Join Us Now

6,300 ft up with 5% battery

sar104

Dic mihi solum facta, domina.
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
www.mavicpilots.com
I recently received a request to try to determine the location a lost Mavic Pro that lost power and shut down in mid-air. The logs were interesting from several perspectives. Firstly - the summary graph, which tells the basic story:

Battery.png

The aircraft ran out of battery and lost flight control and propulsion at just under 5,000 ft AGL, but the logs continued for another 6 seconds or so. The log data showed a consistent and steady wind field (~ 30 mph out of the west), but when I ran the usual numerical simulations of the resulting descent it became apparent that the drag coefficient was wrong - at the end of the log it had already exceeded the predicted terminal velocity by around 2 m/s.

Climb_2.png

Anyway - averaging a number of simulations, varying wind speed/direction and drag, yielded a likely crash location with an uncertainty circle of around 150 meters radius. The crash site was found around 50 meters from the center of the circle, which is reasonable, but in confirming the log data it also confirmed that the variation of drag with altitude is not negligible. Drag scales with fluid density and the square of the velocity, and at 5,000 ft AMSL the air is significantly less dense than at sea level, making my previous constant drag coefficient significantly wrong at higher altitudes. Adding a density-dependent drag, based on altitude in a standard atmosphere, shows the size of the variation:

density.png

That shows a 15% variation over 5,000 ft altitude change. Implementing that directly in the numerical simulation fixed the problem quite well - it yielded a match to both the vertical descent speed at the end of the log and the actual impact point to within a few meters:

Results1.png

screenshot272.jpg

While it's only matched to one data set, since we don't often see 5,000 ft free fall events, I'm fairly confident that the altitude-dependent form of the drag is pretty close, and I'll use that for future incidents.

As for the flight itself - don't try that at home.

blasted thermals they will get you every time especially if you have changed,the max altitude geo fence parameter

I recently received a request to try to determine the location a lost Mavic Pro that lost power and shut down in mid-air. The logs were interesting from several perspectives. Firstly - the summary graph, which tells the basic story:

View attachment 85162

The aircraft ran out of battery and lost flight control and propulsion at just under 5,000 ft AGL, but the logs continued for another 6 seconds or so. The log data showed a consistent and steady wind field (~ 30 mph out of the west), but when I ran the usual numerical simulations of the resulting descent it became apparent that the drag coefficient was wrong - at the end of the log it had already exceeded the predicted terminal velocity by around 2 m/s.

View attachment 85165

Anyway - averaging a number of simulations, varying wind speed/direction and drag, yielded a likely crash location with an uncertainty circle of around 150 meters radius. The crash site was found around 50 meters from the center of the circle, which is reasonable, but in confirming the log data it also confirmed that the variation of drag with altitude is not negligible. Drag scales with fluid density and the square of the velocity, and at 5,000 ft AMSL the air is significantly less dense than at sea level, making my previous constant drag coefficient significantly wrong at higher altitudes. Adding a density-dependent drag, based on altitude in a standard atmosphere, shows the size of the variation:

View attachment 85167

That shows a 15% variation over 5,000 ft altitude change. Implementing that directly in the numerical simulation fixed the problem quite well - it yielded a match to both the vertical descent speed at the end of the log and the actual impact point to within a few meters:

View attachment 85168

View attachment 85169

While it's only matched to one data set, since we don't often see 5,000 ft free fall events, I'm fairly confident that the altitude-dependent form of the drag is pretty close, and I'll use that for future incidents.

As for the flight itself - don't try that at home.
So does that mean at time 80 s, it was falling at roughly 42 miles per hour? If that is true, it would more than just hurt!

Very interesting flight, good job interpreting it.
Next on the bucket list, set a waypoint in the middle of the Atlantic and see what happens...

• Haha
Reactions: Gindra and Thomas B
So does that mean at time 80 s, it was falling at roughly 42 miles per hour? If that is true, it would more than just hurt!

