DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

50MP 1" sensor a wise choice?

Filmarik

Reactions
I wonder if this new 50MP sensor behind the 24mm lens is true 50MP or similar gimick to the 70mm so called 48MP sensor. The 48MP mode on Mavic 3 Pro 70mm camera introduces lots of undesirable "effects" such as color bleeding on sharp edges of buildings, smeared fine organic details and other not so nice artifacts. The 12MP mode is much cleaner and the gain in details in 48MP mode definitely does not reflect the 3 fold pixel number resolution one might expect. And the low light performance is terrible in 48MP mode..
I get it the high pixel count sensors in some modern phone cameras allow for some clever processing possibilities i.e. increased dynamic range (HDR) and better low light/night mode performance with reduced noise etc but purely for detail in good light, I am a bit sceptical about the 50MP photos...

Last edited:
Reactions: projectarjun
If they were doing it like the way flagship phones do it these days, take multiple shots and blend them together with processing, it might be more interesting.

But I doubt that the processor they use can do what these top phones are doing.

In fact I wonder if the 20 megapixel on my Mavic 2 Pro will producer "cleaner" results than this quad-Bayer sensor.

Obviously the hype on the large megapixel count may get them some sales.

If they were doing it like the way flagship phones do it these days, take multiple shots and blend them together with processing, it might be more interesting.

But I doubt that the processor they use can do what these top phones are doing.

In fact I wonder if the 20 megapixel on my Mavic 2 Pro will producer "cleaner" results than this quad-Bayer sensor.

Obviously the hype on the large megapixel count may get them some sales.
I suspect a 20MP 1" on your Mavic 2 and 20MP M43 sensor on Mavic 3 will deliver cleaner photos than this 50MP 1"sensor. We will no doubt hear from the first owners of Air3S soon😀. Hopefully a honest assessment once the initial excitement subsides. It might be good enough for "travelers" as DJI is positioning this drone as "a perfect drone for travel photography" whatever that means....

Last edited:
Reactions: projectarjun
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scaven