbies. Nice to see plenty of us "experienced" guys around here. Anyway, my batteries are charged, time to go play!

well here we go on the maiden voyage. All powered up, updated and set up Freak an A im scarred nothing like the fear of trashing a $1,000 plus drone on its first time up. WIS ME LUCK

You're never too old to have fun. The Mavic's size, weight, and safety features are a big plus. It's weigh better than flying a craft that weighs 3-4 pounds and watching it fly away. Now that's fear.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

d59f21427a2bc4d25324e37d0ad70e37.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920T using MavicPilots mobile app

Another old dude joining in. I'm 58 and just ordered my Mavic from DJI (first quad copter for me). I had a viable aerial photography business for 8 yrs with an electric r/c custom slow flying aircraft ....... until the FAA shut me down in 2009. Called all my customers and sadly told them I was done.

I am blown away at how far and fast the drone technology has unfolded the past few years and waited until now to pull the trigger. Can't wait till my Mavic arrives in February !!

John

Reactions: kinsey
Turned 59 in November... I've been flying Phantom's since the P1 - almost 4 years ago. Love it..somewhat of a drone junky. :) Now have a P3Pro, P4Pro & Glyph goggles. I had a Mavic on order, but went with the P4Pro as soon as it came out (for the camera). Still planning to get a Mavic sometime this year.

Is 41 considered old or is it considered middle life with crisis on hand? Impulse buy of Mavic will be flying for the very first time.

Is 41 considered old or is it considered middle life with crisis on hand? Impulse buy of Mavic will be flying for the very first time.

Haha, sounds familiar!

I feel young and going halfway 45 hope to feel like this for years to come.
And yes, when i came across the Mavic i just had to scratch the itch.
This is also my first drone, only had a rc petrol car so that's going to be interesting. Maybe impulse but even reading all the things here that can go wrong no regrets. Hope to get the little bugger (combo) soon.

In the meantime (one of the positives of waiting since 30 sept.) i have been soaking up to do's and dont's info like a sponge frome the net.

Nice to see that there are a load of us old guys still having fun that's what its all about ;) I am 62 in March still waiting for my Mavic since October have also P3 Advanced. Fly safe people.

This proves that we are never to old to have fun whatever your hobby happens too be. I really love the Mavic Pro, waiting now for the DJI goggles to get here to use with the Mavic.

Guys mad respect. I'm 30 I think everyone no matter what age should be doing this flying a mavic is something special. I wish you all the best of luck.

No dude your alive live it man learn it and go film some stuff... ps something I did at first was to be in a open area first and set the rth return to home at 250 feet that way it would clear anything on its way back well more than the set 100 feet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mandeh