Impact should have occurred at approximately 71seconds, at which point the simulation indicates it was descending at 43 mph and moving east at 32 mph, for a total speed of around 54 mph.

Plastic everywhere over a large area!

Actually the photo I saw showed a largely undamaged Mavic, with all props still intact and attached, but the battery missing. I suspect that it may have crashed into the sea.

Mind blowing how these crash analysis are made.
It would be great if the pilot concerned in this crash posted up (or allowed it) the photos etc along with the analysis.

Good to have you on the forum sar107 / BudWalker, and others that are obviously getting into the data more to learn and share their thoughts on these incidents.
The reports you all do are always very interesting to follow.

Mind blowing how these crash analysis are made.
It would be great if the pilot concerned in this crash posted up (or allowed it) the photos etc along with the analysis.

Good to have you on the forum sar107 / BudWalker, and others that are obviously getting into the data more to learn and share their thoughts on these incidents.
The reports you all do are always very interesting to follow.

The pilot, not surprisingly, is not keen to be identified. The aircraft had clearly been in the sea, but when is uncertain.

fullsizeoutput_b9b.jpeg

E102ACDA-4CD0-476E-8B46-DC9FD8113942.jpeg

Thanks for those pics, and yes no problems for the pilot to remain anon, understandable although we can all make mistakes of course.

An M1P by the looks, poor thing has had a time with the tide playing with it, perhaps washing up and found quite some time later by the looks of the corrosion.
The pilot was lucky to find it, or perhaps someone found it and their info and returned it.

Again, awesome work on the location estimate, that 6 secs of extra no power data must have helped.

Thanks for those pics, and yes no problems for the pilot to remain anon, understandable although we can all make mistakes of course.

An M1P by the looks, poor thing has had a time with the tide playing with it, perhaps washing up and found quite some time later by the looks of the corrosion.
The pilot was lucky to find it, or perhaps someone found it and their info and returned it.

Again, awesome work on the location estimate, that 6 secs of extra no power data must have helped.

The aircraft crashed on October 26 and was found by the owner on October 29. I guess that's what 3 days of salt water will do.

Toast at least would be a tasty snack. That's just nasty.
sure was, glad no one was lying on the beach where it landed , the way you do your reports is truly amazing respect to you

How do you actually find something like a Mavic in salt water? Must have been relatively shallow I would guess.
I fly over salt water almost every flight, I wouldn't even bother to go looking.

How do you actually find something like a Mavic in salt water? Must have been relatively shallow I would guess.
I fly over salt water almost every flight, I wouldn't even bother to go looking.

It wasn't in the water when it was found.

Well, he’s lucky the NTSB isn’t involved like with that P4 pilot who got his mixed up with a Blackhawk.

Well, he’s lucky the NTSB isn’t involved like with that P4 pilot who got his mixed up with a Blackhawk.

Just to clarify - this was not in the US. But agreed - flying at that altitude certainly risks conflict with regular traffic. The location was only 5 km or so from the local airport, although not a busy one.

Was it involved in some way with a manned aircraft ?
If so, I didn't pick that up, but yeah altitude wise it may well be of interest to FAA or whoever anyway.
Being a drone, if nothing else was involved bar the drone crashing, then the NTSB might not be interested in it based on that alone . . . or maybe they do look at illegal flights of unmanned aircraft there ?
Are they a branch of the FAA ?

Was it involved in some way with a manned aircraft ?
If so, I didn't pick that up, but yeah altitude wise it may well be of interest to FAA or whoever anyway.
Being a drone, if nothing else was involved bar the drone crashing, then the NTSB might not be interested in it based on that alone . . . or maybe they do look at illegal flights of unmanned aircraft there ?
Are they a branch of the FAA ?

The FAA and the NTSB are both government agencies, but the NTSB is completely independent from the FAA and DOT. The FAA regulates while the NTSB investigates.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manu Gopinath